PCGS Coin -condensation on edge of holder? Normal?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Redsquirrel, Mar 14, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Redsquirrel

Redsquirrel New Member

I got a PCGS black holder Morgan the other day, one of those 100th anniversary ones and it shows some condensation or stain on the one edge, is this normal? And do you think this is toning or like dirt or something on the front? I think it's toning but it's pretty brown.....hmmmmm I'm no expert lol.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

• 2323.jpg
      2323.jpg
      File size:
      122.5 KB
      Views:
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

Looks like the morgan might of been in a album and got some residue.You sure thats authentic?don't recall seeing a PCGS holder like yours.Can you get full pictures of the slab,might be counterfeit,where did you buy it.

Redsquirrel likes this.
  4. Redsquirrel

Redsquirrel New Member

Hi, I don't have a better picture at the moment I got it from Apmex. So I think it's normal, just looked a bit odd with that condensation thanks!

5. Redsquirrel

Redsquirrel New Member

6. potty dollar 1878

Nothing is truly 100% air tight and things can happen.What effected your coin was a environmental factor from something. If you like it then keep it but technically it is a details coin now.

Redsquirrel likes this.
  7. ifthevamzarockin

ifthevamzarockin Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum! :)

Looks like you purchased a MS-63 1921 Morgan.
    Morgan dollars can tone over time for many reasons.
    Some tone with bright colors and some tone darker with black & grey shades.
    It doesn't look like there is anything "wrong" with the coin.
    I would be willing to bet it is a market acceptable coin for a MS-63 grade.
    This is the problem with buying from a bulk listing with stock photos.

Redsquirrel likes this.
  8. Redsquirrel

Redsquirrel New Member

9. Redsquirrel

Redsquirrel New Member

Yes I learned that i shouldn't buy graded coins from bulk listings with stock photos for sure.....I figured I might get a great looking one, but nope....not this time

dwhiz and ifthevamzarockin like this.
  10. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I gotta ask, where exactly are you seeing this condensation ? Can you describe its location ? Because I don't see anything that looks like condensation to me.

I'll grant you it's certainly possible there could be some, especially at this time of year, and if you just got it. If the coin was outside, in the cold, while it was being shipped and delivered to you, then yeah, some condensation could form when the coin was brought inside where it's warm. But it would also dry up in a few days because slabs are not airtight. Nor would it hurt anything as long as it's on the slab and not the coin itself. And even if it is on the coin, it still may not hurt anything.

On the coin I can plainly see some brown toning around the edges, and bit more in the fields around the tip of the wreath, but that's toning, not condensation. And yeah, that's certainly not unusual. So try an explain what you're seeing and exactly where you're seeing it.

Redsquirrel and Mountain Man like this.
  11. potty dollar 1878

There was a obverse picture but it disappeared,a dark redish like tone effected around 1/3 of the obverse.

Redsquirrel likes this.
  12. potty dollar 1878

Ampex is a large business and they don't have time to take a picture of every single coin which explains stock photos.You just don't know what it looks like exactly.Also most of there items are overpriced.1921 morgans are pretty common until they get into the high quality gem range(65 and above)Rather then Ampex I would suggest ebay which you can find a great(exact)coin for the right price.

Redsquirrel likes this.
  13. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

First of all, Welcome to CT @Redsquirrel.
    Second; as mentioned by @GDJMSP, I'm not seeing condensation. You repeated that you are seeing it, but condensation is: water which collects as droplets on a cold surface when humid air is in contact with it.
    So, are you referring to that, or the discoloration on the coin?

Redsquirrel likes this.
  14. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Toning isnt condensation

Redsquirrel likes this.
  15. potty dollar 1878

I never said it was condensation that was the op.

Redsquirrel likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted