PCGS forum topic

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Heater, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Heater

Heater Well-Known Member

Dealers on Shrooms is a great read. Check it out.

Was really NOT impressed on the info that "the dealer" in question sits on their "experts" board. Shows up on page 5 or 6 from a member. What nonsense.

& I am a stock holder in this crap.

Boo to Julian & PCGS!!

Cheers

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Link please?

4. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

5. Heater

Heater Well-Known Member

Don't know how to do that Green, sorry.

Google collectors universe forums. You'll find it. Under thread of Dealers on Shrooms in the us coin forum.

6. Heater

Heater Well-Known Member

Stevearino likes this.
  7. Evan8

Hmmm interesting. And he's asking for more now than what PCGS' price guide says it'd be worth in 64.

8. ddddd

ddddd Member

Definitely an interesting read. I know that dealers can ask what they want, but it stinks when they both ask for a fortune and offer very little when you are selling to them.

Let's turn the situation around and say I walk up with an unc details coin; I'd be lucky to get a small percentage of unc bid (I have tried it before with a coin that sells for about 800 in unc and was offered in the 200-250 range).

Also, I have tried selling coins to that dealer at a show and he passed on every single one (and my asking prices were reasonable...most of these coins were later sold on ebay for more than I was asking, even after fees).

Evan8 likes this.
  9. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

I just had a long conversation with mfd who knows Julian well. He mentioned he doesn't think Julian can hardly see the flaws anymore and believes his grading is spot on.

10. Evan8

That's a little sad i guess. But still. What is it? PCGS says its ok, but NGC says cleaned. Whos right?

11. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

For all practical purposes, NGC is right because it is in one of their slabs and marked details, improperly cleaned. Why this experienced dealer was possessed to play with fire with this coin is beyond me. It now doesn't matter what PCGS said previously.

12. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Small world... I just alluded to Julian in a thread here earlier today.

13. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

I've seen his listings before. He's had done really nice peace dollars but his asking price wow a slap in the face. Reading the post in the other forum I feel for the guts he buys from.

14. Tim C

Tim C Active Member

Can I get my five minutes back .... You stated it was "a great read" - All I got out of it was the OP couildn't get a rip on an ebay auction and was complaining about it. The seller can ask what ever he wants and if you think it is too high than move on to the next item.

15. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Said it was okay not says. We don't know what they would say if submitted right now nor do we know if the coin was treated in some way after being cracked from the first holder. Some darker areas appear lighter in the new pictures and its not 100 percent clear how much of that is from the different pictures.

16. Heater

Heater Well-Known Member

I have not even been back to this since posted or even read the reply's..yours popped up when I checked about replies to thread.

You can have your 5 minutes back.

Read the PCGS thread closer.

I wasn't concerned about a rip. I was pondering that he supposedly sits on their board of experts but in the end questioning the grades he receives.

Maybe he should leave the board of experts & go to the grading room. Then maybe he can get them graded as he wants.

It's BS.

If he is questioning the grades then what is a nobody like me to do?

PUNT!! That will work for me.

17. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Take a look at his eBay listings. He has UNC details Columbian commemorative halves in Genuine MS details holder and he wants $19,000 for them because he claims they are proofs. Then he has an MS62 1895-O Morgan for $62k. PCGS price guide lists it at $27,500. He has another one of those in UNC details and he also wants $62k for that one and says he disagrees with PCGS' opinion. He has questionable color bust halves for sale for $11,000. The list goes on and on. How is he a Redbook contributer and also on the PCGS board of experts?? Also, if he's a PNG dealer (which I'm not sure if he is), aren't there ethical guidelines that would at the very least prevent him from misrepresenting a business strike $15 Columbian as a $19k proof? Legitimate question.

Jdiablo30 and Heater like this.
  18. green18

Lions and tigers and bears, oh my..........

Heater likes this.
  19. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

He is PNG but they never do anything anyway.

As for him, his resume is about as impressive as it gets he knows his stuff no one will debate that or take that away from him. His marketing tactics however will rub most people the wrong way. He is older now and he may truly believe all those things who knows.

Someone with his resume if he did that for a coin here or there or a small percentage of the coins he has/details coins I would probably give him the benefit of the doubt. But when its 99 percent of the details coins and seems every other coins is apparently grossly under-graded its easy to see what is going on

Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
  20. green18

Time for the old boy to recluse himself..........

rzage likes this.
  21. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

I hate to see it put this way, but it's the reality. It wasn't like this just a few short years ago.

Draft saved Draft deleted