PCGS PVC Residue Label in Flip

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Endeavor, Sep 17, 2018.

1. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

Was this cracked out of a slab and put into a flip or does PCGS send it back to the submitter this way?

I'm inclined to think it was sent this way because the label doesn't have "PCGS" on it although it does have a cert #.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Yes they do or did at one time. Also environmental damage.

Endeavor likes this.
  4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

They return it that way.. never slabbed

Endeavor likes this.
  5. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

It's what used to be called a body bag, all TPGs used them. Prior to 2007 all problem coins were returned that way. Today, a few still are. But most problem coins are now slabbed in what is known as Detail holders.

One of the biggest mistakes the TPGs ever made in my opinion. And the breaking of a promise that they made to the numismatic community, and repeated, for 20 years. For 20 years they swore up and down they'd never do it - then they did.

'Course they swore they'd never change grading standards too, and today still swear they haven't - but they did, and numerous times. Today they even accuse each other of loosening grading standards !

Endeavor and Paddy54 like this.
  6. Paddy54

Doug I can't recall but when they did return a coin as posted they didn't charge for it unless it was in a holder. Correct? Now they holder everything and hear the cash register ring..... and still detail it.
    I have get a few back in body bags.... in my time.

Seattlite86 and Endeavor like this.
  7. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

Why do you say this was a mistake? There are many non-gradeable coins that benefit from slabbing, be it for provenance, authenticity, or simply due to them being high value due to the rarity.

I get an objection as a nuisance to the boatload of drek that is out there in detail slabs, but find it no worse than those who are effectively slabbing mid-grade pocket change. And it makes money for the TPGs which keeps them in business and perhaps helps to keep submission costs down.

Paul M. likes this.
  8. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

No, they still charged for it either way.

9. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I have never submitted to PCGS myself (I prefer NGC), but neither company will slab a coin with active PVC residue - if you submit one with PVC, it will still be returned in a flip with a note that says PVC.

(NGC will sometimes call you and ask if you want to have it conserved before they just return it, obviously for an additional fee. Depending on the coin, I'll often take them up on this).

10. Paddy54

I did years ago use both... I prefer NGC over pcgs especially nickels yes ngc is harder on them grade wise but I find truer in grade. Pcgs I got better grades but... to my eye they weren't true . I dislike Anacs yellow holder but do like the fact they will grade more varities as the other 2 don't.
    And the other 2 grade varties that truly are not a variety.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
    Evan8 likes this.
  11. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

A couple years ago, PCGS returned one of my coins, a seated dollar, in the flip with a sticker that just said, "No Service." The coin was bent XF details in my opinion, and they gave it a no service label because it wouldn't stay in the gasket properly. I called and they said there was no charge.

Paul M. likes this.
  12. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

In the early days of PCGS, you only got a sticker on the body bag. Later there was a card in the flip and they put a check beside the reason for not grading the coin. Now you get a label showing the problem. It's good they don't slab coins with PVC issues.

13. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

The slabbook covered different generations of bodybags for the services as well as the slabs. It was very difficult for me to get bodybags back then. Most people threw them away and either resubmitted or tried to sell their coins raw never admitting that they had been seen and bagged.

14. calcol

calcol Supporter! Supporter

The PCGS and NGC websites state clearly which problem coins go in slabs and which go in bags. And yes, you will be charged either way unless they can’t handle the coin for some reason, like its size, lack of expertise, etc.

Cal

15. GDJMSP

Already answered - they charged whether they slabbed the coin or not. That was the biggest complaint collectors had back then. They just couldn't get it through their heads that they weren't paying for the slab, they were paying for the service provided.

A couple reasons, one of which I already explained - they broke their promise to the numismatic community. And they only did it to benefit themselves. Another reason, because there are so many people who don't understand it. They don't realize they are buying a problem coin, they don't realize they are buying a coin that has no grade, they don't realize they are buying a coin that is only worth a fraction of what a problem free example is worth and so they overpay, often grossly so. And it allows the unscrupulous, and there are a lot of them, to do all these things.

And perhaps even worst of all, slabbing problem coins has allowed and caused the public to become used to it and accepting of it. To the point that now the TPGs are slabbing and cleanly grading more and more problem coins. Coins that have no business being in a slab at all, let alone a cleanly graded one.

16. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

We can agree here because from your response it looks like you really don't understand their place in the market.

It's actually the exact opposite of what you just said. The unscrupulous sellers leave problem coins raw or crack them out of details slabs and sell them as problem free. The details graded coins clearly state so on the labels and list the problem. Their isn't some large buying group that thinks they're buying problem free coins like you want us to believe, the overwhelming majority and the ones that know anything about coins at all all know they are problem coins that are being bought.

The market gets to decide pricing and there is a market for details coins. Just because you disagree with the market doesn't mean those buyers are clueless and think they're getting problem free coins. That assessment overall couldn't be further from the truth as there are many reasons why someone would choose a problem coin as for many things that's all that buyer could reasonably be able to afford.

Jaelus, Paul M. and Seattlite86 like this.
  17. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

And yet how many times do we get people coming to coin forums asking "It says (some grade) Details. What does that mean?"

18. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Not often and it's almost always like can you tell me where the problem is or how I can tell when something has been wizzed or cleaned. So if it wasn't for the details slab they would have never known and bought it as problem free.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  19. GDJMSP

Ya know, I'm not sure if you really don't get it or if you just defend them no matter what - just because it's them.

Sure, most of the folks on this forum know what details slabs are - now, 10-11 years after the fact. But for the first few years there were a whole lot more who didn't. And for every one of those people who come to the forum and ask those questions, there are a thousand more just like them who don't go to coin forums, who still don't know or understand what they are buying.

You've only been a member for less than 3 years, you weren't around back then, and for years afterwards. There were hundreds of posts like that, questions like that back then, and we still get them even today.

And what about all the problem coins, that are so obviously problem coins, that are cleanly graded ? What about them, how do you defend that ?

They started slabbing problem coins for one reason and one reason only - because their revenues were down due to low submissions. And they HAD to increase submissions somehow. Slabbing problem coins gave them the ability to do that.

It's just like it was with NGC and modern coins. For 15 years NGC flat out refused to even accept any coin minted after 1964 - they wouldn't grade them at all ! But to increase revenues, because they had to, they changed that policy and began slabbing modern coins in 2001.

The TPGs are in business to benefit the TPGs - not collectors ! Now I have no problem with that, that IS the purpose of any business. What I have a problem with is people, collectors, who think what the TPGs are doing is for the benefit of collectors !

20. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Now who’s arguing just to argue? He said collectors benefit from problem slabs, not that the TPGs did it for the benefit of collectors. And also, sometimes business decisions intended to make more money accidentally help the consumers as well, but what do I know.

baseball21 likes this.
  21. GDJMSP

I would agree with that. Just not in this case, and for the reasons I have already explained.

Draft saved Draft deleted