PCGS Coins Im Sending

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by collectingkid, Nov 20, 2011.

1. collectingkid

collectingkid Copper Collector

Hello,
    I was at the Baltimore Coin show and I got 2 raw coins that Im going to send:

Снимок экрана 2011-11-20.jpg Снимок экрана 2011-11-20.jpg

So my question is: I will send them through a coin dealer in my town because I do not want to pay to sign up for PCGS so is it safe to do so or should I just join PCGS?

Thanks

Dan

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mark Feld

Mark Feld Rare coin dealer

I don't think the Indian Cent is worth submitting. The color looks off and/or as if it has been cleaned. And the Large Cent might not be worth having graded either, due to cleaning.

If you do have someone submit coins for you, make sure that they are authorized by PCGS to do so. And make certain, in advance, that you know exactly what the fees will be, including postage.

4. JRM43

JRM43 New Member

Really neat pick ups. I love the color of the large cent.

5. collectingkid

They are not cleaned.

6. collectingkid

It is the bad pictures, I got these coins from trusted dealers

7. Mark Feld

Mark Feld Rare coin dealer

Whether those coins have been cleaned or not, a number of "trusted dealers" sell cleaned coins.

8. DW-coins

DW-coins Slave to coins...

The large cent almost looks like it was polished so I'm pretty sure it'll pull a details but I'm less certain about the IHC. I think the "off color" people are posting about may be a photo problem and not from an earlier dipping. Judging from the background color of the large cent, I'm thinking it may be a white balance issue.

9. lkeigwin

lkeigwin Well-Known Member

Personally, I would't spend the money on grading. Is it really worth $80 or so?

I also listen very carefully to Mark's advice.
    Lance.

10. collectingkid

ok thanks everyone I will just keep them in my albums.

11. collectingkid

I wanted to do a pcgs set registry for coronet large cents, but my wish has fallen apart :(

12. onejinx

onejinx Junior Member

Can you take bigger pics of the coins? It might help to determine if they are actually cleaned

13. collectingkid

Here I go:

Снимок экрана 2011-11-20.jpg Снимок экрана 2011-11-20.jpg

I always thought cleaned coin should have hairlines but this one doesn't, I think the coin is just toned from being in an album.

Dan

14. collectingkid

and also is the die breaks and the horned 8 a premium?

15. Keep them raw and save the money to buy more coins. Congrats on the purchase. :smile TC

16. ddoomm1

ddoomm1 keep on running

hey man..dont let your wishes fall apart...if you truly like collecting large cents go ahead and dont let anyone tell you otherwise..however as a young collector myself I never hesitate to ask for advise and in the end if you still aren't sure, trust your gut feeling

17. collectingkid

thanks man.

18. collectingkid

19. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

By them already graded. There are plenty of graded middle date large cents available. Both of them are nice coins and Mark is correct that even trust dealers sell cleaned large cents. Does not mean they are not nice coins, but the grading fee's for genuine coin can be painful. I am glad to see you are heeding his advice.

20. Merc Crazy

Merc Crazy Bumbling numismatic fool

This.

Feld used to grade for NGC, odds are his opinion is dead on...

21. vnickels

vnickels Matt Draiss Numismatics & Galleries

The Indian is an MS-63 or so IMO so I would not bother sending it.

Draft saved Draft deleted