PCGS label question ?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by mpcusa, Nov 20, 2021.

1. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

First off I collect currency not coins so
    Kind of a novice in this arena, so
    I am looking at a bullion coin that is
    in a green label holder, it’s MS 70
    but really am only seeking a B/U
    example as condition doesn’t really
    matter 1 Oz of gold is one once of
    gold regardless MS 70 or run over
    by a train..LOL , though coin I am
    looking at is a few hundred dollars
    over spot but the coin is so rare there
    are no B/U coins around so the only
    option is to buy graded but like I mentioned before how does the green
    label stack up against a current label
    any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

Most bullion coins like that are either MS69 or MS70. It doesn't matter what color label it is. My guess is the green label is the anniversary label so it's fairly recent. Some classic coins in old green labeled holders can be under graded by today's standards

4. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

That's not exactly true. There are labels that will increase the value in the market, but there's certainly not enough information to know if that's the case as simply being green won't do it on its own

wxcoin and Inspector43 like this.
  5. Garlicus

Garlicus Debt is dumb, cash is king.

Any pics?
    What type of coin, and how about the year, or if there is a mint mark?
    Generally speaking, the only thing that matters is the gold content, but there are exceptions to the rule.

6. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

The green labels are stricter-graded coins on the whole. This one at 70 might upgrade to 75 or 80, you never know.

7. mpcusa

8. wxcoin

Green labels on foreign coins are a different animal.

johnmilton likes this.
  9. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Yea that’s not even what would really be considered a “green label” when you say it that way. That’s a designer label that is easier to sell but would have minimal impact on value

Edit to add that being a 70 there will be a premium and that has a bigger impact than that label design

Last edited: Nov 20, 2021
    Mountain Man and wxcoin like this.
  10. mpcusa

Does the animal bite…LOL, as I said
    not really looking for a graded example
    just something B/U will end up paying
    about $250 over spot premium if I decide
    to pull the chain.

11. wxcoin

635895831718974808-AFP-548338813.jpg

12. calcol

calcol Supporter! Supporter

The green label doesn’t add anything to the value of recent date libertads. If you want a MS70 certified 1 oz bullion coin, you can get an American Eagle from the same source that is selling the libertad, but for about $250 less.

Cal

13. mpcusa

Really not looking for anything graded
    especially in a bullion coin, the fact
    that it’s a MS 70 coin has little bearing
    on my decision, as far as getting an ASE
    way more available in comparison to
    the Libertad, so looking for something
    a little more unique.

14. calcol

calcol Supporter! Supporter

Well, if you want something unique, how about a 2021 one ounce Armenian 50,000 Dram coin? Cost you $300 less than that libertad for the same amount of gold. Not certified but in mint packaging.

Cal

15. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Simple answer is that particular green label has no significance whatsoever when it comes to value.

The thing about "green labels" is this. The ones that matter, or that some think matter, have a nickname - OGH (Old Green Holder). I'm trying to remember when they were first used and off the top of my head it was the late '80s - but they stopped using the in 1998. And since pretty much every knows that the TPGs have changed grading standards, which is a polite way of saying loosened grading standards, numerous times over the years, it is commonly believed that the coins residing in the OGH were graded under tougher, tighter, more strict grading standards than those used after 1998 - thus making those coins undergraded by later grading standards. And this belief is over 20 years old.

But here's the thing. As I said, just about everybody who knows coins knew this - over 20 years ago. The net result was that by 2000, 2001 just about all the OGH coins had been so picked over by so many people that those that still remained in the OGH, the only reason they still remained in the OGH was because those particular coins had been overgraded to begin with and thus were not worthy of submitting for upgrade under the new loosened grading standards. And what that means is they had no chance of being upgraded and sold for more money.

And now, 20 years later, there are still people who are unaware of all that history. So the OGH story still persists.

I'll add this much. That same story about being able to identify possible upgrades based on the label has repeated oh at least 3 times with different slab labels. Meaning that PCGS has loosened their grading standards at least 3 more times AFTER the old green holders were done away with ! And just about everybody who knows coins knows that too !

So you can still play the upgrade game if ya want because they have loosened their grading standards so much over the last 20 years that even those coins in the OGH that were deemed unworthy of upgrade 2 years ago - well, it's pretty much a given that they will be upgraded today !

But your coin - that aint one of the old green labels. And since it already says 70 - there aint any upgrades left to begin with ! Which of course is why that label is meaningless for several different reasons.

wxcoin, Dynoking and mpcusa like this.
  16. mpcusa

Thanks for the info, I normally don’t buy
    graded coins, especially bullion but there
    isn’t allot selection…LOL , so I went
    ahead and pulled the trigger last night :)

Draft saved Draft deleted