PC games in ancient times

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by ambr0zie, Oct 11, 2021.

1. ambr0zie

ambr0zie Dacian Taraboste

I wanted to name this thread "Ancient games" but this would have been very confusing, as some people would have understood "old PC games" or a collector would have thought about ancient Olympics, Saecular games or something similar.

Just started playing Caesar III. Again.
    I am not a gamer and I was never skilled in any kind of games, even if I like playing for relaxing. But my patience is certainly not one of my virtues.
    This gem is quite old but there is a fan base even nowadays and some developers are still adding functionality to this game.
    Basically you need to build Roman cities from the scratch, creating infrastructure, economics, military, trade system, it was way ahead of its time.
    upload_2021-10-11_19-49-58.png

One of the areas in my Mediolanum.

Since there is a new mode that lowers the difficulty, I managed to pass this level (saving 2467321 times and using an equal number of bad words).

Does anybody know other games with action happening in Rome? I tried others but usually I unistalled them after 10 minutes.

Theoderic, Limes, Deacon Ray and 6 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

Total war: Rome is the only one that comes to mind

ambr0zie likes this.
  4. ambr0zie

I think I tried it but it seemed too complicated/hard to learn.
    Caesar III is not easy either but I played it for the 1st time in 2000:)
    I have also tried Caesar IV but I wasn't into it.

5. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

I did play Assassin's Creed Odysseywhich is played in and around ancient Greece.

ambr0zie and Noah Finney like this.
  6. Victor_Clark

Victor_Clark all my best friends are dead Romans Dealer

Assassin's Creed Origins takes place in Ptolemaic Egypt, with some Julius Caesar events.

In Civilization VI, you can play as Trajan.

Evan Saltis and ambr0zie like this.
  7. ambr0zie

Wow, thanks. Never played a Civilization game. Very good to know.

8. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

I've played Origins, which is a neat representation of Hellenistic Egypt.

Odyssey was a pretty good recreation of many parts of Greece.

Only grips is a lot of reused assets that sort of draw down the immersion. Why does almost every temple in BOTH games have the Parthenon pedimental statues?

Theodosius likes this.
  9. hotwheelsearl

Ryse: Son of Rome is an absolutely beautiful game that takes place during the reign of Nero.

Ryse is my number 1 recommendation for reliving Ancient Rome.

Theodosius and ambr0zie like this.
  10. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

They also had Pharoah, (the makers of Caesar III). Age of Empires was kind of like this too.

I used to really enjoy these games. "Trick" is your housing blocks and how to lay them out so the walkers accessed them. The later games they did away with this, and made the game immensely easier.

ambr0zie likes this.
  11. roman99

roman99 Well-Known Member

An alternate history reign of Nero, haven't played the game myself, but haven't heard many good things about it.

ambr0zie likes this.
  12. ambr0zie

Good suggestions. I played Pharaoh and I think I managed to finish it. Haven't tried the rest so I might.
    There is a similar game - Zeus - set in ancient Greece but I found that one inferior to Caesar and Pharaoh even if it was meant to be more complex.

13. Roerbakmix

Roerbakmix Well-Known Member

I really, really like Rome Total War. It’s one of the best balanced game I’ve played, and the dynamics of the strategy (managing the expanding empire) combined with the action of the battles is well thought through.

IMP Shogun and ambr0zie like this.
  14. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Youuuu guys. I never got past Pong on Atari 2600.

Deacon Ray, Cucumbor and ambr0zie like this.
  15. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

Age of Empires I has a bunch of ancient civilizations you can play as.

ambr0zie likes this.
  16. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Great subject!
    Lots of folks don't realize that Arcadius invented the arcades and Tetricus created Tetris:wacky:
    2126571_1629791272.l-removebg-preview.png Screenshot_20211007-142355_PicCollage-removebg-preview.png

17. ambr0zie

I knew that. RPG genre was invented by Regalianus, Pacatianus and Gallienus, hence the name.

DonnaML and Ryro like this.
  18. hotwheelsearl

I thought it was pretty great. Short game, but lots of fun, cool architecture, great battles. A little bit of a linear rail-shooter type of thing, but i thought it was a great 6 hours.

ambr0zie likes this.
  19. corvusconstantius

corvusconstantius Active Member

Rome Total war 1 and 2 are both excellent.

Age of Empires 2 has factions from many eras, many of which are from the fifth century Roman Theatre such as Huns, Goths, Franks, "Byzantines". There's even a campaign where you play as Alaric sacking Rome.

I played Caesar III and found it very hard but rewarding. I seem to remember a high rate of building collapse!

ambr0zie likes this.
  20. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

Looks like my kind of game. I am too often like Bob in what about Bob. I was going to post a link here, but decided sophomoric humor might not be everyone's cup of tea. If you need a chuckle, google - Quiet and Peace ("What about Bob?") - YouTube
    DSCN4749.JPG

Deacon Ray, Ryro, Theodosius and 2 others like this.
  21. IMP Shogun

IMP Shogun Well-Known Member

My favorite is Rome Total War Atilla

ambr0zie likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted