PCGS Rattler Samples I have

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Robert Paul, Oct 2, 2015.

1. Robert Paul

Robert Paul Active Member

Here is a set of samples I have been working on for a few years now.The set is collected two ways:
    1st) coin number 05120 with different dates (05120=1960 MS dime) And

2nd) The correct PCGS coin number issued to the Roosevelt dime date.

PCGS Sample 1960 obv.jpg PCGS Sample 1960D obv.jpg PCGS Sample 1961 obv.jpg PCGS Sample 1961D #2 obv.jpg PCGS Sample 1961D obv.jpg PCGS Sample 1962 obv.jpg PCGS Sample 1962D obv.jpg PCGS Sample 1963 obv.jpg PCGS Sample 1963D obv.jpg PCGS Sample 1964 obv.jpg

dlhill132, ddddd and NSP like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Robert Paul

Now here is the 2nd way to collect them.

Coin number 5233 is for 1958 Proof Roosevelt dime, so a Mint State coin should have the coin number 5116
    PCGS Rattler Sample 1958 obv.jpg PCGS Rattler Sample 1958D obv.jpg PCGS Rattler Sample 1960 obv.jpg PCGS Rattler Sample 1961D obv.jpg PCGS Rattler Sample 1963 obv.jpg PCGS Rattler Sample 1963D obv.jpg PCGS Rattler Sample 1964 obv.jpg PCGS Rattler Sample 1964 Ruffco obv.jpg PCGS Rattler Sample 1964D obv.jpg

dlhill132, ddddd, NSP and 1 other person like this.
  4. Robert Paul

Or I guess a 3rd way, is just by date and not worring about the PCGS Coin Number.

5. Robert Paul

Just thought I would share with members some of my date set rattlers sample collection
    sampleslabs by Cameron K. Lists these as a type 2 at http://www.sampleslabs.com
    sampleslabbook by David Schwager catalogs them as PCGS-010-1-3 with the following date:
    1957, 58, 60, 60D, 61, 61-D, 62, 62-D, 63, 63-D, 64, 64-D at http://www.sampleslabbook.com
    And come in grades MS-64 or MS-65. I have never seen a rattler sample with a MS-65 grade, only MS-64.

These are fairly common for most dates, and they come with two different coin numbers, 05120 which is for a 1960 dime and most dates can be found with this coin number. Also the rattlers come with the proper coin number for the date. See http://www.pcgs.com/pcgsnolookup/Detail.aspx?c=98 for the correct number/date.

In the first post. The set I am showing you now all have the coin number 05120.

And just a side note: I have only seen the rattler series come with a leading zero infront of the coin number, weather is is a sample or production slab.

And the 2nd set in the #1 reply is:
    The correct PCGS coin number issued to the Roosevelt dime date

6. harris498

harris498 Accumulator

Neat sample slabs!
    That's a lot of dedication, there.

Robert Paul likes this.
  7. Stephan77

Stephan77 Well-Known Member

Very cool - Thanks for the share!

Robert Paul likes this.
  8. Robert Paul

Glad you like them.

9. Robert Paul

Can anyone else post some PCGS Samples?

10. Robert Paul

Any sample slab from any company, Please post them!

11. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

Neat collection @Robert Paul. I can't say I collect sample slabs, so I don't own any.

Robert Paul likes this.
  12. Robert Paul

You should watch for them at the B & M shops, as these are sometime usually fairly inexpensive there.

13. davidh

davidh soloist gnomic

Someone's going to have to tell me what a sample is.

Camreno likes this.
  14. ddddd

ddddd Member

Here is a quick summary:
    "Sample slabs are produced to be given away at shows and major coin events to collectors and dealers so they can become oriented with the services holder or new label type. It is a means of free advertising that promotes the service’s slab. A few companies made special types over the years just for dealers, but overall they are given away at shows to the general public."

per:
    http://www.sampleslabs.com/

Draft saved Draft deleted