PCGS results!1982d penny

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by sunday13, Jan 16, 2019.

1. sunday13

sunday13 Active Member

Would you mind sharing your expertise? I hate being alone on this one!

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Sullysullinburg

Sullysullinburg Well-Known Member

Please explain the story of how this came to be.

TypeCoin971793 likes this.
  4. sunday13

sunday13 Active Member

I was debating between a doubling on the date and the "d" AND on a small date. I wasn't sure. I am not an expert but I am trying my best with my research, red book, forums etc so I decided to send it no matter what.. This is what they came up with..

5. Sullysullinburg

Sullysullinburg Well-Known Member

Well it appears you’ve already went ahead and had it slabbed, which answers both those questions.

6. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

well that was a waste of money....

PlanoSteve and TypeCoin971793 like this.
  7. TyCobb

TyCobb A product of PMD

Feel free to post here first before slabbing. That's large a mile away :oops:

8. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Large date. Worthless.
    Well, not worthless but a .01 cent coin in a $30 slab.
    A nice metaphor for the consumer driven capitalistic American oppressors.

ACoinJob, roman99, Kentucky and 3 others like this.
  9. sunday13

sunday13 Active Member

Yes, I went ahead and that was a mistake. I took the risk. I learned now. I just wanted to share with you guys. I really appreciate your time.

Kentucky, paddyman98, C-B-D and 2 others like this.
  10. sunday13

sunday13 Active Member

I will. I just wanted to give it a try. I am not pretending to be too confident. Just tried my luck, you know. Thank you

Kentucky likes this.
  11. sunday13

sunday13 Active Member

Well, the PCGS guys might still be laughing at me. (they are getting their paycheck from ignorant people like myself)I already pictured that. Are you willing to bring that memory back to my head? like..please.

Kentucky and JPeace$ like this.
  12. sunday13

sunday13 Active Member

Yes, I figured. Thank you for your time

14. Hope you Better luck next time

15. frankjg

frankjg Well-Known Member

No such thing as luck or trying your luck when it comes to coins. These are not scratch off lottery tickets.

Coins, varieties, errors, etc.. are rooted in FACT and all the information YOU could ever need to IDENTIFY what YOU have is available on the internet or in a multitude of books that amazon will have at your doorstep the very next day.

You thought you were putting a cent in a PCGS slot machine and somehow it would come up all cherries. That’s not how this works.

Unfortunately, unless you, and many others like you, learn their lesson, you will absolutely do this again and become frustrated with coin collecting and quit the hobby.

Pick up a book and educate yourself before doing anything else.

I’d start with the Red Book and go from there.

16. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Kudos for putting up your money. A lot of new members come here getting upset when they don't hear what they want, then storm off and never put their money where their mouth is. I've done it before as well for the education. Years ago sent in two 1852 3 cent pieces that I hoped were the very rare inverted date variety. Neither was, and I lost money selling them. BUT... I learned.

17. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

@sunday13

Thanks for sharing your story. I'm willing to bet that what you've learned from the experience is worth more than $30. Hopefully, new collectors can learn from this as well (although 2 years on CT tells me that it's unlikely :banghead:).

There are many knowledgeable and experienced numismatists on here. Stick around and I know you'll continue to build you knowledge

paddyman98 and C-B-D like this.
  18. RittenhouseCU

RittenhouseCU Member

BINGO! Do your research before you try to hit the "slab lottery." A quick google would have shown you that these are extremely rare, so your odds were slim to none. Plus, several sites have very clear pics of the 2 in the date being very far from the rim:

1982DSmallDateCentCrop.jpg

Educate yourself BEFORE you spend your money or you're gonna lose a ton of cash. There is no Santa Claus in numismatics or anything else in life. But, an educated person can make his own luck.

sunday13 and frankjg like this.
  19. IBetASilverDollar

IBetASilverDollar Well-Known Member

THIS!

Was going to say similar. People come here with the "valuable" finds and are told it's worth 1C and get angry and think everyone is out to get them when they could just, like you did, send it in and get a lesson good or bad.

I also learned early on I have about zero interest ever sending any coin in for grading it's a complete money pit for a collector (different if you're doing this for a living). I just buy coins already slabbed or if I buy them raw they stay that way. I've probably burned $1k in unnecessary grading fees the last few years, could have another nice type example with those funds.

paddyman98 likes this.
  20. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

There are knowledgeable people here who would have giving you advice on what your coin is, and if it is worth grading or not. If it was real, no one is trying to trick you, they would be happy for you (and jealous) and pleased that you would show your find of a lifetime here first. You could have gotten a lesson for free.
    And if you did show this coin in another thread earlier, then I know you were already told to save your money. It's one thing to be tenacious. It's another to be stubborn and mule headed.

Draft saved Draft deleted