PCGS refuses to grade my CHEERIOS pattern Sacajawea!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Hunting Rare, Jun 23, 2019.

1. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

Story of my life. I went to a coin show in Texas once and asked someone about where I could find a tough Walker. Chuck Norris showed up kicked my a$$! No respect I tell ya, no respect at all!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

my opinion, "cheerios dollar" is a marketing gimmick, if you want that on your slab, so be it, but I think PCGS or NGC would be right to ask it be submitted with packaging to make it crystal clear it came from Cheerios packaging.

However. I believe it is a variety/pattern, and it should be designated and cataloged as one, and not slabbed by the marketing gimmick of Cheerios Dollar.

They are listed in the Cherrypicker's Guide, Fourth Edition Volume II, Fivaz and Stanton describe the coin as "Enhanced Reverse Die" and gave it a catalog number of FS-C1-2000P-901.

As far as the coin goes, 5500 were struck for Cheerios as giveaways with this reverse, HOWEVER, not every Cheerios dollar that comes out of a cereal box in the packaging had the enhanced reverse.
    It's safe to say that there were some of them that were the normal reverse in the cereal, and likely some of the 5500 with enhanced reverse that went into rolls and to circulation.

If it were me, I'd want it identified by the FS number. for the enhanced reverse. There are many slabbed cheerios dollars, I am sure there are some early graded ones with the regular reverse sitting in "Cheerios Dollar" labeled slabs because early on they thought they were all the same until a difference was noticed 5 years after the giveaway ended

also I'm not sure if the FS number was changed over the years, I know there was some confusion with the cheerios dollar FS-C1-2000P-901 and the wounded eagle FS-S1-2000P-901. this number may have been changed to reduce confusions (I never understood it, like every coin and year from cent to dollar coins has a FS901)

I think PCGS has it two ways, one with only "cheerios dollar" (PCGS #: 411990)
    and the other with "Cheerios dollar" and "FS-902" (PCGS #:147231) in both cases, they required the packaging to grade an encapsulate, just like they do with the 2000 cheerios cents.

Personally if I had one I wouldn't be so concerned about it saying "Cheerios dollar" on it as I am that the pattern/variety is attributed correctly. But I get it since it's commonly called, Cheerios dollar, why you'd want it on there for visibility if you went to sell it.

Probably ANACS would slab it as "cheerios pattern reverse" but I'm not sure PCGS or NCG will cross it over without having the packaging to prove it came from a cheerios box, because in the end, that's what they required for them to slab them as Cheerios dollars.

CoinCorgi likes this.
  4. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

Also, this isn't the reverse of 1999 which didn't exist technically, and would of been a SBA dollar reverse, but this is a reverse created and struck in 1999 for some sample coins in 22K gold. This is the reverse used for the 12 examples in 22K they sent to space on Shuttle Columbia in 1999 that currently reside in Ft. Knox. (according to legend, LOL).

Theory is they used this die for those 12 examples in 22K, and decided it has some life left on it to run the 5500 for Cheerios. also why it's referred to as a pattern reverse because it was used for pattern pieces.

These were struck pre-2000 so they could go to cheerios and be packaged and inserted into a product run and distributed across the country for the beginning of 2000. Also not every cheerios dollar is this pattern reverse. so they ran this die pair and another die pair at least, and picked out the 5500 for Cheerios, and the rest sat in a bin until they ran the rest for circulation whatever was produced I suspect from 2 die pairs, one being with this pattern reverse.

Just a guess based off observations, but not every cheerios dollar in packaging is this pattern reverse, I think it's safe to assume some with this pattern reverse sat behind at the mint and went out to circulation with the bins and rolls of 2000Ps.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2020
    CoinCorgi likes this.
  5. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

They generally won't allow crossovers to keep the designation for anything from anyone that was required to be submitted in the packaging

John Burgess likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted