PCGS mess up,what to do.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Jdiablo30, Jan 16, 2017.

1. Jdiablo30

Jdiablo30 Well-Known Member

Well I shouldn't blame it all on PCGS,i guess more due diligence was needed on my end. Anyway,i sent in a batch of coins to get reslabbed,crossover and a had two RAW coins go in for grading. One was a 1878s HOT 50 Double RIB which I put variety attribution for,the next one I didn't put variety attribution (this is where my problem lies) and it was the rare 1970S DD. They straight graded it at AuU58,but they did not note the DD. My question is,should I send it back in in the slab,this time with variety attribution or the guarantee resubmission? Just don't want to do this again and would like the get the matter resolved.
    Anyway,the coin in question 82981181_Large.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Jdiablo30

I guess it's sort of bad news and good news, good news is it straight graded when it was bought as a cleaned coin. Maybe time out of the original case darkened it up enough IMG_20170116_054626.jpg

4. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

5. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

You would think they would call and ask if you wanted to pay the extra fee. Guess not. I'm thinking this is a $1000 coin?

Amos 811 likes this.
  6. Resubmit in slab and just ask for variety designation to be added.

Tater and ldhair like this.
  7. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Does a potential buyer really need to be told that eye-crosser is a doubled die? :)

Double that.

VDB, chridular and Blissskr like this.
  8. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

"Machine doubling. No way PCGS would have missed that. I'll give you $30 because I feel bad for you." ;)

9. SuperDave

That type of buyer would say that even if the variety was on the slab. :)

charlietig likes this.
  10. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Nice score on the Lincoln, if it was me I would want to have the DDO on the slab. But, I don't know if I would want to pay the extra fees, after just getting it back.

Jdiablo30 likes this.
  11. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

PCGS apparently calls it a $600 coin in AU58, attributed. (Guess they'd have to bump that population up to 7, though.)

I guess it depends on what you want to do with it -- if you're wanting to sell it online, it might be worth spending some extra money to get it redone with the attribution.

It certainly seems like the first step would be calling PCGS customer service.

12. SuperDave

That's funny, because their "facts" differ here, including a 58 that sold at $2125 (where I got my price quote above):

http://www.pcgscoinfacts.com/Coin/Detail/37997

Which is the truth? :)

13. Jdiablo30

Just got off the phone with Ashley,she was helpful and is going to run the coin along through them for variety attribution so no biggie. Yes I would like it on the slab,not too often do you see a 1970s DD. Really neat coin for sure and glad to have it attributed correctly.

14. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

A lot of them, YES. If it isn't on the slab they won't believe it.

Coinchemistry 2012 and Paul M. like this.
  15. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

By golly, how the hell did three graders there miss that?

Jdiablo30 likes this.
  16. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

They were grading not identifying/attributing.

Paul M. likes this.
  17. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

That's poppycock. Would they do the same thing on a 1955 DDO, neglect to attribute it a DDO? Quit making excuses for them, this one's as plain as the nose on your face. I'll bet most of these graders would be on food stamps they're so untalented if they didn't have this no-brains, cushy job.

18. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

There is a published list of what they will attribute for free. If it is not on that list they don't put it on the label unless it is paid for. Not having it on the label doesn't mean it was missed

Paul M. and Dave Waterstraat like this.
  19. jester3681

jester3681 Exonumia Enthusiast

I guess the question is, does PCGS recognize this as a major variety with its own number, or is this a variety (such as a Newcomb) that only gets attributed when you ask for it? If the variety is that significantly valuable, I would reach out to them and see if the coin can be reholdered with additional variety attribution (much cheaper than a true regrade).

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  20. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Do you know what I'd do? I'd put it on social media and show everybody how inept they are. I know, I know, you and Conder101 for that matter are absolutely right in that they're wanting to get paid every time they're put to the challenge of having to fire up the neurons in their prefrontal cortexes, but in this case they don't even have to go to that extreme, as this DDO is plain on its face. It just ticks me off, that's all. They crack the whip, we jump like trained seals, they know it, and that's why they always get away with this stuff. Ah, end of rant. Got it off my chest. Retiring to the bottle, I mean, barn.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
    green18 and Jdiablo30 like this.
  21. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

The problem with that is it just wouldn't be accurate. You can certainly argue that attributions should be automatic (though that would create a different set of issues) but not putting it on the label when they charge for that is in no way evidence of being inept.

If enough of the market wanted another one added to the automatic from a strong premium and an active market some more things may be added to the automatic like FBLs and FHs ect.

Draft saved Draft deleted