PCGS refuses to grade my CHEERIOS pattern Sacajawea!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Hunting Rare, Jun 23, 2019.

1. FooFighter

FooFighter Just a Knucklehead Coin Hunter

Hey who IS this guy?!?!
    2 points
    1) what's up with the background on those pics? If he had a coin that had bar codes on both sides would he choose a barcode backround?
    2)He may be new to this site, and must be..new collector overall.
    ANACS is the oldest and first grader out there. They are a highly respected coin grader.
    Thank you,
    Foo out

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Have to agree with Paddy post #2.
    If they did that to me, not only would I not send it to them for a crossover,
    they would lose 100% of my future business.

Paul M., NSP, Spark1951 and 2 others like this.
  4. Hunting Rare

Hunting Rare Active Member

I like the way you think, Michael K!

Paul M. and Michael K like this.
  5. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

So obvious. Right????

wxcoin likes this.
  6. NLL

NLL Well-Known Member

I'm sorry to be the one to tell you this but I don't think you have a reverse of 1999. The tail feathers on both of your coins just don't match up with the reverse of 1999 and instead look like normal coins.

7. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Why, because they won't certify something that has been removed from packaging and should just believe what you say?

8. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

The market certainly disagrees with that statement he made, even some auction houses do as well

9. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

If you bothered to read the OP’s statement, the claim was that PCGS already said they knew it was the reverse of 99, but chose not to Slab it. Assuming this is true, which @Michael K did, he responded accordingly. Perhaps you should first address the OP, if you think the OP is being dishonest.

Paul M., furham and Hunting Rare like this.
  10. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Absolutely not. If I read the post correctly, they agreed what it was and
    refused to certify. But after reading the previous post by NLL, I will have to
    compare the photos more carefully to see if it is a match.

furham and Seattlite86 like this.
  11. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

According to what I read on the PCGS web site from customers, what I have seen, and what I hear - there is no "maybe."

I will say this. It appears tthat the new management is addressing this deficiency. Hiring Jay was one big step!

Paul M. likes this.
  12. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I was referring to this part of your comment.....

"ANACS and ICG (I work here) are the best services to send varieties and odd-balls to. Their graders are more knowledgeable BY VERY FAR!"

Maybe yes, maybe no!

Chris

13. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Did they refuse to certify it, or did they refuse to certify it as a "Cheerios" dollar?

Paul M. likes this.
  14. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

As memory serves...there was both a dollar coin and a cent coin in the Cheerios promotion. The cent is no different than any other cent and requires the original packaging to certify as a "Cheerios Cent".

However, there are specific pattern differences (tail feather detail, as I recall) that distinguish the Cheerios dollar from the others. There were a total of 5500 Cheerios dollars released into circulation (as I recall). I'm too lazy to Google it again.

No idea why PCGS won't certify it. I'm sure they must have a "valid" reason.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
    Paul M. likes this.
  15. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

The Cheerios Dollars were minted with a proof die (not polished) to meet production demands around the coin launch and the promotion.

There is no way to be certain that another unpolished proof die wasn't used during the run. So just having the characteristics does not prove it's a Cheerios. Finding several in a circulated roll makes this more likely.

Visit the small dollars website for the story.

Paul M. likes this.
  16. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

My understanding was that some coins were struck with the Cheerios die and a small portion of which were released to General Mills for their promotion. Then, a design change was implemented, remaining coins destroyed, and new (different) coins minted for circulation. If that's not right, I guess I'll be forced to Google it again.

Paul M. likes this.
  17. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

Read small dollars... It was deliberate... But thought not to be a big deal. Selling 5000 or 10000 coins ahead in a high visibility promotion was going to get the new golden dollar off to a great start and fix the problems that had haunted the Susan B.

18. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Well we'll never know. It does not matter that the guys at ANACS and ICG have been doing excellent variety attributions for over a decade before PCGS and NGC were around. It does not matter that folks cherried all the neat varieties that were unattributed in the holders of the top two TPGS. It doesn't matter that the top two services didn't do all varieties and STILL don't. I don't know what you :confused: are drinking but I could use some! It is over 94 degrees here. :D

19. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

I know what I'm drinking, Scotch and Spotted Cow, and it's only 65 degrees here. That's about all I know. I'll leave the grading to you experts.

Martha Lynn likes this.
  20. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I quit drinking (2013) just before I stopped smoking (2014). Maybe you should quit drinking, too!

Chris

Seattlite86 likes this.
  21. ddoomm1

ddoomm1 keep on running

Anyone reading this while eating Cheerios? (Neither am I.)

Draft saved Draft deleted