Pawn shop pick-ups...

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by jtlee321, Oct 20, 2016.

1. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

There is a pawn shop that I like to visit because sometimes they have coins. They have been dry for the last several months. Well I just checked back and they had a bunch in.

They had a common set of CC GSA Morgan's that I picked up for $150.00 each
    1882-CC-Morgan-Dollar-GSA-Obverse.jpg 1882-CC-Morgan-Dollar-GSA-Reverse.jpg 1882-CC-GSA-Packaging.jpg 1883-CC-Morgan-Dollar-GSA-Obverse.jpg 1883-CC-Morgan-Dollar-GSA-Reverse.jpg 1883-CC-GSA-Packaging.jpg 1884-CC-Morgan-Dollar-GSA-Obverse.jpg 1884-CC-Morgan-Dollar-GSA-Reverse.jpg 1884-CC-GSA-Packaging.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jtlee321

I found this 1964-D Kennedy Half Dollar TDO FS-103 for $8.00
    1964-D-Kennedy-Half-Dollar-Obverse.jpg 1964-D-Kennedy-Half-Dollar-Reverse.jpg

And my best buy was this 1932-S Washington Quarter that was in a box of junk quarters for $3.50 each.
    1932-S-Washington-Quarter-Obverse.jpg 1932-S-Washington-Quarter-Reverse.jpg

4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

The pessimist in me makes me wonder about the mintmark of the '32-S. Scammers have been known to glue the "S" in place. Have you checked it under high magnification?

Nice score!

Chris

Paddy54 likes this.
  5. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Yeah Chris it does look suspect to me also.

6. Mad Stax

Mad Stax Well-Known Member

At 3.50 it's definitely worth the risk. Nice finds!

7. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

I wish there were some pawn shops near me that had any coins at all...

Keep posting this stuff. It's great!

8. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

Nice pick-ups. I'm no expert on mint marks but it is often said on the key date quarters, "If it looks bad it's probably good." The MM's usually have dark toning around them.

9. Ike Skywalker

Ike Skywalker Well-Known Member

I think $150 for the CC Morgans was a pretty good deal. The Kennedy is cool too. Now go find a 1971-S FS-103 or 801 Eisenhower dollar. I'm your buyer.

10. David Setree Rare Coins

David Setree Rare Coins Well-Known Member

A great deal all around! I would buy those GSA's @$150 all day long.

The '32 quarter is highly suspect though but I would have taken a shot at it too.

Nice hunting!

11. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Congratulations! Nice finds! I would have bought them all at those prices, too!

12. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

Yes, well played on all.

13. jtlee321

Yeah, I know the '32-S can be found as a '32-P with an added mint mark. As soon as I got home, I looked at it under magnification and I can see the tell tale impression surrounding it that tells me it's legit. I also compared the MM shape and placement to several on PCGS Coin facts and it matches several examples on there. PCGS CoinFacts can be a great resource for verifying questionable coins like this.

The funny thing is just over a year ago, I found a 1932-S Washington Quarter in a junk box at a bullion shop kitty corner from the pawn shop that this one turned up at. The one I picked up last year came back from ANACS just last week graded VF-25 Cleaned, but authentic. I'm pretty confident in this one. :)

Danjohnson and Paul M. like this.
  14. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Winning.

C-B-D likes this.
  15. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

16. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

17. jtlee321

charlie-sheen-winning.jpg

Paul M. likes this.
  18. mac266

mac266 Well-Known Member

Eeek. I never have any luck at pawn shops. Around here, they all want way too much for junk.

19. jtlee321

Yeah, it can be hit and miss. A lot of times some stuff is way overpriced and others it's like "what are you thinking"?

20. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Here's my favorite kinda Pawn Shop :D

Whipps, jester3681 and jtlee321 like this.
  21. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Pawn shops most of the time are high priced. but if you can buy multiple items the price becomes fair. I like to let them sit in the case for a month or more. Then the pawn shop is more likely to deal at a fair price.

Draft saved Draft deleted