Parthian tetradrachm of Phraates IV (or maybe his enemy Tiridates)

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Parthicus, Jun 5, 2021.

1. Parthicus

Parthicus Well-Known Member

Phraates IV tetradrachm.jpg
    Parthian Kingdom, Seleukia-on-the-Tigris mint. AR tetradrachm (27 mm, 10.36 g). Dated Daisios 285 Seleucid Era (May, 27 BC). Attribution to specific king disputed (see below). Obverse: Diademed bust of king left. Reverse: King enthroned facing left, holding scepter, Nike crowning king with diadem, standard Greek legend around, year date under throne, month Daisios in exergue. Sellwood 55.5-6, Shore 308, Sunrise 398. This coin: Stephen Album Auction 39, lot 2001 (January 21-25, 2021).

Phraates IV (reigned 38-2 BC) was a son of the king Orodes II (57-38 BC). Orodes' preferred heir was Pakoros, but unfortunately Pakoros was killed in battle in 38 BC, forcing the distraught Orodes to choose another heir. Phraates, however, would prove a poor choice, promptly murdering his father and his surviving brothers (to prevent any other claimants to the throne) and exiling various of their supporters. In 36 BC, the Roman triumvir Marc Antony led his troops through Armenia and into the Parthian client state of Media Atropatene, but Phraates attacked Antony's rear and forced him to retreat through Armenia and into Syria, suffering heavy losses along the way. Antony returned in 34 BC, and captured the king of Armenia by treachery, but he was forced to withdraw in 33 BC to deal with Octavian. Not long after this, a Parthian nobleman named Tiridates attempted to usurp the throne and had some success, but was ultimately forced to flee to the Romans (carrying as hostage a son of Phraates). In 20 BC, a peace conference with the Romans resulted in the return of the son, as well as the gift of a Roman slave-girl called Musa who quickly became the favorite courtesan, and then wife, of Phraates. She bore a son who was known as Phraatakes (Little Phraates). In 2 BC, Phraatakes and Musa conspired to kill Phraates and seize the throne, after which... well, I've already written about that story, if you want to know more:
    https://www.cointalk.com/threads/if...-dont-you-just-marry-her.350979/#post-3911792

This tetradrachm was sold as "Phraates IV", ND (no date), attributed as "Sell-7467". While the Phraates IV might be correct, the "no date" is wrong (the coin bears both year and month dates distinctly), and the Sellwood reference is clearly wrong (there is no 74.67, and such a number would belong to Artabanos V c.80-85 AD). The coin is in fact Sellwood 55.5-6 (the difference between 55.5 and 55.6 is one letter, which is not clear on my example). Both Sellwood and Shore attribute this type to the usurper Tiridates. Assar discusses the type thusly: "However, even though the royal bust on the obverse resembles Phraates, because the forehead wart [an inherited condition, showing royal bloodline continuity], an invariable feature of Phraates' coinage, is conspicuously absent on the known pieces in this group, their attribution to Phraates would be problematic. Perhaps the latter's turbulent reign was interrupted at different times by different contenders for the throne about whom history records nothing." So, the coin may be of Tiridates, or some other unknown usurper, or possibly a weird, wartless variant of Phraates IV. If only the Parthian kings had been in the habit of using their personal names on the coinage! Please share your coins of Phraates IV, or Tiridates, or whatever else is related.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

An easy era for Roman collectors to get into because of the dense historical connections. Here's a Phraates IV with a clear wart:

Screen Shot 2021-06-05 at 2.43.39 PM.jpg
    PARTHIA: Phraates IV (38-2 BCE) AR Tetradrachm, issued April 24 BCE. Seleucia on Tigris, 13.04g, 28mm.
    Obv: Short flat-tipped bearded bust left wearing diadem and griffin-ended torque; a wart visible on forehead; circular border of pellets
    Rev: ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΝ ΑΡΣΑΚΟΥ ΕΥΕΡΓΕΤΟΥ ΔΙΚΑΙΟΥ ΕΠΙΦΑΝΟΥΣ ΦΙΛΕΛΛΗΝΟΣ; male wearing diadem seated right on throne; to his right, Tyche stands left presenting palm branch in right hand, holding cornucopia in left; below throne, Greek letters ΗΠΣ (year 288 of the Seleukid era) and pellet; in ex., Greek letters ΑΡΤΕ (month = ΑΡΤΕΜΙΣΙΟΥ, April)
    Sellwood 51.32var (pellet under throne)

The date under the throne is visible (ΗΠΣ), and, I think, just enough of the month at the bottom (APTE) to identify it as Sellwood 51.32var (pellet under throne), going by parthia.com. (I am temporary custodian of this coin, which belongs to @Nvb.)

I think it's very cool that the date of issue for these can sometimes be narrowed down to a specific month!

Spaniard, Sulla80, Curtisimo and 5 others like this.
  4. Alwin

Alwin Well-Known Member

Congratulations Parthicus for this rare variant!
    There are in fact 5 possibilities with the type which carries ΔAIΣI at the exergue.
    - ΔAIΣI only (S.55. -)
    - Γ ΔAIΣI (S.55.5) = ΓOPΠIAIOY
    - Π ΔAIΣI (S.55.6) = ΠANHMOY
    - O ΔAIΣI (S.55. -) = OΛΩOY
    - Y ΔAIΣI (S.55. -) = YΠEPBEPETAIOY
    From what I can see, the letter on your coin is Y.
    Another specimen here: "Les tétradrachmes d'Orodès II et de Phraates IV", Fr. de Callataÿ, Pages 72/73, D55-R2 - Planche VI, 150.

In my humble opinion there is not the slightest chance that this series could belong to Tiridates. I try to explain it here:
    http://www.parthika.fr/Tiridates.html#haut

5. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

My only one.

[​IMG]
    Phraates IV (38 - 2 B.C.)
    AR Tetradrachm
    O: Diademed and draped bust left, wart on forehead, wearing pointed beard and torque with no end visible; all within pelleted border.
    R: BACILE[WS] BACILEWN ARSAKO U EUERGETOU DIKAIOU EPIFANOUS FILELLHN[OS], Phraates seated right on throne, Tyche standing left before him, presenting a palm and holding cornucopiae; year between throne legs, [month in exergue]
    Seleukeia on the Tigris mint.
    30mm
    15g
    Sellwood 51

Spaniard, Sulla80, Curtisimo and 4 others like this.
  6. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

My Tiridates has become a Mithradates with Assar/Sunshine.
    upload_2022-1-20_21-19-21.png
    Kings of Parthia, Mithradates, Usurper in Mesopotamia, circa 15-10 BC, BI Tetradrachm, Seleukeia on the Tigris mint (center of modern day Iraq), dated Artemisios (April)
    Obv:
    Diademed bust left
    Rev: ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ/ ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΝ/ ΑΡΣΑΚΟY/ EYEPΓETY/ ΔΙΚΑΙΟY/ ΕΠΙΦΑΝΟYΣ/ ΦΙΛΕΛΛΗΝΟΣ/ ΑΡΤΕMI, Mithradates seated right, receiving palm frond from Tyche standing left, holding cornucopia; above, monogram above pellet; V/A below throne; A between Mithradates' feet
    Ref:
    Sellwood 55.11; Shore 311 (Tiridates)

Johndakerftw, Parthicus and Spaniard like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted