PCGS Price guide app

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Sullysullinburg, Apr 13, 2015.

1. Sullysullinburg

Sullysullinburg Well-Known Member

Already have one whats the next step?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. carboni7e

carboni7e aka MonsterCoinz

Read it. You're not going to learn overnight how to understand the market or make money.

4. Sullysullinburg

Read it. Next steps?

5. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

Pick a series you want to specialize in. If your planning on selling on eBay, study the recently "Sold" prices on eBay. If your planning on selling elsewhere, study that market. Remember, a price guide is a "Guide", not what the prices are supposed to be. Dealers don't receive monthly price guides, then go through their entire inventory and re-price everything. It gives them an idea of what the market is doing. Tells them if a particular series is picking up in interest or waning in interest.

I use the PCGS guide just for that, It's a quick glance of what an average price is for a particular coin in a particular grade. Eye appeal on a coin in hand will determine it's street price.

6. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

The next step is to SLOW DOWN. As the other gentlman correctly stated, this isn't going to happen overnight, and if you continue trying to rush things, you're going to end up making stupid, costly, and easily avoidable moves. Again, this idea of profiting from coins isn't new. Sometimes I cannot help but to think that every other schmo out there looking for an easy payday sooner or later decides that coins are just the vehicle with which to do it, and this should tell you something. You've not stumbled into a hobby full of desperate people who need you to sell them coins, Sully, so ask yourself what you have to offer potential customers? Unless you are going to be able to be highly competitive on price, which I seriously doubt, what reason does a collector have to purchase from you instead of the near countless other sellers out there? If this is only about money, you could always sell salted rolls or fluffed up dreck on the bay, but if you want it to be more than that, its going to take time and work; the sooner you accept this, the better off you will be.

7. Sullysullinburg

I really don't have anything different. Also I'm not rushing because I've done this before but I didn't sell anything.

8. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Start with what you know and/or what you're interested in even if there isn't likely to be much money in it. I believe you mentioned liking Mercs, so may I ask if you've much experience with and/or have studied the series? Do you presently have any references beyond the redbook? If not, and to save you a little money right now, there are certain books available online for free, including one on Mercs. I cannot copy/paste the exact link at the moment, but go to blog.davidlawrence.com and you shouldn't have much trouble finding it and a number of other books. Also, PCGS.com/books has other titles that may interest you.

Aside from this, if buying raw you're really going to have to know how to properly grade, identify problem coins, altered examples, and counterfeits, and tgis isn't going to happen overnight

Draft saved Draft deleted