PCGS forum deletes member accounts

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Owle, Nov 2, 2018.

1. Owle

Owle Junior Member

I was surprised to see major book author Roger Burdette banned and deleted from the PCGS forum. Not just banned, but all his content was deleted by their new marketing director, Heather Boyd: https://www.linkedin.com/in/heatherroseboyd

I have never seen this level of censorship without real warning, but they did it a few weeks ago, and then restored some members later. I wouldn't be surprised if this time members deleted will have no interest in coming back with this type of mismanagement.

Stevearino and GoldFinger1969 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. bsowa1029

bsowa1029 Franklin Half Addict

Pcgs has a history of banning or blocking people who don’t kiss their tush 24/7.

Bob Evancho, YoloBagels and Owle like this.
  4. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Nazis.........We're way more understanding, and tolerant (open to opinion) on this venue.

5. green18

And I'm sure Roger will land on his feet.......:)

Bob Evancho and Owle like this.
  6. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Any idea what they banned him for?

I don’t suppose they’d appreciate me pointing out that PCGS has had a coin of mine for three months for conservation and slabbing.

7. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

They overdipped it and now they're trying to tone it back up for ya.

8. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

In truth, David Hall himself used to do ALL the restorations himself. And no one else, according to PCGS customer service when I called them about a delay on mine. Now that David is gone, well... that may be the reason for further delay.

Bob Evancho, Owle and Clawcoins like this.
  9. green18

She's scary as the devil........must have an ax to grind.........Sheman, he man haters.......Me too on this one........

Chiefbullsit and Owle like this.
  10. Owle

Owle Junior Member

May God help us from all these over-trained university/corporate innovators.

Typical Corporate propaganda lingo:

At this point in time, we are rapidly though incrementally achieving new levels of progress in amazing ways; it is inevitable we will achieve all our profit-oriented objectives. However at this juncture, we are encountering certain obstacles that are very common hurdles that will be inevitably surmounted by our talented and professional staff. New frontiers are developing in both unlimited career advancement opportunities, as well as new markets opening up for our products.

I wouldn't be surprised if this type of rhetoric prevails in places Ms. Boyd has operated in:

“Our best of breed solution is architected to proactively disseminate robust deliverables. Utilizing our client-centric innovation and combining methodologies with tactical imperatives renders bleeding edge paradigms of core competencies that are truly out of the box.

“Conceptualizing a holistic interface harnesses enterprise-wide granularity, while simultaneously revolutionizing next-generation mission-critical streamlined synergies. This low-bandwidth dashboard interfaces with an innovative, target-rich ecosystem of which we're absolutely certain, because we eat our own dog food. Going forward, let's take this offline.”

I forgot to mention that our new systems and product line will knock the socks off of our customers, they will be like teenagers at a Taylor Swift concert. At the end of the day everyone will be a winner!

Oh, and I forgot to mention the new products are a real game changer!

BigTomato, Kasia, PlanoSteve and 2 others like this.
  11. green18

NBC has eliminated a score of folks at late.........

Owle likes this.
  12. green18

Well, two I can think of.........

Owle likes this.
  13. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Many of the Forums type of software automatically deletes the posts content when someone is banned permanently. They seem to have a step banning program with the top this type. Does anyone know if she is an active coin collector? I am glad our owner is an active collector and all around good guy. I checked and my account is still there, but I haven't posted in quite a while, just read the better ones. Interesting. Jim

14. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

That's crazy. All his post are just gone. That's really sad. That's not the normal for CU.

EyeAppealingCoins and Owle like this.
  15. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

Please see the thread about forum rules pinned at the top of the PCGS US coins forum. In the discussion about Roger B's banning, she says that she did not ban him but the "higher ups" did. Roger is a great numismatic author and researcher, but isn't shy about questioning the profit motives of the TPG's and posting things that ruffle their feathers. PCGS banned him before and I doubt he'll have a third chance (but we can always hope). Personally I'd like to see him find a home here on Cointalk.

16. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

Hmm. Time to sue PCGS over First Amendment rights?

Bob Evancho and Owle like this.
  17. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

Their house, their rules. If you don't like the rules, find another house.

Truth is, that every numismatic forum has rules. Rules to keep these sites safe for YNs. Rules to keep large #s of people with one shared interest and many divergent opinions and beliefs focused on the one shared interest.

From the side discussions (now closed), it sounds like one or more threads crossed into politics. After several reminders to keep content focused on coins and repeated transgressions, apparently the new leadership pulled the plug.

Do remember, nobody at any of the TPGs gives a bleep about their forums. It's about "engagement" and trying to keep your fans as fans.

18. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

Nope. The 1st amendment protects you from the government. It does not require private entities to do the same. As long as you don't discriminate against a protected class, you are free to make your own rules or be purely arbitrary.

19. mynamespat

mynamespat Well-Known Member

That's a bummer... Reading Roger's posts about his current research finds was probably my #1 activity on the PCGS forum. That's a tantalizing amount of hard to find information deleted.

coinsareus10, Oldhoopster and Owle like this.
  20. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Quite frankly I’m surprised some of the bans didn’t happen long ago. When you use a companies site to constantly trash them and what they do and many areas of numismatics why shouldn’t they ban you.

That site was almost unmoderated for like a year which was amazing for reading drama but bad for them, probably will be a bit of an over correction getting used to the new moderation but they’ll have a lot less liability which is the point.

352sdeer and Owle like this.
  21. Owle

Owle Junior Member

Unmoderated?? Of course it was moderated and as strictly as any other site I have been a member of. No other site I have seen has banned members like PCGS has over the years.

And collectors who pay PCGS' way have a right to have their concerns taken seriously not censored. They may own the site but they lose submissions when they abuse their members.

furham likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted