PCGS PR69DCAM 1976-S Bicentenial Quarter

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by GoldenSilver, Oct 21, 2016.

?

Worth?

1. 1-5

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. 5-10

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. 10-15

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 15-20

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 20-25

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  6. 25+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. GoldenSilver

GoldenSilver New Member

Hello, I recently made a purchase on this item: http://imgur.com/a/IqQeZ and I'm wondering what it is worth? Once I get enough opinions I will say how much I paid.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

First, do you usually buy things without knowing their value? Honest question, but mostly one you should be asking yourself.

That said, with something like this simply checking eBay completed listings should give you a fair high retail range (lower end of the range will be the better estimate) excluding fees and any other associated selling expenses.

4. GoldenSilver

GoldenSilver New Member

I already checked and I liked this coin so I'm going to buy it.
    And I'm just looking for estimates here, I checked eBay but in my opinion it can be confusing.

5. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

A coin is only worth what someone will pay for it.

While it is a generally better practice to research first, and then buy, I'll say that you probably couldn't have made too big of a mistake on this coin and even $25 could be considered "tuition" in your numismatic education.

PCGS lists it at $20 in their price guide. I would try to pay less than that for sure.

6. GoldenSilver

GoldenSilver New Member

Ok, I only paid 12 dollars for it (that's with free shipping) and I got 1 gram of silver free with it (even though that's not alot)

7. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

How much does it cost to have a coin slabbed? And how much of that is added value?

8. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

The costs vary.

Here's a common misconception: A slabbed coin is worth more.

Just because it's graded and certified doesn't make it worth more. The slab adds no value by virtue of the slab itself. If a certification adds value it is purely because of the authentication, or the grade.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
    Brett_in_Sacto and micbraun like this.
  9. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Originally, it was probably submitted as a bulk order by a dealer looking to get 70's, as the cost of slabbing exceeds the value of the coin. The slab itself means nothing for one of these; of the 18,915 Clad 1976 Quarters PCGS has graded, 17,894 (almost 95%) are PR69DCAM. They're currently listed on Ebay for as low as $7.95 with free shipping.

10. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

Thank for the info. Now I don't feel so bad for paying $3.00 for my "76-S" in a small round plastic holder.

11. GoldenSilver

GoldenSilver New Member

A capsule? lol

alurid likes this.
  12. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

:happy:Yeah, that sounds good., but it's shaped more like a big pill.:wacky:

13. GoldenSilver

GoldenSilver New Member

14. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

Yes like those.

15. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

I'd hold off for something like this. I paid $8.50 and though the grade isn't the best, the signature is cool.
    s-l1600.jpg s-l16001.jpg

charlietig and alurid like this.
  16. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

My capsule is scratched but the coin isn't.:woot: DSC04207.JPG

17. redcent230

redcent230 Well-Known Member

You can pick this one up for less and I wouldn't even think about buying it. Not worth the time.

18. GoldenSilver

GoldenSilver New Member

What time

19. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

For a few bucks more, you can find a '76 silver proof set on EBay. There are scads of them around.

20. charlietig

charlietig Well-Known Member

That would've been a smarter idea I think

Draft saved Draft deleted