Featured Parthian horsemen: Much rarer than expected

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Parthicus, Dec 12, 2019.

1. Parthicus

Parthicus Well-Known Member

Here's a recent inexpensive coin purchase that led me to a surprising realization about Parthian coinage:
    Artabanos II AE horseman.jpg
    Parthian Kingdom. AE chalkos (12 mm, 1.20 g). Artabanos* (c.10-38 AD). Obverse: Diademed bust left with square beard. Reverse: King on horseback right. Sellwood 63.21, Shore 575. This coin: Pars Coins Auction 3, lot 173 (2019), $30 final bid.

Artabanos* took the Parthian throne about 10 AD, during an unsettled time for the region. Vonones I had spent much of his life in Roman territory and proved too Hellenized/Romanized for the Parthian nobles- he didn't like hunting, feasting, or (the real deal-breaker) horseback-riding. The nobles induced Artabanos to give up his job as king of the Parthian dependency Media Atropatene (Azerbaijan) and fight Vonones for the throne. Vonones was forced to flee back to the Romans, and Artabanos took up the Parthian crown. During a later dispute with the Romans over Armenia, Artabanos was forced from the throne, and spent some time living with the nomadic Dahae east of the Caspian, raising an army there which formed the nucleus of his forces when he reclaimed the throne. He died in 38 AD, after an eventful reign.

I bought this humble, even ugly coin because the reverse type reminded me of another, much more spectacular coin issue by the same king, which I purchased in 2017:
    Artabanos II tet.jpg
    This series of tetradrachms (Sellwood 63.1- 63.5) show a remarkable facing bust portrait of the king, and the reverse depicts the king on horseback, receiving a palm branch from Tyche. The type was struck in each of the 5 months from Artemisios to Gorpiaios 338 SE (=April to August of 27 AD). Perhaps the bronze was struck at the same time?

While researching the coin, I started to realize that there are very few depictions of horse riding on Parthian coins. This seems odd, given that the Parthians were extremely proud of their horsemanship. True, there are plenty of depictions of horses on the bronze coins- full-length horses, horse heads, and even Pegasos. But besides the two Artabanos coins above, I could find only one more depiction of a king riding on horseback, on a chalkos of Phraatakes (2 BC-4 AD):
    pdc_9687.jpg
    (Photo by Chris Hopkins, parthia.com)

The only other Parthian horsemanship examples I could find listed were on some rare tetrachalkoi and octochalkoi of Mithradates I (171 138 BC) which depict the Dioscuri on horseback:
    pdc_11818.jpg
    (Photo from Spink, via parthia.com)
    pdc_21528.jpg

(Photo from CNG, via parthia.com)

And, that is every Parthian coin type that portrays a human (or humanoid deity) on a horse. So, why didn't the Parthians show off their mounted archers or heavy-armored cavalry (cataphracts) more on their coins, when horses show up frequently, and a seated archer is (almost) always on the drachms for the nearly 500 years the Parthians ruled? Unfortunately, I don't have an answer for this seemingly simple question. All I can do right now is point out the relative scarcity of Parthian horsemen on coins, and ask if anyone has any suggestions. Meanwhile, please post any coins you feel are relevant.

*Note: Most older sources call this king Artabanos II. However, Dr. Assar's work has caused this king to be renumbered as Artabanos IV. To be safe, just call him Artie.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Great writeup and a nice addition. I am surprised their reverses weren't more varied like Roman and others.

4. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

WOW, you opened my eyes, way cool on those Horse Coins of Parthia! I would really enjoy finding one of those. Congrats on that collection!

5. Bob L.

Bob L. Well-Known Member

normal_Sellwood_63_2_Artabanos_II_tetradrachm.jpg

Artie
    struck 26-27 AD
    Davey 63.2

6. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

There are Parthian bronzes with horses alone that need love, too. ID's are not updated from when I got them. I need to put some effort into reading Sunrise since that is the only recent work I have updating Sellwood and Shore.

Mithradates II AE21
    op0040bb0944.jpg

Orodes II AE17
    op0105bb0251.jpg

Phraates III AE17
    op0130bb0864.jpg

Vologases I AE11
    op0240bb0833.jpg

7. Alwin

Alwin Well-Known Member

Hello all,
    It is my first post here.
    My mother tongue is French, I read English a bit (but I do not understand a quarter of the tenth of what is said here!) and I cannot write 4 words without Google-Trad, Reverso, and a good dictionary.
    But I can try, if you are sturdy enough to endure my horrible English.

Parthian horseman, king on horseback:
    We can add this one
    [​IMG]
    Pacorus II, tetradrachm S.75.3, British Museum 1891,0603.2

eparch, chrsmat71, Alegandron and 9 others like this.
  8. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Welcome here fellow french man.
    Glad you finally crossed the Rubicon and wrote something in english.
    Which isn't bad at all by the way.

Beautiful coin you posted here my friend
    (for the records I first met Alwin 40 years ago and we are very close friends)

Q

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
    Alegandron and Severus Alexander like this.
  9. thejewk

thejewk Well-Known Member

Great reading, thanks, and interesting coins. Is there a recommended and widely available work covering the history of the Parthians? Seems like it would be worth the time.

10. Alwin

Alwin Well-Known Member

In English: Iran under the Arsakids, 247 BC – AD 224/227. In : Numismatic Art of Persia : The Sunrise Collection, Part I. Classical Numismatic Group, Inc.

thejewk likes this.
  11. thejewk

thejewk Well-Known Member

12. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Bienvenue! Un ami de Cucumbor est un ami de nous autres! (That may well be terrible French, it has been a while...)

13. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Well, that's OK, a bit "old school" but OK :)

Q

Severus Alexander likes this.
  14. Parthicus

Parthicus Well-Known Member

Bienvenue @Alwin! Thank you for your addition, I somehow overlooked that Pacorus II type in my list. And, don't worry, your English is excellent (certainly better than any French I could manage.) I look forward to more posts from you.

15. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Welcome, @Alwin ! And a great coin! Your English is MUCH better than mine. :)

I am American, and I am still trying to learn English. :D

Cucumbor likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted