Parthian Tiara Type Tets

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Bob L., Jan 28, 2017.

1. Bob L.

Bob L. Well-Known Member

Within my Parthian collection I have a growing subset of Parthian tiara-type tetradrachms. I’ve posted these at Coin Community Family, and figured I’d share them here too.

I know there is a certain type of ancients collector who appreciates nuanced differences within sets of very similar looking coins. Apparently I must be of that ilk.

The coins below range from late 1st century through mid-2nd century AD. The standardized form for the type is readily apparent: obverses with bearded king’s bust left, wearing a decorated Parthian tiara, monogram in the right field. Reverses were also standardized: king enthroned left, receiving the royal diadem from Tyche, with legend around. Years, designated in Greek letters and based on the Seleucid Era, were engraved above the reverse diadem, and months were in exergue. Given the tight flans that were typical for these coins, months are often partially or completely cut off. Here’s a typical reverse of one of my coins from this subset:

Example Volo tet rev.jpg

I know that many collectors would look at a grouping like the one below and wonder: why bother? Seen one, seen them all. And, believe me, I’ve wondered that myself! But, upon reflection, I think the reason these appeal to me – and that I continue to hunt for them – is that, for me, these are perhaps the quintessential Parthian types...when I think of the term “Parthian coin” this is what comes to mind before any other types – even before some of the common drachm types.

It probably seems redundant to collect so many of these when the variations – mint monograms and years and such – are so subtle. What can I say? It doesn’t make much sense, but I enjoy them – even when they’re in rough shape, and despite the fact that they look so similar to one another.

I’m opting to just show obverses below…there is enough redundancy here without also including the reverses.

The top two, starting below, are Vologases II (based on Sellwood, that is; the Sylloge Nummorum Parthicorum reattributes these Volo I), the left one struck in December 78 AD, the right one a bit earlier in 77 AD. In the second row the upper left coin is Pakoros II, 78 – 105 AD. All of the remaining ones after that are Vologases III, 105 – 147 AD. I’m very happy to be able to say that eight of the Volo III’s used to be owned by David Sellwood. That makes them especially important to me. Thanks for looking!

1 Set_Pak_Vol IIs_sm.jpg
    1 Set_Pak_Vol II_Vol IIIs_sm.jpg
    2 Set_Volo IIIs_sm.jpg 3 Set Volo IIIs_sm.jpg 4 Set Volo IIIs_sm.jpg

Pellinore, zumbly, Ajax and 12 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

I can completely understand collecting by varieties. These all look like very nice coins.

Severus Alexander likes this.
  4. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

i only have 1 tet and the tiara "bling" is barely on flan....

100_9417_zps1tdxrfnm.jpg
    Volgases IV, Tetradrachm. 147-191 AD

O: Diademed bust left, wearing tiara; B behind / Greek legend, Vologases seated left on throne, Tyche standing right before him, presenting a diadem and holding sceptre; year (Seleucid 464, 152 AD), month below (November),Seleucia on the Tigris mint, 26 mm, 13.6 g. Sellwood 84.12-5; Shore 427.

5. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I never thought about the obverse styles of Vologases IV. It is interesting how the top of the head overlaps the dotted circle so a coin has to be a bit off centered to show the top. Mine was selected to show the month date which is another feature off flan on so many coins. Does your omission of Vologases IV mean you do not consider those tiaras?
    op0310bb0710.jpg

chrsmat71, Ajax, Johndakerftw and 4 others like this.
  6. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

Beautiful coins! The varieties are interesting. I can clearly see the differences the way that you have displayed them. If I were to look at them individually however I would not be able to distinguish one from another. The fact that you are able to do that is admirable. In my early days of ancients collecting, I collected multiples of the same coin—the Jannaeus prutah—so that I could use them as gifts for members of my church. I never really studied the differences between them the way you have your Parthians. Seeing your post has inspired me to look more closely at the variations. You have the ability to tell one of your coins from another the same way that the parent of identical twins can immediately distinguish one from the other.

Bob L. likes this.
  7. Bob L.

Bob L. Well-Known Member

Thanks, all, for the comments

Only omitted them here, as part of the particular subset above, because the tiaras of Volo IV and VI include an ear flap. That, in combination with their long, squared-off beards, relegates them to a somewhat different formula - and different subset, imo. Here are some of mine, the first two Volo IV, the last Volo VI:

v iv ct1.jpg
    v iv ct2.jpg
    v vi ct1.jpg

Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
  8. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

A very nice group. I feel the same way about falling horseman.

Pellinore likes this.
  9. Parthicus

Parthicus Well-Known Member

@Bob L. : Very nice group of Parthian tets in the OP! Of course, if anyone on this site would enjoy a large group of very similar Parthian coins, it would be me... My main criterion for considering Parthian tets has always been whether the month is readable (which can be tough to find, as you mentioned), so I never tried arranging them by tiara variations. Anyway, thanks for sharing.

10. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Very nice group, Bob. I don't even own 1 of these Parthians, but would like too in time.

11. Bob L.

Bob L. Well-Known Member

Thank you all for the comments...much appreciated.

Draft saved Draft deleted