PCGS#...1938 D/D Buffalo

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by fish4uinmd, Oct 29, 2017.

1. fish4uinmd

fish4uinmd Well-Known Member

I need some help with this one...was does this slab have a #520090. designation??
    instead of #93984 ?
    a 38d.jpg

jaceravone likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

I think the first set of numbers is the submission form numbers, plus grade ( .66 ) ..

4. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

It say Pcgs# 500090 . I still think it's the invoice number .
    https://www.pcgs.com/cert/82102539

5. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

520090 is the PCGS identification number for the 1938 D/D RPM 2 5c.

@Rick Stachowski the PCGS # has nothing to do with invoice numbers

Rick Stachowski likes this.
  6. fish4uinmd

7. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Because it's a different coin.

dwhiz likes this.
  8. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

Technically both coins are the same variety. The difference lies in what is designated on the label. PCGS #93984 refers simply to the generic D/D listing. PCGS #520090 refers to the specific D/D RPM-#2 listing.

If you go here, https://www.pcgs.com/prices/priceguidedetail.aspx?ms=1&pr=1&sp=1&c=83&title=buffalo+nickel and scroll down to the 1938 D/D listing and click on the + button, you will see the 520090 listing.

The only real difference between the two coins, is #93984 will be attributed for free by PCGS and #520090 requires you to pay the attribution fee. Paying the attribution fee get's the actual RPM# listed on the coin. In this case it's the RPM-#2. PCGS does not recognize the other D/D varieties.

ldhair, Seattlite86 and baseball21 like this.
  9. fish4uinmd

Thanks jt...I searched this link and could only find the 93984. Got it, have to click on the + sign to go to the 520090 listing...and it is shown as a "minor variety" which appears to be worth more. A die variety of the same coin, Note: there is no mintage shown on the 520090 listing.
    http://www.pcgscoinfacts.com/Coin/Detail/520090

Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
  10. Youngcoin

Youngcoin Everything Collector

Hey guys I hope you don't mind me asking but there seems to be quite a bit of 1938 D buffalo threads going on lately, so I ask, why are they significant/desireable are they just a good strike?

Nice nickle by the way

Thanks,
    Jacob

11. fish4uinmd

Jacob, there was 7M+ minted...which included the D/D variety (RPM). I really missed a nice one here! Worth about $130-150. Nice avatar by the way.

Youngcoin likes this.
  12. Pickin and Grinin

Thanks for clarifying that @jtlee321 I have had this omm-001 for a while. And have always wondered why it had mint error on the label. This one has an E #.

Thanks for the thread @fish4uinmd IMG_0001_1.JPG

fish4uinmd likes this.
  13. jtlee321

Technically "Mint Error" should not appear on the label unless it has an actual error. The D/S is a variety as I'm sure you know. Is there possibly a strike through or something minor on the coin that does not grab your eye right away? Do you have an image of the coin?

14. Youngcoin

Youngcoin Everything Collector

Thanks for the answer, and thanks for the complement I made it myself!

Thanks,
    Jacob

15. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

I thought it referred to the coin being listed as a D/S omm as compared to an RPM. One number standing for the D/S the other being the D/D or D/D/D
    Also some only recognise the D/D not the D/D/D even though you can count the underlying Letters.

16. Pickin and Grinin

I will look thru my photos, and inspect it again,as I have only been able to attribute it as a OMM.

Some folk see these as Variety's ( includes me) others see them as errors, I think PCGS will attribute them either way, if you give them money!

17. Pickin and Grinin

This is an early photo of the slab. IMG_3256.JPG And a generic photo of the reverse. IMG_3259.JPG

Beefer518 and jtlee321 like this.
  18. jtlee321

I'll bomb this thread tomorrow. :p

19. Beefer518

Beefer518 Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted