PCGS Knows All.... Apparently

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Evan8, Jun 16, 2018.

1. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Certainly not Fred (I've met him), just the grading company. The same grading company that wouldn't legitimize an old green holder "Texas" commem that the serial # doesn't come up in their data base. They wanted me to send it in for re-holdering. I've had friends who didn't have to do that........they just acknowledged it for those fellows. Guess the unknown fellow don't count. Axe to grind with these people on somethings, but in the end, they are my 'fav' TPGer.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

There is no way PCGS is going to try to match the OP coin to a die pair unless they saw something to narrow it down to 1916. Folks should listen to Conder101.
    PCGS just messed up on this one.

Evan8 likes this.
  4. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure he's one of their error guys

5. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Really? Did he pull that one out of his foot? devil.gif

Dave Waterstraat and ldhair like this.
  6. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

I believe he is THE error guy for them.

TypeCoin971793, ldhair and baseball21 like this.
  7. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Yes.

8. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Dave Waterstraat, posted: "You left out paying taxes. It's a 100% sure thing..."

Yes, you are correct. I didn't include taxes because that is not a 100% sure thing.

JayF, posted: "So do you agree with PCGS that this is a true 1916 ? I'm just curious how they authenticated this one."

:rolleyes: Please read the thread again or you can look up "mistake" in the dictionary. This thread has NOTHING to do with a 1916 dime except that description of this piece is what popped out of the label printer!

JayF, posted: "How can anyone who doesn't have anything to do with PCGS say definitively about what they do as far as procedures? Do you know someone from PCGS that tells you these things?"

No one needs to work for a TPGS to know how coins are authenticated. The procedures are taught in classes and can be found in books. It has been done the same way since the early 1970's when some new folks :bookworm: came on the scene and overturned :smuggrin: all the archaic methods :vomit: used up until then. We even gave it a name. ;)

9. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

Care to enlighten us what the die markers for a 1916 P dime are?

10. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

I already stated I was speaking in general terms at that point to correct the misinformation

11. Ana Silverbell

Ana Silverbell Well-Known Member

green18 likes this.
  12. JayF

JayF Active Member

Companies have different procedures, how to authenticate a coin probably has the same steps with all TPGs but how a company applies it is a totally different process. Like did PCGS checked for die markers for this particular coin? I read there is possibly a die marker for the 1916 dime so I was curious if PCGS used it to identify the coin. Also, he said "may or may not be" so there's still a question of whether it's a mistake or not, based on his response.

BTW, did you report this to PCGS already? Since you stated it's OUR job to police these types of "mistakes"

13. NumisNinja

NumisNinja Active Member

But at the same time, you can't definitively say it's NOT full bands. Just like you can't say it's not a 1916D. The inherrent nature of offset coins is that they come from a die which may have only left partial indication of what the coin actually is. You can question the grader's grounds for his designation of that coin, but you can't prove he's absolutely wrong either.

14. TypeCoin971793

But you also can’t say there are distinct markers for a 1916 Dime if there aren’t any.

15. rmpsrpms

rmpsrpms Lincoln Maniac

Well, of course there are markers (though maybe not distinct ones) that can be used to identify the coin. Every coin die is unique, though it might take some time looking at a bunch of normal 1916 dimes to find the die used at the correct die state. Remember, this is an uncirculated coin, so there should be minimal damage that would obscure the die condition.

Insider likes this.
  16. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

The only way to avoid paying taxes is to not purchase anything...True there are ways to avoid paying some types of taxes directly but sales tax will get you...;)

Insider likes this.
  17. TypeCoin971793

At least in the US. Sales tax was not a thing while I was in Europe

18. TypeCoin971793

That still does not answer my question. What are the distinct die markers for 1916 dimes?

19. rmpsrpms

rmpsrpms Lincoln Maniac

Someone else will need to answer this since I don't own an uncirculated 1916 Dime.

20. John Skelton

John Skelton Morgan man!

Yeah, but death doesn't change every time Congress meets!:meh:

Dave Waterstraat likes this.
  21. John Skelton

John Skelton Morgan man!

I get it! It's like Schroedinger's cat, right?:pompous:

Draft saved Draft deleted