Parthian post of shame and where's Kairos gone?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ryro, Aug 24, 2019.

1. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Rather than hijack a perfectly interesting thread, I figured I'd share my shame in its own thread.
    I'd shared my Orodes I (though apparently it's more likely Mithradates III) coin several times here when last night in a thread on the subject @Valentinian was kind enough to point out that my coin showed signs of being a cast modern forgery:jawdrop: some clear signs that I'd missed:facepalm::depressed: (though pretty new to ancients when I purchased it)
    I very much trusting his opinion rushed over to forum to see if they had any similar fakes... They did:sorry:

My coin:
    7789A425-AC14-4DEE-B269-7A5D98FD3BA6.png
    Their coin:
    0B616CF9-63A3-4C12-9315-96456B69FCF3.png

You can see that they have applied some grime on mine to cover some of the casting bubbles and make it seem more aged. And mine has that weird hole. But there it is. I was swindled. As for the coin, to the back of the book with the others fakes with you!
    I share not cause I'm a masochist (it's actually considerably humbling:oops: and frustrating:punch:) but in hopes that others will avoid mistakes I've made.

Anyway, even though I bought this in April of 2018 I thought it would be worth reaching out to the auction house I purchased it from, Kairos numismatik, to see if they would be willing to refund the small 18 euros I paid and the email came back saying "Address not found". And a search online shows they haven't sold since 2018? Does anyone know if Kairos went under?

Socrates: the more I learn the less I realize I know

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pellinore

Pellinore Well-Known Member

Kairos is/ was on Biddr, you could ask there.

Ryro likes this.
  4. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

@Ryro ... Dude, no shame. Frustrating situation, understood.

I feel your pain. It is hard. Lost a few cool coins to the black hole of fakes, myself. I just swallowed the nasty feeling, tried to recoup my losses, and moved on. I used the experience to LEARN, and focus on my skills in Ancients.

You have a great collection. YOU are not at fault for folks swindling you or others. In fact THEY have the bad Karma... not you.

I really enjoy your collection and your postings. Hold your Head high. You have some great stuff.

Best,
    Brian

Pellinore, Whattahek and Ryro like this.
  5. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..uh...i thought I came up with that...:lock:

Alegandron and Ryro like this.
  6. Parthicus

Parthicus Well-Known Member

We've all been fooled at some point. This coin fooled me early in my Parthian-collecting phase. There are multiple signs of casting, but even worse, the obverse and reverse don't even belong together, they are from coins struck over 100 years apart:
    Parthian fake.jpg

7. Bob L.

Bob L. Well-Known Member

Sorry about the bum coin, Ryro. That fake report you cited was actually my own indirect submission at Forum. At the time I was experiencing some technical issues with uploading to the reports, and so Steve – uh, Museumguy, that is – uploaded it (and several others) on my behalf.

Here’s a Parthian that made it past my goal-keeping. This Sellwood 80.1 was in my collection for perhaps a decade before I realized it was a match to a struck fake documented in the Bulletin on Counterfeits, Vol. 19, # 2 from 1994/5. Happily the auction house (a noted one) gave me a full refund even after all that time had elapsed.

Osroes I drachm_Sellwood 80.1.jpg

8. J.T. Parker

J.T. Parker Well-Known Member

Hello, one & all,
    I'm new to the group but fell victim early on when I had enough spare change to begin a small Ancients collection. After being burned by one of the prevalent 'Eastern European' forgery groups, I began buying coins only w/ the understanding that I would need enough 'return time' to have Dr. Davis Sear CLA them.
    Yes, It was not cheap & a bit of a hassle, but for me the piece of mind knowing that
    (Most likely) I had not been 'snookered' was well worth the time & effort.
    Just my 2 Drachmas worth,
    J.T.

9. Ryro

First off: Welcome to CT JT!!! Any questions, please ask. But you'll find most everyone around here is happy to help.
    Haha, 2 drachms worth. Nice.
    Good point. Sear really is THE MAN when it comes to verifying coins. Plus, your coins value goes up with his approval.
    And lastly, AMAZING Avatar coin:woot:! Is it yours? If so, I hope you do a thread on it. I'd love to see and know more about that coin.:artist::cigar: (Sadly, my Avatar, The Narmer pallet, is not mine)

10. J.T. Parker

Thanks Ryro!
    For my 1st 'Like' & it's always nice to get one.
    J.T.

Ed Snible and Ryro like this.
  11. Bob L.

Bob L. Well-Known Member

Seconded! Welcome.

Ryro likes this.
  12. Victor_Clark

Victor_Clark all my best friends are dead Romans Dealer

welcome aboard...I think you mean David Sear though; and despite his credentials, sans Dr. also.

13. J.T. Parker

Mea Culpa, David Sear,
    That's what 74 years will do to a few of us..LOL!
    I stopped collecting Ancients about 8 years ago because of the influx of forgeries
    & the hassle of mailing the coin out to the West coast for David's authentication.
    Please allow me to THANK all of you kind members who 'liked' my rambling addition to your group's fine forum.
    Sincerely,
    Hoc est, quid sit! (It is, what it is!)

HG²

Ryro and Victor_Clark like this.
  14. J.T. Parker

Hello Ryro,
    Unfortunately, I sold that piece when I stopped collecting Ancients...of coarse now I wish I hadn't. (Isn't that always how it goes?) If you like to see the reverse I believe I could provide you w/ that pic, It was a lovely example of that early Mysian, Kyzikos coinage. Ca. 390-340 BCE
    Kindly advise,
    J.T.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
    Ryro likes this.
  15. J.T. Parker

I really do not want to create a thread for a coin purchased & authenticated in 2005,
    then like a ninny, sold it in 2024....Too painful..Ha!
    I am pleased provide the group w/ a shot of the 'reverse'? of this piece. Image in the device is of Kore 'Persephone' w/ sotera barely noticeable above her head in the field. Looking at the coins from this area of Turkey offered on eBay presently, it's easy to understand why I had no problem selling this piece. Hope some of you find this of interest.
    sotera1..jpg

Alegandron, Parthicus and Ryro like this.
  16. J.T. Parker

Sorry, should be a better Proof-Reader...."Sold in 2024, should have been '2014'
    GEEEEEZ! already going all 'Matrix/Terminator' on the group.
    J.T.

Volodya, Alegandron and Ryro like this.
  17. Ryro

Haha. I knew what you ment, cause, "I'm from da futa."

[​IMG]

Did you keep any of your coins??? or just getting back in the groove?

J.T. Parker and Alegandron like this.
  18. J.T. Parker

EXCELLENT Post, Alegandron...Cracked me up and I, unfortunately, am not easily amused. (Something I can work on in the future.)
    To answer your question, if "I'm keeping any of my Ancient coins?", the answer is YES.
    I still have a small collection of ancients and only had to sell the several, due to both hurricane repair and sewer-line replacement from the property to the street. Sorry, if this is TMI, but I live in a house (literally) built by my father in 1949.
    Out of those remaining: 2 of my favorite 'keepers' were a beautiful (Sear-graded) VF
    stater of Poseidonia (Paestum) 470-445 BCE. & an uncommonly EF (Sear) Alexanderian Tet. from the short-lived Myriandrus (Ancient Phoenician, Now Turkey) mint 325-323 BCE. If someone Posts a Discussion for examples of favorite ancients from their collection, I'll post pics..You betcha'
    J.T.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
    Ryro and Alegandron like this.
  19. Ryro

In the words of someone who called me out early to join the fun, pics or it didn't happen!:snaphappy:

Alegandron likes this.
  20. J.T. Parker

Ask & ye shall receive!......eventually!
    J.T.

Ryro likes this.
  21. J.T. Parker

As promised: Myriandrus Alexander Tet. & Poseidonian (Paestum) stater
    Still residing in my collection,
    J.T.

Attached Files:

Parthicus, Alegandron and Ryro like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted