PCGS Labeling?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by GUNNER63736, Apr 22, 2019.

1. GUNNER63736

GUNNER63736 Well-Known Member

I'm sure this egg has been hatched before but I can't seem to find any info. in the search engine. Being the old poot that I am, probably not wording it correctly anyway. I like PCGS PRF69DCAM silver coins. Do these fancy labels they put on some of them really make any difference? FIRST DAY OF ISSUE, FIRST STRIKE, AMERICAN FLAG, etc. etc.
    Myself, I just buy the certified coin and not the label so I kind of ignore this stuff. Am I missing something I should actually be looking for? Does it add any value?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Only to fools!

Chris

4. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

Don't forget the idiots, and greedy making the "market".

Mr.MonkeySwag96 and Stevearino like this.
  5. cpm9ball

I wouldn't go that far. They couldn't be that stupid because they realize that there are plenty of fools who will buy it.

Chris

Mr.MonkeySwag96 and Evan Saltis like this.
  6. gronnh20

gronnh20 Well-Known Member

People paying extra for labels is probably so their sets will be uniform. Like having all First Strike designated coins. They pay extra because they don't want to miss out. Some of the Hall of Fame baseball coin labels get crazy expensive with limited edition autographs. The same goes with Silver Eagle autographed labels, some of those carry premiums. Stick with collecting the coin first, it should serve you well.

okbustchaser likes this.
  7. TheFinn

The idiots are the buyers.

8. cpm9ball

The only reason I have these is because JT was a friend. R.I.P. buddy!

_MG_2227[1].JPG
    Chris

dwhiz, gronnh20 and Chris B like this.
  9. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Those special labels are just a gimmick.

10. TheFinn

Then they're not collecting the coins anymore.

I will pay more for types of holders, like doilies, but not for a special color, or a dead man's rotopen signature creating an artificially perceived rarity.

TypeCoin971793 likes this.
  11. ddddd

ddddd Member

People pay extra for certain labels for a number of reasons (some already mentioned). The ones I can think of:

*Uniformity (want everything to look the same in their collection)

*Hype/marketing (people believe the sales pitch that certain labels are rare/could be worth more at some point)

*Misinformation (some-not many though-might still think that a "first strike" means the coin was an early strike as opposed to the reality: it was certified during a certain window and wasn't necessarily struck earlier than a non-first strike label)

*Flipping (since some people are willing to pay for first strikes, others get into the market to flip these labels to those that collect them)

*Just because (some just like them-and that's fine if you go into the purchase aware of what you are buying)

As for you @GUNNER63736 , as long as you are collecting the coin and enjoying it-don't worry what design the label has.

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  12. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

And to TV coin peddlers.

13. Mr.MonkeySwag96

Mr.MonkeySwag96 Well-Known Member

What's ironic is I see more modern coins in "First Strike" slabs than slabs without the designation

14. cpm9ball

Just so you know, JT signed these in my presence at the FUN Show. You can tell from the slight differences in each autograph that they were not signed using an autopen. So, please don't show your ignorance by assuming that all signatures are signed that way.

Chris

15. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

JT was really cool. I wish I had the chance to meet the guy. Many years ago he was really active over on CU. He was always helping folks understand what was going on with a coin. We had a lot of fun PMs before his health went bad. I miss the guy.

16. TheFinn

And which MLB team did he play for in the '30s and '40', the Yankees or Red Sox?
    Did you read my comment?

17. cpm9ball

Yes, I did! Do you understand what you said? Let me refresh your memory.

Chris

18. GUNNER63736

Wow. I didn't mean to start a war here. I buy the certified coins for what they are. Never paid any attention to the label style. I guess what I was really wondering is whether I was missing something by not paying any attention to the labels. Thanks for the info guys.

19. Chiefbullsit

Chiefbullsit CRAZY HORSE

These 2 coins are on Ebay. Same coin and both are PCGS PR70.
    Which do you want, the regular label or the Earth Rising Label?

s-l1600-horz.jpg

BTW... the regular label coin is $20 more than the Special Earth Rising Label.

20. GUNNER63736

I would buy the less expensive regular label without even thinking about it.

21. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

The special label does not add any value to the coin. Having said that, I readily concede that label nonsense has made them more expensive to buy since scads of people obviously don’t hold my viewpoint.

Draft saved Draft deleted