Pawn Shops

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by jatallman87, Sep 30, 2012.

1. jatallman87

jatallman87 I am Jay

I like to go to pawn shops sometimes and look at the ridiculous prices that they put on some of their coins. There is a shop down the street from where I work and they have a 1987 silver eagle in there. The asking price is U.S. $80.00. I chuckled and said "That's insane!". The owner told me, "These prices are not silver prices. They are collector prices." To which I replied, "With all due respect sir, I am a collector and would never give eighty dollars for this coin. The most that any collector would pay for this particular coin is around fifty bucks unless silver prices were to significantly increase." He then told me that if I didn't like the price I didn't have to buy it. In a very sarcastic tone. With that I told him that I was interested in a Morgan dollar that he had for sale but his attitude had changed my mind. Thanks for your time, but I will take my business elsewhere.

I don't know why, but I just felt the need to share this.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. thecoin

thecoin New Member

I would share it to

4. cmc86413

cmc86413 Member

Thanks for sharing this. In my limited experience with pawn shops it's really hit-or-miss...

5. thecoin

thecoin New Member

Go to rick Harrison

6. JAS0N888

JAS0N888 Member

i`ve been meaning to stop in a few pawn shops and see whats available.

7. jatallman87

jatallman87 I am Jay

Don't get me wrong. I do find great deals in the pawn shops sometimes. I was really more irritated with the owners attitude and unwillingness to listen to what I had to say, rather than the prices. I will continue to check pawn shops. It never hurts to look.

8. jatallman87

jatallman87 I am Jay

Rick Harrison???

9. thecoin

thecoin New Member

Pawn stars, a legit good priced pawn shop in LV

gspawn.com

10. jatallman87

jatallman87 I am Jay

11. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Wait...what?!?!

12. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

At 12 years old, how many items have YOU taken to the Harrison's shop in Vegas?

How do you know it's legit?

Just because a reality show features a business that buys/sells/trades items of value doesn't make that business legit.

FYI, the items the Harrisons buy on Pawn Stars, are set ups, meaning the show's producers advertise for people with items they might be interested in selling.

13. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

Just so you know, Pawn Shops are the worse place to buy numismatic items.

14. jatallman87

jatallman87 I am Jay

I realize this.

15. jatallman87

jatallman87 I am Jay

Generally the only thing that I buy at pawn shops (As far as coins go) is proof sets and mint sets and that's a rarity. Most of the time the boxes are in too bad of shape.

16. tdogchristy90

tdogchristy90 Dieu et les Dames

There's a place called capital coin a diamond where I live. Has a decent reputation and it split about 50/50 between jewelry and coins. Just as the store name suggests really. I do enjoy it and one of the guys is super nice. However there is another fellow who is so quiet and almost "leave me alone, you're a bother quiet" that it makes me feel uncomfortable. He's never mean just gives off an uncomfortable vibe. I'm to the point where I want to only walk in when it's the other guy working. But all and all it's a decent shop.

17. Atomic Morgan

Atomic Morgan Member

Pawn shops imo are the worst at least in central Texas, There is a pawnshop in Round Rock TX selling common date morgan dollars in rough condition for 69 dollars each. I asked why so high? They replied "thier real silver". Thers no haggling on the price of the coins either its as marked. Funny thing is I know one of the guys there. He told me they pay no more then 10 dollars for morgans and peace dollars. These places suck.

18. The Goldeneye

The Goldeneye Man with the Golden Coin

Yes pawn shops are not the best place to buy or sell coins. They buy them for cheap and they charge a lot for them.:rollling:

19. buddy16cat

buddy16cat Well-Known Member

I noticed on the Pawn Stars website they sell the same bag of coins available at QVC. It is a bag of wheats you can find roll searching with a few dollar coins thrown in for $40.

20. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

So you respond with "that's insane" and expect a positive reaction?

Please understand that I am not trying to defend this guy, but it seems that you were bothered by his supposed attitude even though your own attitude was nothing to be proud of. You tell him to his face that his asking price is "insane", but take offense to being told that if you do not like the price, you didn't have to buy it? I cannot help but wonder had you approached this differently, if his reaction would have been more accommodating. When you put someone on the defensive, don't expect them to always react in a positive manner.

A suggestions for next time....

"The price is a little to high for me, sir, but would you consider an offer of......"

21. Doug21

Doug21 Coin Hoarder

I agree most are crooks.

They are horrible with tools. You can buy something ( like a skilsaw) new at Homedepot for less than they want for a used one.

These guys have to have people that they sell stuff to in large lots at a good price, so theses buyers can resell them at Swapmeets.

A powertool might be $125 a HD, pawnshop loans $20 it, wants to sell it for $150 out of pawn. This stuff has to pile up because nobody will pay more than new prices for used stuff...and they aren't very flexible. They must wholesale said item out for $40 or so to a guy that can sell it for like $65-75.

Nobody buys common silver dollars for $69 at a pawnshop, IMO ! Some sucker might sell one for $10, but I can't them selling for twice their value. When the ripoff pawnshop wants to sell because they have too many....it goes to a place like Apmex.

Draft saved Draft deleted