PCGS refuses to grade my CHEERIOS pattern Sacajawea!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Hunting Rare, Jun 23, 2019.

1. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

I clicked best answer.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dennis5151

dennis5151 Ole Grim and I are on first name basis.

Thanks...…….. so now on to getting a Fivaz-Stanton number assigned to a circulated pattern (fine detailed) 2000P prototype.

I will work on it. Perhaps it has already been requested.

4. dennis5151

dennis5151 Ole Grim and I are on first name basis.

Grandkid said I was too close to coin. Better pictures attached. AU 58 2000P Sun Apr 19 15-05-22.jpg Sun Apr 19 15-05-22.jpg

TexAg likes this.
  5. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Does it need a new number just because it's circulated?

6. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

I would not expect Fivaz and Stanton to add any number by request. I really do not know why the 'cheerio' dollar is listed as it was done only once and only for a commercial event. They have however removed a few over the editions.IMO, Jim

7. TexAg

TexAg Well-Known Member

Thanks for pointing this out. I recently was confusing FS as First Strike on an ANACS slab I have until I looked it up and discovered it stood for the Fivaz-Stanton numbering system. 901-909 refers to Reverse Varieties, Miscellaneous.

I respectfully disagree. The PCGS should be able to tell if a coin has been circulated by it’s condition, not it’s history. They do this all the time on other coins. Also, if I was lucky enough to find one of the 5,500 Sac dollars we are talking about in circulation (i.e. not in the original Cheerios wrapper), I would still refer to it as a “Cheerios Dollar” because of the reverse design elements. And, I would not send it to PCGS for grading if they could not figure out it was a Cheerios Dollar and attribute it as such.

Martha Lynn likes this.
  8. gronnh20

gronnh20 Well-Known Member

So you are saying the only way to get this enhanced tail feathers Sacajawea Dollar coin was from the Cheerios box? No way, no how, some of these enhanced tail feather die varieties ended up in the bin with some business strikes. I think if NGC or PCGS thought that 5500 was the concrete, firm, number for this variety, then they would slab unpackaged circulated coins.

If I found one in the wild, with enhanced tail feathers, I would call it a Cheerios dollar also. If I was buying one, then PCGS or NGC would get my business. They guarantee the coin came from the Cheerios packaging.

baseball21 likes this.
  9. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

You can ask @Insider if ICG would grade it and what label they would put on it if circulated and no official wrap. He is extremely knowledgeable. Jim

Spark1951 likes this.
  10. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Great shots, but sorry, I'm asking for a whole slab shot. Basically, the entire slab, front and back, so I can zoom in on it.

11. BoBo

BoBo New Member

12. BoBo

BoBo New Member

Why could you not just ask to have it slabbed as "Reverse of 1999" You can't "Prove" it came out of the Cheerios.

13. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

It shouldn’t matter. If it’s the enhanced tail feather die variety, they should add the variety on the label. No need to mention “Cheerios”. A professional grader should be able to identify the variety.

see https://www.thesprucecrafts.com/cheerios-dollar-profile-768545

14. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

At first, I agreed that all the coins with the Cheerios reverse should be called Cheerios Dollars. That's because MUCH of the time I think the way the top two services have done things in the past STUPID! They have come a long way towards serving the collector - mostly forced to improve by the customer-friendly second-tier services.

After reading this, I agree with how they have handled the variety. It needs to be taken out of the original container to get the Cheerios label.

ICG would handle it differently. We would probably use the FS# and put "Cheerios" in quotation marks for a coin outside the container.

micbraun, wxcoin and ldhair like this.
  15. TexAg

TexAg Well-Known Member

Thanks for your reply @gronnh20. My understanding is that the coins issued for the Cheerios promotion were from an early reverse die that was not used on any other coins. Please cite the source that says enhanced tail feather coins ended up in the bin with business strikes and were issued apart from the Cheerios promotion. BTW, the PCGS Population Report has only 4 line entries for the 2000-P Sacagawea:
    2000-P
    2000-P Mule w/ State 25c obverse
    2000-P “Cheerios” Dollar
    2000-P Wounded Eagle
    There is no entry for a 2000-P w/ 1999 Reverse.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2020
  16. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

@paddyman98 congrats on the "Best Answer" lol

wxcoin, paddyman98 and TexAg like this.
  17. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

18. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

Will this never end????:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::confused::confused::confused::confused:

19. TexAg

TexAg Well-Known Member

Great pictures of the enhanced tail feathers of the Cheerios Dollar! Congratulations on having this coin, I am jealous! How did you acquire the raw coin?

20. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

No way

Kentucky likes this.
  21. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

No respect

wxcoin likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted