Parthicus presents: Top 10 of 2017

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Parthicus, Dec 1, 2017.

1. Parthicus

Parthicus Well-Known Member

It's that time again for year-end Top 10 lists, so here are my top 10 favorite coins that I acquired this year. I had a good year collecting, and could easily come up with another 10 favorites. They are in no particular order, except that #1 really is my favorite of the year.

1. Parthian Kingdom, Artabanos the Somethingth (10-38 AD), AR tetradrachm. I've been trying to get a good example of this type for years now, and finally I was lucky enough to snag this in an Agora auction. This facing bust type is one of my favorites in the whole Parthian series:
    Artabanos II tet.jpg
    2. Phoenicia, Arados, AR stater, c. 350-332 BC. A nice, heavy chunk of silver with a very three-dimensional design.
    Arados stater.jpg
    3. Phoenicia, Tyre, AR didrachm c. 350-332 BC. Another nice chunk of Phoenician silver that manages to get the whole design on a small and irregular flan.
    Tyre didrachm.jpg
    4. Parthian Kingdom, Orodes II (57-38 BC), AE tetrachalkoi. Unusually high grade for Parthian bronze, and an attractive reverse design.
    Orodes II stag.jpg
    5. Sasanian Empire, AR obol, Shapur II (309-379 AD). A well-executed design on a tiny flan makes this coin a sure winner.
    Shahpur II obol.jpg
    6. Roman Republic, Octavian as Triumvir (36 BC), AR denarius. A very historical coin, with an interesting reverse type. Dig that crazy spiral on the lituus! Almost hypnotic...
    Octavian priest.jpg
    7. Roman Empire, Vespasian (69-79 AD), AR denarius. I like the family portrait of Vespasian with his two sons, and I got this specimen pretty cheaply, which is always a nice bonus.
    Vespasian and sons.jpg
    8. Achaemenid Persia, c. 375-340 BC, AR siglos. Fairly decent example of this popular type, made better by the bankers' marks.
    Achaemenid punchmarked.jpg
    9. Roman Empire, Faustina Junior (d.175 AD), AR denarius. The reverse type of Faustina-as-Fecunditas with four babies is simultaneously Imperial dynastic propaganda, and a heartwarming behind-the-scenes glimpse of the ordinary humans who ruled the world.
    Faustina Junior Fecunditas.jpg
    10. Crusader States, Antioch, Bohemond III (1163-1201 AD), AR denier. This is a contemporary issue by an actual Crusader, and shows a knight in helmet and full chain mail armor. If that doesn't excite you at least a little bit, you obviously don't care about either history or coins, and should probably consider another hobby.
    Bohemund III.jpg
    Hope you enjoyed my Top 10. Which of these is your favorite?

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

Naturally I love the Bohemond (I still need a coinkf that type...), but I quite like the Phoenician didrachm as well...

4. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

#1 & #5. #4 is close - in my limited experience of Parthian bronze, I have only seen coins a tenth as good as that one.

If you call him "Artabanos the Somethingth" we all get to right? An elegant solution to the problem I'd say!

5. Youngcoin

Youngcoin Everything Collector

I love that vespasian! Great list!

Thanks,
    Jacob

6. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

Vespasian and kids is awesome, both Phoenicians are awesome, and that facing Parthian tet is even aweosmer!

7. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

That facing bust tet is great! I bought my first Parthian tet, a very modest and common Vardanes II, a few months ago and would be happy to score a facing bust type some day. I really like #2 as well.

8. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Great coins Parthicus, esp. #10 from Crusader States! I am really getting interested in these coins. Fascinating history. Thanks for sharing.

9. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

All great silver, my favorite would be the Arados galley.

10. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

@Parthicus , your #1 is also my #1 from that list. With your username, the top has to be Parthian and facing busts are special. Very nice!

11. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Wonderful coins. I especially like the Artabanos and the Octavian.

12. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I am happy to see someone else who appreciates coins that are a bit worn but still interesting. That said, I have to like that deer on #4 and certainly #1. I don't have a deer so I'll show an AE17 horse with facing portrait of some Phraates or Darius or someone as the latest theories allow. Sellwood 35.15 (Darius), Shore 167 (Phraates III) There is something special about facers.
    op0130bb0864.jpg

13. DBDc80

DBDc80 Numismatist

Numbers 1, 2, 4, and 5 are the winners for me. 2 and 5 have a lot going on in such a small space. Number 4 is a really sharp bronze with great detail and color. (My first should be here by monday). And 1, well, its an awesome and detailed facing parthian. Im just begining my parthian collection, but i dont recall in my looking at parthians seeing too many coins with the king on horseback, a nice departure from the normal seated scenes on the tet reverses.

14. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

Great collection!
    #2 is my favorite, I like the way the features on both the obverse and reverse just fit on the flan. Rotate the flan and lots of stuff is missing.

15. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

A very neat selection!

16. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I do not know ancients yet. I like #1 for it's head that has me wondering who this person was.... and #10 for the cross. I do not know the history behind them. For me it is an aesthetic beauty to me personally. thank you for sharing your top 10 ancients. someday in the far future I will get into ancients. your #10 coin has really got my interest.:):cool::cat:

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
  17. Parthicus

Parthicus Well-Known Member

Thanks for the comments everyone, I enjoy hearing all your different perspectives.

Yes, please feel free to start referring to the renumbered Parthian kings as "X the Somethingth"! It started as a personal joke, because I get tired of having to write "Artabanos II in Sellwood and Shore, but since renumbered as Artabanos III or IV".

Here's my original post on the Bohemund coin:
    https://www.cointalk.com/threads/bohemund-a-knight-in-shining-armor.305120/

And my post on the Artabanos:
    https://www.cointalk.com/threads/my-latest-parthian-beauty.297735/

Severus Alexander likes this.
  18. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

#7 got my vote !
    Nice goup of coins alltogether

Q

19. Agricantus

Agricantus Allium aflatunense

#1 is my favorite.
    • Ardavan, interesting king and reign - check
    • Front facing - check
    • Good detail (look at those eyes) - check
    • Not something you see in every auction - check

20. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

I'm a big collector of Antonine women on coins, so the Faustina Jr Fecunditas denarius is my favorite.

21. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

@Parthicus I like 'em ALL. MY types of coins... gently worn, some bankers marks, historical significance... NICE job!

Draft saved Draft deleted