Pawn Stars penny buckets

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by GreatWalrus, Feb 12, 2013.

1. GreatWalrus

GreatWalrus WHEREZ MAH BUKKIT

Anyone see the new episode of Pawn Stars tonight?

Corey, Chum, and Rick found some buckets of pennies and wondered where they came from. The Old man came in and said that he hoards the buckets of copper pennies in hopes that he can sell them if they become legal to melt one day.

One problem I noticed: I saw plenty of shiny copper-plated zincs in the top of those buckets :p

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Tinpot

Tinpot Well-Known Member

Yea pretty obvious it was a set-up, the old man had been collecting them for years, and this is the first time they seen them sitting around? I bet they have a bridge they are selling too. Then after collecting them all those years he is just going to let them be turned into the bank? :rollling:

4. Tinpot

Tinpot Well-Known Member

How about that 1861 half dollar from the sunken ship, what is that coin worth approximately? (sold for $400 on the show)

5. GreatWalrus

I thought that half dollar went for extremely low. I think I've seen those go for easily over $1000.

6. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

ahh isnt worth it to look for anything from that place... your going to get ripped

7. LOL. When the camera zoomed in, I actually saw a few with the new shield reverse (2010+), which are not copper so that was obviously staged. TC

8. ziggy9

ziggy9 *NEC SPERNO NEC TIMEO*

not to mention that there was no way that the old man lifted those four buckets into the trunk of the car....

9. Revi

Revi Mildly numismatic

At a penny a piece he's losing about half of the value of his pre-82 pennies if he just turns his pennies into fiat.

10. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

Sometime us old men think ahead
    :devil:but melting one dis tasteful idea unless they have road rash or cut in half etc.

11. hontonai

hontonai Registered Contrarian

or -dare I say it - the great know-it-alls don't know it all!

12. Tinpot

Tinpot Well-Known Member

they know, but much of the show is staged. Some of the deals they "make" on the show never really happen, they just get the seller to agree to price on camera but not actually sell the item.

13. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

14. Kip

Kip Member

I'd say 90% of the show is staged. Haven't watched last night's episodes yet, but I'm not surprised.

15. rockyyaknow

rockyyaknow Well-Known Member

A lot of it has to be staged, in my opinion there just can't be that many quality and rare items coming into one pawn shop. All the ones I have been to have the same old junk, a lot of dvd's, video games, used tools and over priced coins.

16. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

About 1/2 the few I watched the last year+ last night all of them look staged.
    *Storage wars + Yup fool has suit against A&E saying 3/4 were staged

17. rockyyaknow

rockyyaknow Well-Known Member

Supposedly Dave Hester said that the bidders did not know what were in the units, but that A&E would place rare or expensive items in the units to create bidding wars.

18. GreatWalrus

19. GreatWalrus

Many shows these days are staged and, if you have half a brain (it's not all rotted away yet), it can be pretty obvious. But they're getting better at nearly completely hiding that some shows are staged. It's pretty disgusting because they're basically tricking people into believing what they're showing is actually what happens in real life ("reality").

Tru TV has some of the most staged shows, ie Hardcore Pawn and South Beach Tow. They're extremely obviously staged. Nearly every encounter with a customer results in arguments/fighting. It makes me want to gag with how bad it is.

The problem is that as long as we keep watching these crappy, staged shows and bumping up the ratings, they'll keep producing them...

20. jjack

jjack Captain Obvious

Most storage auctions go for dirt cheap prices and most often it is just clothes and garbage.

Hardcore Pawn is bit more realistic that Pawn Stars since the people there are what i have ran into in 8 Mile (i have been there) and rarely do you see any rare items show up in the show. But the show was little too much family drama on the show..

21. Revi

Revi Mildly numismatic

I agree, pawn shops are really sad around here. They never seem to have anything worth buying. Without the pawn side of the business I would be surprised if they make any money at all.

Draft saved Draft deleted