PCGS coins now allowed in the NGC Registry

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Coinsandmedals, Dec 12, 2019.

1. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

https://coins.www.collectors-societ...etListing.aspx?PeopleSetID=190377&Ranking=ngc

He's #47 on the 7070 list... I see you take this very personally, but I see folly in anyone who believes a business is going to not make decisions based on what makes them the most money. Sometimes that means doing what customers want, sometimes not.

WashQuartJesse and micbraun like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Yes, I know you personally participate in the Registry - that comment was more open and general to anyone else reading. Sorry for the confusion.

And, we can agree to disagree. That's fine. I thought it was a big deal, you don't.

micbraun likes this.
  4. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Cool. Peace, brother :)

physics-fan3.14 likes this.
  5. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

The claim was for one section though and each section obviously has different costs and data requirements etc. The cert page probably takes the most space with the pictures and is obviously one of the more important sections compared to say the space and man hours required for the news release section or the submission tiers section. I would be surprised if they weren't aware of how much traffic was going to each section and the associated costs for each section.

I have no doubt their IT as a whole is millions, I'm just questioning this direct quote, "“NGC has invested millions of dollars to make the NGC Registry the best place to organize and display your coin collection,” says Mark Salzberg, NGC Chairman and Grading Finalizer." It would be logical that he may have been quoting IT costs as a whole, which obviously is different that what he said though.

6. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

I gave up on the whole registry set idea after their decision as a lot of my coins are pcgs and pcgs cac I think I still have a set i haven’t done a thing with in a couple years or more

7. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

I love the intermix of words obviously and probably...

@micbraun the answer to your question about what facts and knowledge she has on this (which baseball dodged entirely) can be summed up as follows:

*this space intentionally left blank*

micbraun likes this.
  8. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

The full quote:

In context, it seems pretty clear that he means "invested millions of dollars" over the years they've been building out the Registry site, as opposed to just "these recent updates".

Jaelus and micbraun like this.
  9. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Excuse my advancing age and increasing lack of reading comprehension, but isn’t this about buying coins and plugging the numbers into an interface?:wacky:

10. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

I’ve just added all my recently purchased PCGS coins to my sets. Now I am desperately waiting for the NGC staff (which works for free) to approve them, so the coins show up.

Seattlite86 and furham like this.
  11. physics-fan3.14

At its most basic... yes.

However, the Registry can also be a fantastic tool to share beautiful coins, teach people about them, describe them, and educate readers about a particular series.

The vast majority of us will never be able to compete for the top graded sets. We just don't have the dollars for that. But you can take any set and turn it into a fabulous teaching tool with a little time and effort. Adding good pictures, historical or technical context, date by date info.... all are good ways to make the Registry into a fantastic repository of knowledge.

My particular favorites are the "Best Presented" sets: they may not be the most impressive $ sets, but the authors have created a unique presentation with great pictures, great descriptions, anecdotes, stories, and information about the series.

Santinidollar and Lehigh96 like this.
  12. baseball21

Of course. It does seem a little more plausible as the registries are older than I remembered as they go back to 01 though it does still seem a little high for a single section of the site. That said if it is accurate, that makes the initial decision an even worse business move

13. physics-fan3.14

I wouldn't think it would cost millions to actually develop a Registry. I mean, it's basically a simple database program, and you already have the database.

The cost comes in the admin. There are at least a couple of people who are continuously adding sets, adding coins to sets, evaluating scores, and responding to technical issues. There are also the annual prizes ($20k in prizes this year). The admin alone for the past 19 years totals in the millions, I'm sure.

-jeffB and furham like this.
  14. PennyGuy

PennyGuy US and CDN Copper

I see I’ve lost a few positions in the past few years. Oh well

15. Stork

Stork I deliver Supporter

Just a side note, there was a post over there not too long ago (in the registry section) that indicated NGC had given a crapton of money (several million) to a contractor that claimed to be on schedule. In the end they fell far short of their IT claims and demanded several million more to finish. Sounded like a government contractor trying to expand into a civilian field the way it reads NGC filed a multi-million dollar suit recently against the company. Kind of explained some persistently and nagging deficits (like getting the custom sets into the new format).

Likely nothing to do with the PCGS thing. Mostly I don't cross...but have crossed plenty. Sadly I recently sent something over in an overgraded PCGS slab. Now it's in a properly graded NGC slab. Poop, I missed out on some points :D. Not really caring though.

edited to add just read more than the email blurb realized it's only US coins, so completely irrelevant to the vast majority of what I'm interested in.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
    Mkman123 likes this.
  16. baseball21

Ouch, that certainly would increase the cost exponentially.

17. calcol

calcol Supporter! Supporter

I was a little upset when NGC decided to exclude adding PCGS coins to their registry, but not much. Most of my sets were already exclusively either PCGS or NGC with few mixed sets. Pretty quickly by crossing and selling/buying, I had them all one or the other ... PCGS primarily for US, NGC primarily for world. My ancients have always been slab-free and still are, but I haven't added to them for years.

In retrospect, it was a good thing because it forced me to re-evaluate my collection and my goals for it. In addition, it simplified my shopping ... for a given type, I only have to look at PCGS or NGC coins, but not both. For the occasional raw coin that I buy, its type determines which TPG to use.

Will I go back to having mixed sets in the NGC registry ... not a chance ... I'll let the sheep and goats tread their separate trails. :)

Cal

18. Santinidollar

Why does the NGC staff have to approve them?

19. Santinidollar

I’ve put together one NGC set and two PCGS sets. It’s a blast. I’ll never be an award winner, but it hasn’t cut down on my fun a bit.

baseball21 likes this.
  20. Santinidollar

I found where NGC discloses the approval clause for PCGS coins. I have to wonder if their administrators will get totally overwhelmed. Also, my suspicious nature asks “What’s the catch?”

21. physics-fan3.14

NGC doesn't actually have direct access to the PCGS census (for monetary reasons, I'm sure....). Every PCGS coin added to the NGC Registry has a waiting period while NGC approves and verifies it.

It never seemed to be a huge issue for admins in the past. Any coin I added would always be approved within a few hours.

I had more problems adding NGC designated Prooflike coins to my set than I ever did adding a PCGS coin!

And so, my suspicious nature replies to you, "What do you suspect the catch might be?"

Draft saved Draft deleted