PCGS and NGC is there grading similar ?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by mpcusa, Sep 8, 2022.

1. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

The reason I am asking this question
    is I have been looking for my next $20
    Liberty and have noticed on some of
    the coins I have been looking at say
    ( NGC only, no PCGS ) I guess my question is do they grade similar ? like if I cracked open an NGC slab and sent
    it in to PCGS what are the chances
    that I would receive the sand grade ?

use to do this all the time with currency PCGS and PMG with good
    results 7 out of 10 would maintain
    grade two would go down and one
    would go up.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. charley

charley Well-Known Member

4. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

5. charley

Anyway, settle on the side of either one, as long as there is a CAC Green or Gold sticker attached (a legitimate sticker...accept no substitutes).

6. Mr.MonkeySwag96

Mr.MonkeySwag96 Well-Known Member

As Scott Traver’s puts it, PCGS is more conservative while NGC is more consistent

charley likes this.
  7. mpcusa

Thanks for the answers, I did notice that NGC slabs generally set fo less the
    PCGS ones, might be up for some cracking...LOL

charley likes this.
  8. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Someone will soon tell you that PGCS is the best grading service ever :)

rte, COOPER12, Hommer and 2 others like this.
  9. mpcusa

I am waiting...

10. charley

Which, when given a little thought, that is illogical logic, and gobbledygobbledness, and before anyone goes bananas and jumps all over me, think about it.

11. charley

With or without CAC?

12. charley

P G C S is the best grading service ever (psst...who are they?)

Don't hit me..I didn't do anything except copy what was posted.

13. mpcusa

A matter of choice really but there are marked differences, as noted such as price it seems you can get the same coin and grade cheaper in an NGC slab and still cheaper then that in a ANACS slab, so evidently TPG name means something.

14. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Your spell-checking is atrocious

15. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

For a guy like you, look up recent sales of the same coin with same grade. Find the one that sells for more. Use that TPG.

16. mpcusa

There is no PCGS example, thats why I asked the question..LOL

17. charley

I am certain there is an example of sales/auction prices listed for a PCGS or NGC piece. I rest assured you do not have some 1 off $20.00 Liberty that has never been on the market. Legend, GC, CAC, PCGS, NGC ANA, Heritage, Stacks, etc.., etc., all have extensive listings, and I assume you know this.

LOL.....

hotwheelsearl likes this.
  18. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

You have more faith in CAC than I do. My observation is that a lesser coin in an NGC holder is more likely to get a CAC sticker than the PCGS - CAC combination.

Generally I think that PCGS is more conservative than NGC, but my most valuable coin is in an NGC holder because I liked it.

19. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

To answer the Ops original question the answer is no. They do not grade similar. They each use their own standards. In some ways these standards can be very similar, but in others they are not.

And here's a pretty shocking fact: regardless of which grading service has the more difficult standard to meet, the coin in a PCGS holder typically sells for more. That is not my opinion, that is an empirical fact.

mpcusa likes this.
  20. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

their not there

AdamL likes this.
  21. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

For as long as the 2 TPGs - NGC, PCGS - have existed that same basic question has been asked and debated so many times that not only is the horse dead and still being beaten, the guy beating the dead horse is also dead and there's a line waiting their turn to beat on him !

And ya know what ? There has never been nor will there ever be a consensus as to which of the two is better !

And, over the 20 years this forum has existed the resulting answer among CT forum members ends up being pretty evenly split, or as others put it - 50/50.

My personal observations over the entire time they have existed are that NGC is tougher/more strict on some series, and PCGS is tougher/more strict on other series. And when crossovers are attempted each will upgrade, downgrade, or cross coins slabbed by the other. Again, with no definitive consensus regarding the outcome.

So if one really wants an answer to the question - flip a coin. For that's as good a method of getting an answer as there is.

Draft saved Draft deleted