PCGS rant, rave or WTH?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by fretboard, Apr 17, 2019.

1. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Some people seem to want it to be true so want to push the idea that something essentially impossible could be true. The fact that you're more inclined to believe something nefarious is going on just says everything

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

Guys. It's the same coin. :banghead:

I can and have taken pics of a coin where I can completely make a major hit or bag mark completely disappear and then with slightly different lighting make it light up like a Christmas tree.

When comparing coins from pics with very different lighting and focus like these, you do not look for a mark that you can't find in the other pic - that has absolutely no value whatsoever and proves nothing. What you look for are marks that you can match up between the two photos (keep in mind they may still look different).

markr and Stevearino like this.
  4. 352sdeer

352sdeer Collecting Lincoln cents for 50 years!

The image of the first coin is really nice but if you look close it does have some damage albeit very little. The second coin has MANY dings on the cheeks and jaw line. The image is not to bad lighting is a little wonky but it’s in focus and a good subject to compare to the second. The second coin is well lit and in focus. The third image is also the second coin. All images are the original Craigslist posters images. I’ve looked at enough coins under magnification with an old school 15x to 45x power Swift binocular scope. I can say these two coins aren’t the same coin in my opinion. Draw you own conclusions. Reed 0F2A45DD-7252-4919-8D22-EC173F8682B2.jpeg 563A8FDA-79DD-4498-8976-1993671F8DC8.jpeg 14BFE3A8-C2C3-4137-9505-3DFFA52AC3B5.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
  5. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Best Answer
    OK, everyone. Mystery solved. The OP Craigslist images are the sellers, from eBay. The item is still for sale, with the SAME images, because the seller was using a single image to sell multiple 5FS 1956 Jeffersons. Here is the eBay item number: 183648909308.

So the buyer was suckered into thinking he owned the actual coin in the pic, even though the seller was selling multiples of this same date and general condition.

End of discussion?
    Screenshot_20190419-160821_eBay.jpg

6. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

I think we can argue these pictures forever, but it means little since we cannot verify the pictures portray what the CL poster says they do.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  7. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

See above.

markr and Santinidollar like this.
  8. Santinidollar

Should be John, but I wouldn’t bet on it.

Seattlite86, Stevearino and C-B-D like this.
  9. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Waiting for my "best answer" nomination. :cigar: (Even though I was wrong in my opinion of it being the same coin) :bag:.

Stevearino and 352sdeer like this.
  10. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

I'd like to amend my statement that the buyer was "suckered." The seller pretty clearly states this is an example from a roll. He was clearly selling multiple coins.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  11. 352sdeer

thought was his $10,000 coin he was edited about getting ripped off

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2019
    C-B-D likes this.
  12. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

Wow. So the buyer never looked at the coin after he got it, or while evaluating and preparing/packing it for submission? Seriously?

Stevearino, 352sdeer and C-B-D like this.
  13. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

It would appear so.

Stevearino likes this.
  14. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

I think you are 1 cheek crease off...

352sdeer likes this.
  15. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

I seriously doubt he is a troll. I think he really didn't notice that the seller was selling multiples of the coin in the pic. So he bought it based on the pics, and sent it to PCGS hoping for a 67 FS. So not a troll, just a fool.

16. Santinidollar

A fool doesn’t have to be a troll, but a troll always is a fool.

17. 352sdeer

I can buy into that line of thinking
    Reed

18. Monstermommy

Monstermommy Active Member

Those bust stops are really something!!

19. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

I’d say that settles it. Nice find! End of discussion.

I nominated you.

If he was complaining that the PCGS grading system was a complete scam, then yeah, he’s a fool. But he’s claiming PCGS stole the coin and swapped it. He’s an old-fashioned troll/scammer.

fretboard and C-B-D like this.
  20. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Now, he could still be a fool but not a scammer. If you don't know that you're lying, is it really a scam?

imrich, Seattlite86 and C-B-D like this.
  21. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

Nefarious on part of PCGS? I’m more inclined to believe that the guy is the one being nefarious here than PCGS. Do I believe that PCGS can do no wrong? No, but I believe they bet more right than wrong.

Draft saved Draft deleted