PCGS Attribution Service Question

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Puddin'Farts, Mar 19, 2019.

1. Puddin'Farts

Puddin'Farts Member

Hi guys, I posted a 66 SP67 No FG Kennedy Half yesterday that is unattributed. This coin is already designated SP67 by PCGS in a newer holder. I obviously like the grade, but is there a way to pay for attribution alone or will it need to be resubmitted? I was thinking maybe a Reholder submission+attribution? Anyone had experience with cherry picking a variety/error already slabbed and have some words of wisdom?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. 40_mila_kokkina

40_mila_kokkina Active Member

Best services for attributions are SEGS and ANACS. It will need to be cracked out but what some do to avoid this is place neat stickers on top of the slab with the additional needed information.

4. Puddin'Farts

Puddin'Farts Member

Hard to pick up context through writing but I assume this is sarcasm?

5. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

No. While partly true, it’s largely just fanboy nonsense.

baseball21 likes this.
  6. Puddin'Farts

Puddin'Farts Member

I'm getting lost here...

7. BooksB4Coins

You asked if the other guy’s post was sarcasm. I answered.

He’s a SEGS fanboy.

8. Puddin'Farts

Puddin'Farts Member

Ahh I understand. Never saw that name yet but had to wonder what his point was. Got it now. Can't see why anyone with a rational response would suggest me depleting the value of this coin to a SEGS Holder

baseball21 likes this.
  9. gronnh20

gronnh20 Well-Known Member

Right off the PCGS website.

What does the service cost?
    The cost is $18 added to the level of service utilized. For example, if you chose a Regular service level ($32/coin) plus variety attribution, your grading fees would come to $50. Crossover submissions are acceptable. Show Service is not available. To add a variety to an already graded PCGS coin, the cost is $18 plus the corresponding reholder fee if the customer is not requesting a grading service level. The same fees apply to dealers adding this service to their orders.

Stevearino and baseball21 like this.
  10. BooksB4Coins

Rational doesn’t always work here, unfortunately. ;)

As for your original question, are you sure the variety is recognized by your preferred TPG?

11. 40_mila_kokkina

SEGS is known for variety attributions and so is ANACS. If you want me to tell you a load of nonsense I could tell you to use NNC or NTC for this but it would be less than accurate. If you just want high prices for poorly graded coins go to PCGS with their 1 star rating on Yelp: https://www.yelp.com/biz/pcgs-professional-coin-grading-service-newport-beach?sort_by=date_desc If you want a grading service that specializes in attributions then use SEGS or ANACS.

12. Puddin'Farts

Puddin'Farts Member

Awesome! I guess A.D.D. kicked in before I finished reading to the answer I was looking for the first time. Thank you

gronnh20 likes this.
  13. Puddin'Farts

Puddin'Farts Member

Ha yeah that was honestly the first response I have gotten on here that just made me want to bang my head though "Just break it out and send it to SEGS"...

As for the attribution, I do know that they at least have recognized the attribution. I can't see why they would stop as they are still listed in the pop reports. IMG_20190318_151254.jpg IMG_20190318_151420.jpg IMG_20190318_154702.jpg

Seattlite86 likes this.
  14. Puddin'Farts

Puddin'Farts Member

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
  15. 40_mila_kokkina

The missing factor in this is there's no guarantee the reputations of TPG will remain constant, stay the same in the future. Some could get taken over or go out of business. Some TPG get better, stay the same or decline with time. There was a time when PCI was well respected and now it's basically done. ANACS also was a bit more popular then it took a hit but now it seems stable as before. ICG was popular, took a dip and now is fairly status-quo. SEGS started off holdering lots of bad problem coins giving them regular grades but has greatly improved with time (maybe the best grader now) except they need to get more into doing online stuff to expand. They're a bit behind the times (which isn't bad necessarily) whereas other companies do more to create a marketplace for themselves. A lot of this has to do with limited budget and being understaffed to do all the jobs necessary. NTC is usually good from my experience but every now and then they grade too low or high and miss coins that belong in details holders (as do the others). NNC grades lots of problem coins in regular holders, can't recommend it. Then there's IGS, ACCGS which seems okay, etc. There were other graders that went out of business but seemed to do decent work for instance NUMEX and DGS. I've always wondered what percentage of the current market of graded coins go to what companies. What percentage is the market share among them? Also are there any unconventional coin grading services you personally like, ones that grade well, give excellent service, make quality slabs, give quick turnaround, etc.

16. JAY-AR

JAY-AR Well-Known Member

Just a thought, but you might want to try VSS, if you want to keep the PCGS Slab.
    http://www.varslab.com/vamslab.html
    I have sent John coins other than VAM's and he'll slap one of his cool stickers on the back with PCGS # Check it out....might be a good option. I believe he works with PCGS on VAM attributions. Here's a sample
    1923 VSS sample rv.jpg 1923 VSS sample ob.jpg

messydesk and Seattlite86 like this.
  17. JAY-AR

JAY-AR Well-Known Member

Oh, cost for this is about $6 plus return shipping......

18. Puddin'Farts

Puddin'Farts Member

This is the wrong post to have that conversation. That being said, coins graded by "lesser" company's are just a waste of money in my opinion. If I like it, I'll put it in my book for personal collection. Other than that there's no resale value and I paid someone for their opinion which we all know are sometimes like sphincters...everyone's got one.

Santinidollar and baseball21 like this.
  19. Puddin'Farts

Puddin'Farts Member

From what I gathered on them they only do the VAMS and not any variety? I have looked into them though and it's a great service I plan to use when I start attempting my Super CD collection since most aren't recognized by the TPG's

20. BooksB4Coins

If you stick around, sooner or later you’re going to start wanting to bang your head on pretty much a daily basis. Just keep a pillow or something soft handy, lest you end up like those causing the desire. ;)

I hadn’t looked it up and it’s been a number of years since I’ve been actively involved. Now that I have (quickly) and just to clarify, this is FS901?

Perhaps your best bet would be simply to reach out to PCGS, assuming you’d want to keep her in said plastic. ‘Tis better safe than sorry.

21. JAY-AR

JAY-AR Well-Known Member

Puddin, VSS does attribute other than VAMs. They have done coins for me in the past. If he can verify the variety, (he will have no problems with this one) he will add the appropriate information on the slab. Good luck on the Super CD's! I have several myself. by the way, ANACS will attribute all VAMs. Are you familiar with VAMWorld? http://ec2-13-58-222-16.us-east-2.compute.amazonaws.com/wiki/Home
    PM me if you have questions and I can put you in touch with VSS (JB) thru VAMWORLD and you can ask him to attribute your coin. Hope this helps and good luck!

Draft saved Draft deleted