PCGS rant, rave or WTH?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by fretboard, Apr 17, 2019.

1. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

I never said they were prefect or that they don't make a mistake every now on then and even pointed to one that has happened once in a blue moon. However I won't do nor should anyone else is give any consideration to serious allegations just because someone on the internet posted a rant about it. If they really stole his coin show me the police reports, show me the Postal Inspector reports, show me the pending law suit and the briefs that were filed, show me the pending criminal charges.

Then to make it even worse he accused the management of covering it up. You don't get to be taken seriously with absurd allegations that would jeopardize an international company over a couple bucks with no proof. He was using a stock photo from eBay as well. Some people just wanted to take a shot at PCGS with it others at me, but serious accusations especially completely illogical ones should require actual proof.

I've yet to see a single legitimate theory on how the grader or the package receiver could have swapped the coin out. They both work under cameras for this very reason, and somehow they decided they were going to smuggle in a modern nickel hoping a top quality one of that date and then got lucky one happened to come through, and then PCGS some how covered that up for them? That's why I didn't take it seriously, it's so illogical and far fetched with 0 proof that it isn't worth even considering.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. 352sdeer

352sdeer Collecting Lincoln cents for 50 years!

The guy who submitted the coin sent in a coin he obviously didn’t inspect well. He bought it from an eBay vendor who sold coins of similar appearance to the coin image he listed the listing with. The image that the vendor used is the one the Craigslist op posted as his coin. Poor sap fell for it big time and has assumed he bought “ that coin” the listing picture coin. To the untrained eye with a 5X glass can miss a lot of damage especially if one doesn’t understand proper lighting. Especially when looking at Brilliant uncirculated coins. We just have a guy that’s pissed cause he spent three times more than the coin is worth to send it in. Buyer beware maybe you ought to inspect your coins a little closer. Plus the coin he received back in my opinion should be graded MS64 it’s a train wreck. In that respect PCGS did the poor guy a service raising the value almost $10.00.
    Reed

TypeCoin971793 likes this.
  4. littlehugger

littlehugger Active Member

5. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

PCGS doesn't auction coins... so perhaps you submitted thru Heritage or another auction site? Your post doesn't make sense.

TypeCoin971793 and baseball21 like this.
  6. littlehugger

I was not writing of PCGS specifically or exclusively. Thats your take.
    Given the huge price increases for highest grade coins, switching becomes not just possible, but likely, given human nature.
    The protections do not appear to be adequate.
    Nor is speculating on the possibility the stuff of fantasy. Many of is believe some pretty fantastic things, as mentioned.

7. baseball21

Here come the aluminum hat theories again.

That's exactly what speculation is

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  8. baseball21

Amazing how many people can't produce a shred of evidence yet want us to believe coins get intentionally switched/stolen. If someone wants to use a basement TPG where that could happen, that's on them.

ldhair likes this.
  9. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

The guy is griping on Craigs List? Give me a break...........

10. littlehugger

Every thread here becomes acrimonius.
    It just seems as if some just cant help themselves.
    Heaven help you if you are an innocent newbie with a question. They really catch it.
    Some people seem bitter.

11. green18

Cruel world........(pillow, cotton), deal with it.........

charlie123 likes this.
  12. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

@littlehugger, many threads turn acrimonious, but many do not. Certain members have a dislike for other certain members and then it is two who are tangoing. However, I read thread after thread in which "innocent newbies" ask a question and get a respectful reply (albeit often not what they want to hear). Each of us on CT must make the decision as to how we comport ourselves. There are many instances when we could just let something go without comment...or page after page of comments.

Steve

furham, Oldhoopster and green18 like this.
  13. green18

Gotta love Steve.........:)

He's way less acrimonious than me or me.......or anyone else like me.

CoinCorgi likes this.
  14. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

I don't know how to comport.

15. baseball21

Would happen a lot less if threads didn't have a tendency to turn into wild speculation and people trying to push their feelings about what they think could be happening especially when it's about the TPGs. Even more so when someone continues to double down on their feelings without the slightest bit of proof.

There is a difference between asking a question and speculating. The real danger to newbies would be if they believe the wild speculation and feelings some people push.

You made the accusation (which as pointed out made no sense) then doubled down on it yet still haven't seen any proof from you but it's supposed to be taken seriously?

16. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

Thanks @green18, but I've been trying to "reform" myself over the past 4 years, especially. I was born into a family where I was criticized for nearly everything I attempted. I grew up being a critical person, always, of course, with the "good intention" of trying to improve the other person or society or the world.

On CT, e.g., I have been pretty much keeping myself from commenting on others' spelling, grammar and the state of cleanliness (or lack of it) of an OP's fingernails. Do dirty fingernails gross me out? Yep. But I don't need to point it out. I am a grammar and spelling Nazi. But I can choose to keep it to myself. I'm trying to learn what I can control and what I can't control.

@CoinCorgi, I'm giving lessons on how to comport. PM me. It is Wednesdays, 5-6 a.m. BYOB.

Steve

Seattlite86 and CoinCorgi like this.
  17. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

Ah a comportionist, not to be confused with contortionist!

GenX Enthusiast and CoinCorgi like this.
  18. littlehugger

Steve- I am a dad to 4 and have a beautiful young wife, so I have really fallen behind in my collecting. Reading and replying to posts here is pretty much the extent of my collecting.
    There is a lot of knowledge here, and many are eager to share their knowledge. But over time I have noticed there is a small percent who seem bitter and often show it.
    I only read a small number of posts, and not active enough to notice the feuds. But newbie questions seem to be fertile ground for snarking.
    Ok. Newbies ask the same questions again and again. If you are annoyed, no need to answer.
    Even in my limited participation, I have seen a consistent level of snark.
    Ok, people do that....but why?

Seattlite86 likes this.
  19. littlehugger

You put your right foot in, you put your right foot out....
    You do the hokey pokey and you turn yourself about....
    Thats what its all about

20. baseball21

"Given the huge price increases for highest grade coins, switching becomes not just possible, but likely, given human nature.
    The protections do not appear to be adequate.
    Nor is speculating on the possibility the stuff of fantasy. Many of is believe some pretty fantastic things, as mentioned"

Where was your question again? Was it hidden in the serious accusations?

21. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

So why is this thread still alive and dragging on?

fretboard likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted