PCGS offering $50,000 reward...

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by bruthajoe, Feb 4, 2020.

1. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

Wow. No, if they are encapsulating a coin with PVC residue, that is their fault. Those should be body bagged if the submitter declines conservation.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

100 percent incorrect. Canada was the worst for a long time, Australia both mints have the issue, GB has the issue, China, France etc. They all have it to some extent on at least some products.

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  4. bruthajoe

bruthajoe Still Recovering

What about this statement?... "The problem is also not limited to Silver Eagles or coins from the U.S. Mint. We have seen the same spotting problem on modern U.S. silver commemoratives and modern coins from other Mints such as Canada, China, and Australia."

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  5. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

Well, maybe an outlier here or there...but from what I have read most of the problems have focused on the U.S. Mint and their very high volume of Silver Eagles, much more than other mints who often have production runs of 1,000 - 100,000.

That said, if I'm wrong and other mints are having spotting problems even on smaller mint runs, I'm all ears.

bruthajoe likes this.
  6. GoldFinger1969

I haven't read consumer buyers complaining to the same extent, such as on forums like CT.

That said, they have much fewer mintages so there are going to be fewer teed off consumers. But my previous readings said that other mints were doing stuff to cleanse the dies/planchetts that was eliminating or minimizing the spotting problems.

7. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Facts: the problem is and always has been worldwide, nobody knows what causes milk spots but there are several theories, nobody knows how to safely remove milk spots.

bruthajoe likes this.
  8. GenX Enthusiast

GenX Enthusiast Forensic grammatician

I have a couple early 60s mint and proof sets still in their mint plastic with milk spots. Basically ruined and apparently very common. So I no longer buy "sealed" sets, sight unseen.

bruthajoe and -jeffB like this.
  9. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

From previous discussions here, I gather that those manila envelopes from the early 60s weren't actually sealed from the Mint, so a "sealed envelope" is no guarantee that the coins haven't been examined. For that matter, you can buy all the "unsealed envelopes" you want on eBay, and seal in the proof sets of your choice.

So, yeah, don't buy "sealed envelope proof sets".

bruthajoe likes this.
  10. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Yeah that reward was offered just as a public relations move, maybe to drum up business, who knows. I mean they would likely pay the reward but it's pretty obvious nobody has answered up yet and likely never will. :D

bruthajoe likes this.
  11. GoldFinger1969

Do we know the rate of spotting ? Is it 5% or a fraction of 1% ?

It seemed that the folks saying that improperly cleaned and dried dies/planchetts/whatever was the cause of the spotting. Basically, you were adding impurities into the silver.

I know silver "tarnishes" but this seems to be the addition of impure elements. I admit I'm not an expert on this, and last I checked, I have no spotted silver bullion.

That's why I primarily buy gold. :D

bruthajoe likes this.
  12. baseball21

No one does. At best it's a wild guesstimate based off their monster boxes, but it's so random that really wouldnt even be accurate

And if you're wondering it can be found on all different types of silver coins. Normal, proof, reverse proof, colored, plated, hologram etc.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
    bruthajoe and GoldFinger1969 like this.
  13. ptHoneyBadger

ptHoneyBadger Member

Sorry, I'm retired now. They couldn't afford me anyway. smoke2.gif View attachment 1063626

All of the mints purchase their silver planchets from third-party manufacturers, and the mints have done everything they can to control contamination during the minting process. It would therefore seem logical to assume that the contamination occurs during the alloying process and production of the planchets. Obviously, not all .999 pure silver is the same.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
    bruthajoe and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  14. gronnh20

gronnh20 Well-Known Member

It may be the pneumatic machinery packaging up the silver coins that is causing the spots. A lubricant moisture mixture from a leaky seal or pressure relief valve. That's my theory anyway.

One night, as I was going through a bag of quarters from the mint, my daughter came into the room and sprayed Frebreeze(?). It didn't happen then, but, a few days later milky spots came up on the coins. Nothing removes those spots. I tried everything on a few of the coins. Nothing would pull those spots off, short of, a grinding wheel. That was a public service announcement in case you run into a renegade sprayer.

I have a 2012-S Silver proof Kennedy in PCGS plastic that has milk spots. I don't think there were milk spots on it when I was gifted the coin. It has milk spots now. It is graded PR70DCAM. I got it in 2014.

bruthajoe and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  15. baseball21

No proof of this but given the problem that has happened for years in multiple mints across the world it seems likely it’s more than one thing that can cause it.

16. Islander80-83

Islander80-83 Well-Known Member

This is an all volunteer forum. Since you're retired, you'll have plenty of time to figure it out. ;):happy:

bruthajoe likes this.
  17. ja59

ja59 Missing the Beach just not as much as ...

18. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

thank you for the heads up. I do in fact have one of those living in my house..... That gave me a good laugh.

bruthajoe and gronnh20 like this.
  19. gronnh20

gronnh20 Well-Known Member

bruthajoe likes this.
  20. GDJMSP

For whatever it's worth, there are many examples of light colored spots on silver coins that many people call or refer to them as being milk spots, but they really aren't milk spots.

Here's the thing, no planchet washing or rinsing process adds anything to the silver. At most, it may leave a residue on the silver, but that's it. And when you couple that with the fact that coin dip does not remove milk spots, it then becomes quite obvious that whatever it is causing the milk spots - it is not something on the silver ! For if it was, coin dip would remove it.

And that leads me to believe that this -

- stands a very good chance of being true.

bruthajoe likes this.
  21. GDJMSP

I have no idea if it's helped or not. But given what they say in that article -

The RCM announced Feb. 2 during the World Money Fair in Berlin the development of Mintshield, a proprietary new process that mint officials said reduces the occurrence of white spots on silver bullion coins. (underlining is mine)

And since it is known that milk spots are not "on" the surface of the coins, and that coin dip will not remove them, it seems unlikely, to me anyway, that a surface coating of the coins would stop them.

UncleScroge likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted