PCGS and NGC is there grading similar ?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by mpcusa, Sep 8, 2022.

1. imrich

imrich Supporter! Supporter

I believe you know the answer is that PCGS over the years has spent far more effort/funds to advertise its' product.

When I do a regular Google general search for a type of coin, I'll get a question whether I just want PCGS products. LOL

I did a long term extensive blind (i.e. without all coins graded previous slab) grading evaluation, and the most important thing I learned was not to submit raw to either NGC or PCGS, but buy CACed already graded coins.

I learned other quirks related to the standards for individual coin types, but that appears to have evolved over time since the 1977 ANA standards were published.

I did learn that neither TPG wants to receive an ACG believed properly graded coin in holder, for a "cross-over". LOL

JMHO

Last edited: Sep 10, 2022
    mpcusa likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

@mpcusa
    Now that the thread has progressed, it seems that this is the real question you want answered. As a general rule, is playing the crack-out game profitable ?

The rather obvious, or at least it should be obvious, answer is - no, it is not. And the reason it should be obvious is - if it was, everybody would be doing it. So the fact that everybody is not doing it answers your question.

The next step or question asked in these discussions is typically - can playing the crack-out game be profitable ? And the answer to that question is a resounding yes ! But there is a huge qualifier to that answer - ONLY if one has the required skill, experience, and knowledge to be able to correctly and consistently pick out the few specific coins where this can be done.

And that, that's the hard part. And it's the reason that the few people who can do this are the highest paid people there are in numismatics. They are known as buyers and they typically work for the largest dealers and auction houses. Their job is to travel the country going to coin shows, auctions, and visiting a few dealer shops along the way, seeking out those few specific coins.

There are also a few who successfully do this on their own. But because their working capital is usually limited, they can rarely make as much money as they could by working for the big companies. But they can make a decent living.

4. charley

charley Well-Known Member

I would want to view the statistics, of your adamant statement of fact. You are not offering an opinion, you are not offering a qualified opinion. You are declaring an unqualified statement of fact. I do not agree with the facts you state.

It is not the 1970s. Do you have any data on the percentage of crack-outs and what category re-submitted...collectors, auction houses, dealers, vest pocket dealers, etc.? Do you have any data on the percentage of "success" of the process? Do you have any data of these few highest paid people and the entity that employs them?

I am certain you understand that I take umbrage with your resounding yes answer, as it applies in 2022.

Truth in editing: added the word "not" for continuity of my post.

5. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

6. imrich

There's also a better way by meeting these people, and offering a better price for some coins seen that their employer normally wouldn't want to purchase.

If you're an "accumulator" of certain CACed coins, and have the money, not interested in leaving home, but pay a better premium than most, it's a win-win situation for some.

JMHO

7. imrich

I concur with the adamant Yes in post 42, based on my experiences where the coins I choose to select and purchase, continue to advance in sales price, regardless of the current diminished intrinsic value.

Luck? I think NOT!

It's believed personal knowledge and CAC accreditation may be related to value stabilization.

JMHO

8. charley

Exactly the opposite of the post I responded to, and that does not translate into a concurrence with an adamant yes.

The post you now made should actually be a resounding no. The advent of CAC in 2008, has contributed to the demise of the individuals that GDJMSP has opined are the leading reason for crack-outs and there are only a very few blahblah.

I call Baloney.

There most definitely is NOT value stabilization between the TPGs, and the only stabilization of anything by CAC is that CAC passes 2/3 of the coins submitted without regard to which TPG Holder the coin is encapsulated in.

There is no value stabilization of CAC pieces, either, except that they will sell higher than a non-CAC coin, and from week to week for the last several months the prices realized for the pieces increase with each offer.

The very statement by you, which uses CAC as the platform of your thoughts, should cause you to chuckle a bit at the 70s period description of experience that GDJMSP adamantly states is fact in the present market, and that only a few at the top are the bestest of the best and the 'game" is controlled by these mysterious few, and that his answer to the crack-out "game" question by the OP is not an opinion, but an undisputed fact.

I wonder if you thought carefully about his "facts". Again, it is 2022, not the 70s that he is describing.

9. charley

I should not emulate the non-fact facts in a post, especially when I am questioning the facts of another member's post.
    The passage rate is +/- 40% or so, not 2/3.

What I do know is that it is not the mysterious few playing the crack-out game that are the bestest of the best submitting to CAC, because the passage rate would be a hell of a lot higher. Not to mention, why would these mysterious individuals even need a TPG or 4PG coin re-submittal? Wouldn't their exhalated status of coin selection be enough of an endorsement to the worth of the piece?

Now, ask the question that arises from the facts presented by GDJSMP-what about those other 60% or so of coins that did not receive a CAC award?

Logic. Question everything.

Truth in editing: added a "t"

-jeffB likes this.
  10. imrich

I've only read his current facts published in this thread 2022, thus: "ONLY if one has the required skill, experience, and knowledge to be able to correctly and consistently pick out the few specific coins where this can be done."

CAC also is believed to represent specific coin condition, at or above average.

What is happening with the TPGs, it's believed, is because of those who aren't acquiring coins with the same knowledge as I.

JMHO

JMHO
    If, as I, you believe in the talents existing at CAC, The 60% (I thing greater) sub-average grade coins may be acquired as purchased premium TPG graded coins at a desirable price.

The individuals I have attending shows, searching for my coins, are of a proven calibre that I would expect to be employed at CAC, sending me quality enlarged images of the COIN.

They know the slab is of little importance to me, only the grade and image.

11. charley

12. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

As I have pointed out to you before and probably several times the PCGS curreny that turned into Legacy was a licensing agreement to use the PCGS name. The agreement expired and PCGS/CU brought currency grading back in house.

PCGS has been grading currency in house for YEARS now since it restarted instead of licensing the name out to another entity. Its amazing someone who is supposed to collect currency wouldnt be aware of this especially when its been pointed out before

13. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

nope

PCGS and NGC is there grading similar ?

I meant what I said.

Draft saved Draft deleted