PayPal No Longer Returning Fees from Refunds!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by iPen, Sep 20, 2019.

1. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

Sell

Maxfli likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Libby007

Libby007 Active Member

"Sell"? - Not sure what you mean...........

4. UncleScroge

UncleScroge Well-Known Member

Sell, not sale.

Maxfli and masterswimmer like this.
  5. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

How, given that it imposes cost on the seller, not the buyer?

baseball21 likes this.
  6. Libby007

Libby007 Active Member

Opps..... Thinking of sailing the Chesapeake Bay

7. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

Where does it say the seller pays this fee? That wouldn't make any sense at all.

8. harrync

harrync Well-Known Member

Wow! You got a chance to respond to the complaint. When I got a "not as described", paypal reversed the transaction, sending my account negative and resulting in its suspension, causing me a lot of grief, without giving me a chance to respond. When I did finally get to point out to them that the buyer issued his "not as described" complaint while tracking showed that the post office had not yet delivered it, I got my money back. They agreed that what they did was absurd, and were so sorry for all the trouble they caused me, but that was just the way the system worked, so tough luck.

9. -jeffB

From the OP:

Since those transaction fees are charged to the seller, not the buyer, they will be "not-returned" to the seller, not the buyer.

baseball21, masterswimmer and iPen like this.
  10. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

Maybe this thread needs a TL;DR:

Pre-13 October: PP kept only the $0.30 per transaction fee and returned the 2.9% fee to the Seller. The Buyer received a full refund.

13 October onwards: With this new PP policy, PP keeps the 2.9% + $0.30 per transaction fee, and the Seller receives the remaining balance after fees. The Buyer receives a full refund.

11. Jaelus

I see how you can read it that way. The language is ambiguous though. Considering the topic is the refund to the buyer, I read it as that the buyer would receive their refund, less the fees. A model already exists for this in how shipping costs are paid by the buyer but are not refunded during a return. Without clarification from eBay, I don't think we can conclusively determine who ultimately pays the fees in this scenario, however, it makes no sense for the seller to pay fees for selling an item when the item ultimately did not sell.

12. Libby007

Libby007 Active Member

UPDATE re: PAYPAL's "ASSISTANCE" ...NOT - After a 30 minute chat with PayPal I come to the - known - fact that PayPal has NO interest in assisting a seller in a disputed claim by an unscrupulous, completely dishonest, lying, unethical and morally deficient eBay buyer. PayPal is littered with "canned" responses to any factual questions I presented. According to Melicent at PayPal..." if the buyer does not return the coin within 10 days...you win the case"? WT???? is that? Also, if the coin is not returned in the condition sent...I "win" the case. I have never felt so jacked-around since my divorce. What a sad state of affairs that we - sellers - are FORCED by eBay to use an incompetent company like PayPal as we sellers are conducting ethically based small businesses.

13. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Its the SELLER that doesn't get their fees back. The buyer gets a full refund. There is nothing to read. People that have been selling on eBay know exactly where the fees are charged and how this will happen. eBay even explained it in a seller update. The SELLER is the one who will not get their fees back. There is no ambiguity that it will be the SELLER

14. baseball21

Not for much longer. You are right though PayPals customer service in my experience has been even worse that eBay's by far

15. Jaelus

Got it, thanks. Ok so then all we have to do is specify that we do not accept returns, that way any returns have to be processed as a SNAD and would not cause PayPal to retain fees if a refund is issued. Am I missing something else here, because it seems that easy to avoid this completely?

16. baseball21

It seems like that would be one way, though that would hurt the listings position in their search algorithms. I've also seen some sellers adding a 3% return fee to cover the cost especially on more expensive items. If nothing else this seems like the push a lot of people would need to look more into the eBay payment system

17. NPCoin

NPCoin Resident Imbecile

The use of any payment processor is under contract (Terms of Use), and everybody should read their contracts thoroughly.

There is much more in depth detail further in the contract, but for starters, as read in Transaction Fees for Online and In-Store Payments - Standard transaction fees -
    I have to leave for now, but there is a plethora of "circumstances" that follow further in the agreement where you, as a seller, incur more and more possible cash liabilities.

18. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

The Buyer can easily go around the no returns policy by claiming SNAD every time. I think it may actually work out to completely eliminate PayPal altogether, and allow direct CC/DC payments instead. PayPal would simply be another middle man in this situation.

Come to think of it, if a Seller had not used PayPal for say 1,000 transactions and went with CC only, and those sales would have taken place anyway (big caveat), then that Seller would have saved $300 from just the $0.30 transaction fees alone.

Jaelus likes this.
  19. -jeffB

Google "credit card processing transaction fees". Most services will hit you for 25 to 30 cents per transaction if you don't have the card in your hand when you process it.

20. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

I need to find a way to combat this. I used to give buyers a 3% break if they paid me with a check or MO instead of PayPal. Now, I’m thinking of restoring that practice and increasing the discount to 4% to grow my reputation for doing business the old fashioned way.

Thoughts?

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
  21. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

Apparently, PayPal is being replaced by Adyen (Dutch-based company) as the preferred payment processor (link below). In light of that, I guess you could offer a discount to buyers not using PayPal, and add Adyen now if it's available (I have no idea). I'm personally leaning towards removing PayPal altogether in October, and then figuring out if Adyen is worth adding later. If someone really wants to buy a coin or whatever, wouldn't they just have their CC/DC details saved or entered manually at time of purchase (directly without PP like with many other online vendors)?

https://www.ebayinc.com/stories/news/ebay-to-intermediate-payments-on-its-marketplace-platform/

Draft saved Draft deleted