PCGS genuine with details... ???

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Atarian, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Atarian

Atarian Well-Known Member

I received a Morgan back from PCGS with the "genuine" 92 - cleaning, and no grade, as their web site states is their order of business. However I've seen some from PCGS with "genuine cleaning - XF details."

Why didn't mine get a grade?

Thanks.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

Probably some kind of damage that would prevent if from getting a grade.

Have any pics you can show us, as we'll be able to tell more from those.

4. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

PCGS changed their policy. They used to grade cleaned coins as "cleaned" and then give a details grade along with it. Now they assign cleaned coins with the 92 number and only mark it as "genuine"

edit: I think. lol

5. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

You are correct. 92 is the PCGS code for cleaned.

http://www.pcgs.com/Articles/Detail/5518

Can you post a photo of the PCGS genuine labels with & without a details grade? I typically use NGC and (unfortunately) have received their purple colored label with details grade listed.

6. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

I believe the details slab are somewhat older... the newer one with the 94 code is altered surfaces (which means the same to me as "cleaning"), but I really have no idea if this is true or not.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Owle

Owle Junior Member

They have started giving a remark on what grade level it would have been at had it not been cleaned, etc. I like the way ANACS does it with a number, i.e. "AU58 details". Presumably they will still body bag certain pieces and not holder them even if genuine.

8. Atarian

Please de-confuse me! So the "details" is old.. or new? If new, it's very new, as in the last month or so.

Wonder why they quit doing it? Seems like it would be pretty easy if you didn't have to assign a numeric grade, just F, XF, etc.

I have e-mailed PCGS (before the post) but as of yet no response. Which is why I like posting here!

9. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

When they first started using the Genuine slabs a couple years ago they did NOT have a detail grade, just the code in the serial number. About 8 months ago they started giving them a details grade. If your coin is a recent submission and has come back without a grade, it is either an error, or PCGS has changed their policy and has scrapped detail grades. No way to know which without either feedback from them or more examples of new submissions without the detail grade.

10. Atarian

Thanks - I will let you know what they say.

11. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

Yes!

Draft saved Draft deleted