PCGS and Questionable Toning Designation

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by WingedLiberty, Sep 19, 2010.

1. WingedLiberty

WingedLiberty Well-Known Member

I know that PCGS has will holder a coin as "Genuine and Not Gradable" for "Questionable Color" (assigning a code value of 91). I am guessing they mean Artificially Toned, though I am not 100% sure of that.

If that's true, how did this coin slide by?

I dont think I have ever seen a better example of "questionable toning".
    What am i missing here?

Eagle67.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Well, 2 things I guess. 1 would be that their opinion of what is questionable and what is not questionable varies from time to time. And 2 would be that they did not think that was questionable.

Personally, I'm inclined to agree.

4. coinman0456

coinman0456 Coin Collector

Crazy things happen , every day .

5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Can we see the reverse, please?

Chris

6. krispy

krispy krispy

WingedLiberty

Do you own this coin? or is this something you found on eBay maybe? The image overall looks juiced. The saturation level is excessive and is very likely why the color seems so deep/rich/intense. The coin may not look like this in hand and the toning thus not as questionable as you are basing it and PCGS' assessment by this poor quality, probably juiced, image file. Just something to consider.

7. Luke1988

Luke1988 New Member

How can a coin get to look like that in just five years?

8. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Photoshop?

9. Mark Feld

Mark Feld Rare coin dealer

Reaction to its environment, and has been mentioned, images which might make the color appear more vivid than it actually is.

10. WingedLiberty

11. krispy

krispy krispy

Why wait 5 years when you can buy them off eBay right now!

12. WingedLiberty

So how exactly does one get a coin to tone like that?

I heard some people say if you chop up a boiled egg and put it in a baggie with the coin
    it will tone colorfully (something about sulfur?)

This stuff is crazy to me!

13. Lugia

Lugia ye olde UScoin enthusiast

ASEs sure tone alot differently from most other silver US coins. if that were anything else you could say it would be screaming AT.

14. krispy

krispy krispy

In THIS case, the example you have shown, it's a matter of using Photoshop to 'juice' the image file of a coin that already has tone, just not this severely toned. The image file is manipulated.

What you are asking about, how heavy toning is achieved is not the same thing as how does THIS coin look this way. This is digital image manipulation. Visual deception/trickery by a few clicks of the mouse in a graphics editing application.

15. krispy

krispy krispy

16. GDJMSP

Contrary to what many seem to think, coins can tone remarkably quickly under the right conditions - far less than 5 years.

17. BR549

BR549 Junior Member

How does a seller modify the auction description bar to include "Attractive Level" ???

Item specifics

Geography: United States
    Weight: 1 Troy Ounce
    Year: 2005
    Strike Type: Business
    Certification: PCGS
    Attractive Level: A solid 10+!

18. WingedLiberty

GD, how could i duplicate that coloring in 5 years ... i would like to do an experiment with it.

19. krispy

krispy krispy

You cannot duplicate what you are seeing in this image on the coin, the coin has tone and the image is manipulated further.

20. GDJMSP

As the man said - you can't. I have tried to explain more times than I can count that there are hundreds, thousands and maybe even more variables involved in how a coin tones. And each one of them can vary from day. And nobody, including the owner of the coin, ever even knows what all of those variables were.

So duplicating toning on any given coin is impossible.

21. tonedcoins

tonedcoins New Member

One thing I have been asking myself for a while is why do ASE's tone so quickly? If you look or research for ASE's on the internet, you will find so many toned but with (IMO) very questionable toning. I have stayed away from these pieces until I learn more about them. Sometimes I think it's in the way the metal is processed before the strike.

Maybe the way the metals are mixed and planchets are made has something to do with it? I mean, If you get a Morgan and a ASE side by side and store them in a wood display box under some strong lighting, the ASE will tone quickly with almost neon purples and stuff while the Morgan looks as if nothing ever happened.

I say this because I have seen it happening in some dealers shop. I asked if they were there for a while and he confirmed that they have been there for a long time.

Draft saved Draft deleted