PCGS Crossover Special Feb

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by NorthKorea, Feb 2, 2017.

1. NorthKorea

NorthKorea Dealer Member is a made up title...

So, this might be the most useful "special" PCGS has had in a while. If the coins fail to cross, you don't have to pay.

Oldrdawg likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

PCGS must really be hurting for business after what Mark Salzberg said about them.

Chris

Oldrdawg likes this.
  4. jester3681

jester3681 Exonumia Enthusiast

The current special is buy four get one free - that's pretty solid, too.

5. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

yeah but they don't tell you it will take 60 days to turn it around.

6. mynamespat

mynamespat Well-Known Member

If I'm going to pay the expense for a crossover I'm not sending coins unless they have a strong chance or I would want them re-holdered ~a grade lower by pcgs regardless. I don't get it... It seems the only people who would benefit from this special are those who don't even look at the coin inside the holder.

jester3681 and Tater like this.
  7. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Thank you Mr S for causing my favorite special to activate. :D

More like a polite way of giving them the finger.

Out of curiosity have you ever tried crossovers before? I don't know anyone batting a thousand that has any decent sample size with them.

Oldrdawg likes this.
  8. Oldrdawg

Oldrdawg Active Member

Yes, I'd love to know of anyone with any amount of experience in cross-overs.

If PCGS is really trying to stick it to NGC, as some have suggeted, I assume the best approach would be to return the vast majority of NGC holders to their owners saying that they can't cross at the same grade (the only option worth picking) because PCGS standards are so much higher than those of NGC.

9. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

I would say basically the opposite. They're encouraging people to submit crossovers since all they are risking is the cost of shipping. Getting NGCs best coins out of their plastic and into the PCGS plastic will lower the average quality of NGC coins in existence causing a larger portion to be low end or dogs which on a large scale can drastically change perception.

I believe they have done this type of promotion like this at Long Beach before but I don't recall them ever doing it for a month open to everyone. Maybe this was planned all along, but given the timing I believe if that letter hadn't been written this special wouldn't exist right now.

Draft saved Draft deleted