PCGS coins now allowed in the NGC Registry

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Coinsandmedals, Dec 12, 2019.

1. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

No clue. Just asking. Your response makes perfect sense and is appreciated. Thanks!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

It’s a manual process, before a coin can be added to a slot, they review the cert number and approve it. I guess it’s simply an additional step to avoid mistakes or duplicate cert numbers.

Santinidollar likes this.
  4. Mkman123

Mkman123 Well-Known Member

If NGC allows this for world coins that would be neat too! I have a lot of NGC graded world but I have some in PCGS holders, it would be nice to just put them in there vs cross grading them!

5. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

PCGS grading standards for world coins are a lot looser than NGC, so it wouldn't be a fair comparison. A PCGS MS66 for world might be an NGC MS64/65 for example.

6. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Not true but I know you'll keep pushing this regardless.

7. Jaelus

I said "might be". You can disagree with that, but the dozens of world coins I've crossed to NGC that have downgraded (and I agree with the new grade) would prove you wrong.

I have had the occasional world coin cross from PCGS to NGC at the same grade. In fact my last crossover I submitted at Whitman had one coin that crossed at the same grade, a 1907 Austrian corona at MS63.

Seattlite86 and furham like this.
  8. BuffaloHunter

BuffaloHunter Short of a full herd Supporter

Hmmm, I wasn't even aware of this. Just logged back into my registry and blew the dust off it. At least they did not delete all the PCGS coins out of there. I may have to spend some time and do some updating of my sets!

9. baseball21

I've submitted FAR more than dozens of world coins to both. If you want the real grade crack them and submit them raw, crossover grading is by far the most conservative form of grading given that it's in a holder.

Point being there isn't some magical lose grading standard different from the PCGS US standard. It's the same for both and the same PCGS NGC differences are there for US and World. PCGS puts a little more emphasis on surfaces and eye appeal and NGC seems to count marks more but an ugly mark free coin is more likely to do better at NGC. It's not a one way street, plenty of NGC world coins would downgrade being crossed to PCGS as well.

10. royster

royster southroy

I have heard folks on here say PCGS has poor customer service? I have never had such an experience with them. PCGS is traded (NASDAQ:CLCT)and i don't think they will ever allow NGC coins into their registry sets. In 2013 they were named one of America's Best Small Companies by Forbes. I have been treated well by both companies.

11. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Not entirely sure how many world coins you've tried to cross from PCGS to NGC, but this is absolutely true and widely recognized. PCGS grading on foreign coins is absolutely looser than NGC, and many coins that I've tried to cross came back a point or two lower. Not necessarily all of them, but definitely more than should have.

12. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

I just wanted to point out this is the first time I've ever seen @baseball21 actually talk about personally doing something with numismatics. Let's drop this discussion and call it a win.

micbraun, mynamespat and furham like this.
  13. royster

royster southroy

I was talking about customer experience and registry cross overs. I only have a few raw foreign coins i collect US coinage so you certainly know more about that they i do.

14. Jaelus

Lots of assumptions I see.

My last submission at Whitman was 154 world coins to NGC and 5 world medals to PCGS. That's fairly typical volume for what I submit at each show. You will notice I submit my world medals to PCGS. Their world medals service is superior to NGC both in terms of attribution and grading, and their oversize medals holder is superior to NGC's. Most of my world medals are raw, but for the occasional exceptional piece, or silver/gold medal, I would only trust them to PCGS.

As for coins, the vast majority of world coins I buy are raw. I would guess about 85%. Having said that, most world PCGS coins I buy I actually do crack out and submit raw if they are worth under $200 or so, and I am well aware of the PCGS grade, the grade I think the coin is, and the grade it ends up holdered at with NGC. I have observed over the years that NGC is more conservative than PCGS for these coins. Or rather, in my opinion, it is NGC that is grading correctly and PCGS that is grading loosely. Aside from the coins I submit that were PCGS crackouts or crossovers, I am also very familiar with NGC grading and can tell with a fair degree of accuracy when looking at a PCGS coin how it will grade at NGC.

The PCGS world coins I cross instead of cracking out are the ones that are high value coins where I want to keep them in a holder regardless (and sometimes attempt to cross more than once if it makes a difference). For example, the 1907 MS63 corona that just crossed at the same grade is a $600 coin. I've crossed a few dozen of these types of coins over the years. Most people with higher value world coins are either purists who keep them raw, or they already know to slab them with NGC, so it's only the occasional coin that I pick up in this value range that is in a PCGS holder.

15. baseball21

I've submitted hundreds of world coins to each. It's in there interest not to cross at grade especially considering some of the hit pieces they've put out. Submitting raw is the way to avoid ultraconservative cross over grading since they have to grade through a holder. Crack some of the downgrades and resubmit raw and some will almost certainly go back to their original grade.

The only time I ever use crossover is if a point down would be hundreds of dollars less or more and then it's obviously cross at grade for the minimum grade. If someone is doing cross at any there's no reason not to crack it out and let them see it unobstructed.

16. Jaelus

The reason is if the coin is not graded properly to begin with.

I never do cross at any, however, if I'm looking at a PCGS coin that is a 64 and it's in a 66 holder, you can bet that I'm going to submit it to cross at 64 or higher (the correct grade). My assumption is that NGC is going to grade it accurately, and I have no desire to have slabs in my collection with inflated grades that I don't agree with.

If I have a coin that is a 64, and it's in a 66 PCGS slab but crosses at 64, the coin didn't downgrade. It was always a 64. It just went from being in a holder with an unrealistic grade to being in a holder with a realistic one. That's an improvement.

17. baseball21

And that happens both ways. It's no different than the differences they have in US grading. They each put slightly more emphasis on different aspects. The differences are always largely going to be in the MS grades as VF and below is pretty straight forward.

18. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

@baseball21

I wish you’d join us in posting some coins.

Seattlite86, micbraun and furham like this.
  19. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP Supporter

I was very happy to hear the news. I've been sticking with NGC slabbed shopping for my registry set. Now I can expand to other great coins that are in PCGS slabs without worrying about feeling like I need to cross it over.

I think it's stupid that they act like this is something new and won't admit the mistake. I would like them to acknowledge their mistake and acknowledge PCGS as maybe not being better than them but at least give them the credit of being "on par" as a company with NGC. Somebody's ego must not allow this to happen.

The top sets had a ton of PCGS slabs grandfathered in from before the change so it wasn't like there was a total black out of them from the registries anyway. Should've changed back long ago.

baseball21 and Jaelus like this.
  20. baseball21

Theres several at GC I’m sure you’ve seen some maybe even bought some. I’m not going to poison any of them getting my haters to start bashing them out of spite of me

I end up selling most of my coins at some point aside from some gold coins and bust dollars and want them to be first seen in a long time at the sale whenever that may be. I have no interest in trying to hype them up in threads for better prices

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
  21. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Not true? Have you compared German Reich coinage slabbed by the two top TPGS? Well I have and NGC is far ahead. But I’d love to see your premium PCGS world coins, incl. crossover results.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
Draft saved Draft deleted