PCGS refuses to grade my CHEERIOS pattern Sacajawea!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Hunting Rare, Jun 23, 2019.

1. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Thank you!!!!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. CaptHenway

CaptHenway Survivor

I see nothing in these or the previous pictures that makes me think that this is a "Cheerios Dollar."
    TD

Insider likes this.
  4. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

The pictures are not clear enough to offer an opinion...Spark

Martha Lynn likes this.
  5. Chuck_A

Chuck_A Well-Known Member

I agree 100 on that, what would be the point in sending it to pcgs and paying the extra cost?

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
    Hunting Rare likes this.
  6. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

I wait with baited breath...anchovy pizza...

7. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

You can't call anything with anchovies pizza.

Cheech9712 and Kentucky like this.
  8. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

With better photos, actual informed opinions could be made. As it stands now, my only recommendation is to go by a digital camera and cheap tripod than can shoot directly downwards, and you photos will instantly be 10x better.

You could run to a local store and have it purchased with new photos taken by tonight. Otherwise, this is like trying to see bigfoot in the background of a fuzzy Polaroid photo taken on a cold dark night in 1983.

TyCobb likes this.
  9. TyCobb

TyCobb A product of PMD

Drawn out process, lack of effort and pictures, order of operations of securing a buyer first and then slabbing informs me that this isn't coming back as a Cheerios. ;)

Insider and Seattlite86 like this.
  10. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Hey, when I lived in NYC that was one of the few options available...I got hooked.

11. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

I spent some time in Switzerland in the early 80's and ordered a pizza at a local restaurant in Lucerne. To my surprise it was covered in anchovies.

Cheech9712 and Kentucky like this.
  12. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Strange, but not as bad as it is made out to be. Pineapple however.....

Cheech9712, Kentucky and wxcoin like this.
  13. dennis5151

dennis5151 Ole Grim and I are on first name basis.

I am new on this site not yet allowed to start a new post so I am hijacking this one.

I have a few question on PCGS and Cheerio Dollars.

I called PCGS on these questions and the service rep did not know the answer and apparently timed out looking for an answer. His final advice was to check with a PCGS approved coin dealer as they know more than the service reps. LOL

Question 1. Why does PCGS list the Cheerios Dollar in two places in the price guide? PCGS lists a 411990 "Cheerios Dollar" and when you open the item, an additional 147231 opens which appears to be the same except it is tagged "Cheerios Dollar FS-902".

Question 2. When you call up the population reports, an additions coin is listed, it is called "Base" and the information is bolded. What is a "Base" Cheerios Dollar?

I noted all three population listings have different numbers so there has to be something to this.

I have read a lot about the Cheerios Dollar history (pattern coin, non-pattern, 1999 reverse, 2000p reverse, etc.). PCGS has on several occasions disappointed me in grading and in calling two important coins counterfeit but this is the first time I have been disappointed by a service tech's ignorance. Any help is appreciated.

By the way, I need to purchase a "Non Pattern" Slabbed Cheerios Dollar to complete my collection. Perhaps I also need a "Base" (in bold).

Sorry this is long winded but I am in C-19 isolation and have nothing better to do.

14. dennis5151

Oh, and by the way, this post caught my eye because PCGS graded my fine detailed tail feathers, aka Pattern, aka 1999 Reverse as a regular 2000-P AU58. Like in the original post, PCGS explained only those coins they take from an original package get the "Cheerios" designation. I was and I am ok with that. I am proud of my PCGS Slabbed 2000P AU58 that just so happens to have (most likely) been in a Cheerios box at one time.

TexAg likes this.
  15. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

I don't know the answer to your question, but you're allowed to create new posts. The only place you cannot post immediately in when you sign up is buy/sell/trade. Click on forums, click on US coins, and click the new thread button.

Stevearino likes this.
  16. frankjg

frankjg Well-Known Member

@Hunting Rare, since you are back, show us the slab for this Cheerios Dollar. Surely you’ve had it authenticated by now.

CaptHenway and bud250r like this.
  17. CaptHenway

CaptHenway Survivor

Think I'll go watch "Groundhog Day."

cpm9ball likes this.
  18. dennis5151

Here is the AU 58 Cheerios Dollar with fine detail. Note the pictures are not great, look at the feet, only the fine detailed have the feet like this. Non patterns have the feet and feathers blotched. Cheerios Dollar Graded as Non Cheerios.JPG Cheerios not graded as Cheerios Reverse.JPG Sat Apr 18 09-30-46.jpg I can see the fine detail clearly in the sunlight. This is a 58, not a 68.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  19. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

I'm confused why the slab doesnt attribute the pattern...?

20. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

I could see not calling it a "Cheerios" dollar but they still should have listed it as the "prototype rev".

I can't even see the feet.

21. dennis5151

PCGS (at the time) did not recognize anything except a Cheerios Dollar which had to be in an unopened original package. I discussed it with a service rep, they simply refused to consider it. My complaints to their management went unanswered. Fine with me, I tell people I have a PCGS Slab Error. LOL

Draft saved Draft deleted