PCGS Holder With Cricket Remains - how high will it go (already over $1k)?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by ddddd, Sep 8, 2021.

1. charley

charley Well-Known Member

The catalyst for the business model, in order to preserve such a new venture, is that only one of each type of Arthropod be encapsulated. Of course different types exist, by color, size, geographical location, larvae, age, brood, Kingdom, Subkingdom, Clade, etc.

I can see this catching on. The old jar and formaldehyde and pin sticking is no fun, and trading/selling/displaying for competition/investment/collecting would all be enhanced by producing such a collecting category.

I am thinking.....I mean it.

It could be a Venture Capitalist play. Tie it into a Bitcoin type world model, and an education contract or 2, and the laugh factor reduces. It always does when money is the result.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Why stop there? Why sell the slab when you could sell an NFT of the slab for many times more? :rolleyes:

charley likes this.
  4. -jeffB

<buzz>

<SWAT>

OMG STRUCK THROUGH ERROR! Hello, PCGS?

5. charley

That is a good point. There are Arthropod genetic errors. That can be another category.
    I was definitely thinking about NFT plays. The Hodlers need a new schtick. Really.

6. J.T. Parker

J.T. Parker Well-Known Member

Hi Mountain Man,
    Would you consider a NGC Proof-63 Humbug?
    J.T.

MIGuy likes this.
  7. charley

Humbug Marsh is a favorite location of dragonflies, and would fit under the geographic location category.

MIGuy likes this.
  8. MIGuy

MIGuy Supporter! Supporter

It's clearly a Details because of the damage, but some folks will really appreciate the die breaks.

Hookman, Jerms, charley and 1 other person like this.
  9. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

This post deserves a best answer:):).

10. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

I hear they're good eating.

11. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

They’ll slab anything and someone will buy it.

12. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

If you ask me, I say the AT is a turn off. It's much lighter than it should be naturally. Looks like it was baked in an oven, then spent some time on a sunny windowsill. I don't like toning! :hilarious:;) (I case you don't know, when roasted, they are tasty, with a "nutty" flavor. And don't tell me you've never eaten one...you're sayin' you never ate a hot dog???...:hungry:) :D

lordmarcovan and Evan Saltis like this.
  13. ddddd

ddddd Member

I agree; there is nothing wrong with GC selling it. I'm guessing they will get some added attention from it and that could lead to more people exploring the website and bidding on coins.

Evan Saltis likes this.
  14. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

Buy the slab, not the bug! :p

dwhiz and ddddd like this.
  15. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

They missed the opportunity to have some fun with the label, though.

C'mon, you know the folks at ANACS had fun with this one, even if it's not quite as amusing as the cricket.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

PS- edited to add- what if it had had ONE more problem? That would’ve presented them with a dilemma! :hilarious:

john65999, ddddd, -jeffB and 5 others like this.
  16. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

I'm still waiting for a coin struck on a railroad spike graded by PCGS.

ddddd and love old coins like this.
  17. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

@lordmarcovan
    Other than that a nice rare wholesome original skin coin

ddddd, -jeffB and lordmarcovan like this.
  18. lordmarcovan

This is a tad smaller, but close enough?

Hookman and dwhiz like this.
  19. lordmarcovan

It really could catch on.

If I remember correctly, @panzerman sold a rare and valuable collection of dead bugs some time ago (butterflies, which I’m guessing must be where the big money probably is, in the Dead Bug world?)

And bought Roman gold with the proceeds. Ancient gold does not come cheap, so those must’ve been some really special dead bugs!

I have also read how prone they are to deterioration- butterflies in particular. So yeah, if someone found a way to encapsulate, preserve, and scientifically label dead bugs, it might just catch on.

20. -jeffB

They ran out of room to print "ITS MOTHER WAS A HAMSTER AND ITS FATHER SMELLED OF ELDERBERRIES"?

dwhiz, J.T. Parker and lordmarcovan like this.
  21. lordmarcovan

Bravo. I do love a good Monty Python Holy Grail reference.

Perhaps they should have used the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch on it. I believe Brother Maynard and his monks have it in their baggage.

PS- come to think of it, that cricket looks like it might have indeed been blasted to tiny bits by the Holy Hand Grenade...

Treashunt and dwhiz like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted