PCGS or NGC

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by ldhair, Nov 1, 2023.

1. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I'll start by saying, I have a lot of respect for both firms and both have been very friendly to me over the years. This is my question.

If you were sending raw coins in for grading, are there any coin types that you would favor one firm over the other? I know that many believe PCGS will bring a better price at auction but I don't feel that's true across the board. What are your thoughts?

Mainebill and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lardan

lardan Supporter! Supporter

I agree, I also don't think it is across the board. My personal preference would be 1933 and older gold coins would be PCGS.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  4. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

NGC because the ANA sent me a coupon for $15.00 off when I renewed my subscription.:D

fiddlehead likes this.
  5. Joel Turner

Joel Turner Active Member Supporter

I would also say not true across the board. For modern bullion gold, I would say PCGS, but there can be exceptions. When I collected GSA Morgans in the original GSA slab, I went with NCG since they were graded in slab and did not need the bigger PCGS holder which PCGS came out with. I look also at past auction archives, GC and Heritage, to give me an idea of market selling value. Of course many exceptions are out there.

lardan and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  6. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I believe I get a more complete view of my coin in a PCGS holder.

Mainebill, Vertigo and lardan like this.
  7. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I believe the answer depends on what your goal is. Or put another way, what are you trying to do, what do you hope to accomplish by having the coins graded ? I say that because different owners have many different reasons for having coins graded.

1 - Some choose one company over the other because they like the way the slab looks, and or the way the coin looks in the slab.

2 - Others may decide on what they perceive to be value considerations.

3 - Others may decide on what they think turn around time will be.

4 - And yet others may decide because one company is tougher, more conservative, with grading a particular type and or series than the other company is. So they may want what they perceive to be the more accurate grade, while others simply want the highest grade they can get.

5 - And then there's the Registry game, and many will choose for that reason alone.

6 - And sometimes one company will only attribute certain varieties and or errors and not others, while the the other company will attribute them.

7 - And perhaps, and I say perhaps because I've probably forgotten a few, the last consideration is cost.

So to give a specific answer as to what type and or series, I believe one must first decide what your goal is. And because there are so many variables, thus making the answer very long and quite complicated to cover them all, perhaps it would be better to ask which specific types and or series you really want to know about.

8. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

I have a complex answer.

I have always been a member of NGC, never of PCGS. That being said, I own double the number of PCGS slabs than NCG as a collector. I find more coins I want in PCGS plastic on the places I shop like Great Collections, eBay, etc.

PHOTOS:
    NGC photos are terrible, even if you pay big bucks for their photo service, they still stink. Worse, they don't show up on their Cert Verification page, so no one else ever gets to benefit from them if you should sell the coin, or buy a coin someone else that had photos taken. NGC emails a link, and you download them within 30 days or they get deleted. PCGS TrueView, while being glamour shots, are 1000x better, and their photo "policies" are far better, pricing is better, they are more widely used, accepted, consistent. (PCGS is better in every facet for photos)

SLABS:
    I prefer very old style "fatty" holder from NGC, I can't stand the PCGS early "rattler" generations. In the modern era I have always preferred the PCGS slabs from generation like 1990-2020 era. They feel good in the hand, not too big or too small, and they show the coin nicely, the weight is perfect, not light or heavy.
    However, the newest generation of PCGS slabs (2020-Current) are far worse. They look similar, but are not the same. Ever since the pandemic supply chain issues, and/or just decisions by PCGS in terms of the newest gen holders, they are worse. I can't really explain it other than to say, put one in your hands and hold it. They are feather light, plastic feels like a toy, and the edges are sharp, again cheap plasticy feel. You can easily tell them apart, they have a new logo on the left front of the slab that looks like a wireless PC Mouse.

upload_2023-11-2_9-41-45.png

Feels like a Cheap toy in hand.

I also have the lastest NGC slabs in hand, and these feel "normal" if you like NGC slabs.

So, to recap my feelings on the slabs: I preferred NGC early on, than PCGS for a very long time, now I have flipped back to strongly preferring NGC is you were to submit coins today.

CUSTOMER SERVICE:
    NGC customer service is very good, I used them just this week for a certain incident. Fast and to my satisfaction without begging or threatening. I have no experience with PCGS.

PRICE:
    Both are very similar, not much to say.

ECOSYSTEM:
    PCGS forums are far better, PCGS website far better, PCGS cert verification far better, faster, easier (especially if you are shopping a ton of coins at once), PCGS coin facts better than NGC equivalent (although I use both), etc. Strong win here for PCGS.

COLLECTION MANAGEMENT:
    I use and love the NGC collection manager. PCGS is fine, although I haven't used it in a long time. Good news is, doesn't really matter if you slab you coins with PCGS, you can still use the NGC collection manager if you want, so this is sort of a moot point.

REGISTRY:
    I have used both, they both work fine, but from past experience, I would give a slight win to PCGS here, if you care about the registry.

Overall, I would personally do PCGS if you are taking photos for your own use or selling coin, hands down. that one thing determines it if you want pics. Other than that, I would pick NGC if slab-feel is important to you.

I tend to prefer much about PCGS over NGC, however, like I said, I am paid member at NGC, so take that with a grain of salt.

Hope my ramblings helped....

Last edited: Nov 2, 2023
  9. lardan

lardan Supporter! Supporter

If this is your idea of rambling, you sure are good at it. Enjoyed reading it.

Anthony Mazza, dwhiz and geekpryde like this.
  10. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

I think this mirrors my thought process as well, except that I might add:

1) I've had a couple issues with NGC damaging my coins (one gilt Notgeld piece, graded MS65, came back with a corrosion spot on it that wasn't there when I sent it in, and another British penny came back with a huge thumbprint on it that wasn't there when I sent it in.) For the gilt notgeld piece, their attitude was very subpar, for the British penny they attempted to conserve it but it was still there.

Both coins I would have kept, were it not for the changed condition. Ended up selling both because they were now problem coins, albeit in problem-free slabs.

2) I really, really don't like partnerships with predatory businesses like Home Shopping Network/QVC or this CoinVault nonsense (it's totally not gambling!) and NGC X. To me, it feels like a money grab and cheapens their reputation. I know NGC does it, I'd probably guess PCGS does it too, but I don't know for sure.

3) I prefer the old ANACS soap-slab holders first, then the PCGS slabs, then NGC's.

I agree, NGC's photos, forum, and website are almost embarrassingly bad when compared to PCGS. I know I can take decent photos, but when mine are much better than a professional company who has the money to pay someone to do a better job...to me that just doesn't feel like a company I'd support long-term.

JMHO - totally okay if others disagree.

11. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Want to trust a TPG, trust yourself first and foremost.

12. Joshua Lemons

Joshua Lemons Well-Known Member Supporter

I've only used NGC for grading so far. My collection is divided about 70/30 between NGC and PCGS certified coins. I generally submit world coins and I think NGC has a better handle on those and their world coin price guide is amazing. But, I am seeing more world coins in PCGS holders.

As mentioned, PCGS has by far the best photography and I've yet to pay for the NGC photo services. I don't find the PCGS website as user friendly as I usually access it on my phone and it takes longer to pull up. I prefer the NGC holder as well, but that's personal preference. Also, if anyone has ever owned the brick that is a PCGS oversized slab, I think you'll agree the NGC large slab is better.

I have considered joining pcgs just to see what their submission process and service is like. Because I've spent my credit for rejoining NGC this year, I might send my next submission to PCGS. We'll see.

13. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

For U.S. coins, I prefer PCGS. For foreign coins, NGC.

Actually I prefer raw coins for my foreign purchases, but if it’s graded, I’ve found NGC to be better, especially for Roman coins.

Mainebill and ldhair like this.
  14. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

They did not damage your coins. You sent in problem coins and they could not fix them. There are limits to conservation.

micbraun likes this.
  15. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Thank you all for the information. It's now just off topic information.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  16. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

No, you are incorrect. The condition of the coins changed while in their custody.

it’s really interesting to me that someone can just assume a business is incapable of making mistakes.

This happened.

Insider and lardan like this.
  17. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I wish the Market was still that way, we have only the fruit to bear from a TPG's bottom line.
    And that for the top 2 is gradeflation. Wish @baseball21 was still around.
    A sure fit would subdue because of the statements I just made.
    I agree there is too much influence from the TPG's in todays market.

Mainebill likes this.
  18. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Have always been a PCGS guy and always
    will, not saying anything against NGC however PCGS coins always demand a premium, you see this time and time again
    on several places that sell coins.

19. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

NGC is a fine company and I have a number of their slabs. The only problem I have is that white slab. It hides the coin and that makes me more of a PCGS guy.

okbustchaser likes this.
  20. Casman

Casman Well-Known Member

I’ll buy either but when selling it’s PCGS. I’ve experimented over the years and as just one example, a coin nobody wanted at 1x, went for 8x in a PCGS holder.

21. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

PCGS usually sells for more so when you sell you’ll get more for it.

Draft saved Draft deleted