Paypal Phishing Scam

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by bkozak33, Aug 4, 2015.

1. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

Just got this in my email. I got -edited- when I read it at first, because I knew nothing of any case opened against me. So of course I never follow a link from an email to a financial institution, but I logged into my paypal account and of course it was just a scam.

PP.Resolution of Buyer Complaint Case # PP-329-190-311-137

Hello,

After careful consideration of the evidence provided in the case detailed
    below, we have completed our investigation and decided in favor of the
    buyer. Under terms of our User Agreement, we have debited the following
    amount from your PayPal account as a refund to the buyer: $15.00 USD

-----------------------------------
    Transaction Details

Buyer's name: Yraptoveria
    Buyer's email: yraptoveriasp@yah
    Transaction ID: 6TV5558937648187D

Transaction date: Jun 17, 2015
    Transaction amount: $15.00 USD

Your PayPal account is now limited !

What to Do Next

Please log into your PayPal account :

View the case details #PayPal Log In

Thank you for your patience and cooperation in this matter.

Thanks,
    PayPal Protection Services Department.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2015
    swamp yankee likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Moderators need to edit that post and remove the links from this forum. Just forward it to the paypal phishing email address.

swamp yankee likes this.
  4. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

i took care of it, and I did forward it

TX15FX4 likes this.
  5. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I've actually been getting phishing emails more or less like this for a couple of months now. I did receive the "Yraptoveria" one just today. Fortunately, none of them contain my actual name, which makes them easy to ignore. They don't try very hard to disguise their bogus links, either.

6. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

how do they know we have paypal accts?

7. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

They don't.
    That's why they call it 'phishing'.
    Put out thousands, millions of emails (chum), someone will bite.

Blissskr and phankins11 like this.
  8. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

They most probably don't know there is a PayPal account associated with your email address. I've received phishing emails from merchants that I don't have accounts with. For example, department stores (Target, Sears, etc) or stock brokerages (Fidelity, TDAmeritrade, etc.). A lot of times it's a real shot in the dark for them (the scammers). This is the most likely scenario.

If the scammers are sending emails only to PayPal emails, then it's possible they breached PayPal's security. It's also possible they hacked eBay and got your email from there. Or any other online site that you have your PayPal account tied with.

If neither of those two, then the scammer(s) could have gotten your PayPal email from a transaction you made with them previously. This is the least likely scenario and would most likely mean it's a small scale phishing operation.

@-jeffB said he received the "Yraptoveria" also. So it could very well be a large email blast.

9. It is always a red flag when they do not address you by your name or your correct name.

westcoasting and Endeavor like this.
  10. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

Bingo. Excellent point.

11. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I would go along with those who say "they don't", but as a matter of fact, the messages I've been getting are addressed to an email that I use solely for PayPal. If they were scattershot, I'd expect to see them coming to my other emails as well. I figured that there's some malware somewhere that scans its victims' email for PayPal transactions, and gathers the email addresses of the other parties. Hard to say, though.

If it were a PayPal leak, I'd expect them to have gotten our real names as well. But, really, these are pretty crude phishing attempts; whoever's behind them isn't very good at this.

12. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

IMO, the major "red flag" is in not having any of the links or reply emails going to the "paypal.com" domain.

13. Bob Patterson

Bob Patterson New Member

I just got it also on my work e-mail. I have no pay pal account with this e-mail.

14. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

I get similar one frequently. Two clues to avoid any problem.
    First, if they do not have your name, ignore it. This is rue for both PayPal and eBay.
    Second, NEVER EVER click on the link from any similar email. If there is a question that it might be real, access your own account to see if there is a problem. Assuming you actually have an account, the links there are safe.

15. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Thanks. Was a worried someone might click the link and was not sure you could get back in quick enough to edit the post. I used to get these once in a while - been years since I have seen one.

16. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

Just always look at the address chain on any email on this nature. I get ones all the time saying my BOA, Chase, NFCU, Paypal etc is having issues please long in (using this link) and blah blah blah. I don't even have half the accounts I get emails about but the address chain always reveals they're not real even if they try and spoof it the best they can.

I am however waiting 10.5 million from a man who managed to slip it out of Iraq before the U.S. invasion. He just needs a U.S. citizen and a few thousand dollars to claim it from customs. If that falls through I've apparently also won some European lottery that I never even knew I entered lol.

17. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Email address lists are cheap. A thumb drive can hold millions. Plug it into your computer, create a phony site, write a phishing email, click on 'send to all', and I'm sure that many on that email list have an account with the company you're trying to spoof. Some of them will click on the link. If one person logs into the phony site and provides info, you've at least made your investment back.

Draft saved Draft deleted