Parthian fractional silver (the hard way)

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Parthicus, Apr 21, 2019.

1. Parthicus

Parthicus Well-Known Member

As promised, I am starting to post my latest round of auction wins, so I will begin with what I think is the most interesting piece:
    Mithradates I cut.jpg
    Parthian Kingdom. Seleucia-on-the-Tigris mint. AR drachm, cut (1.30 g). Mithradates I (c. 165-132 BC), struck Seleucid Era 173 (=140/139 BC). Obverse: Fine Hellenistic style diademed and bearded bust right. Reverse: Zeus enthroned, holding [spear and] eagle, three line Greek legend [Basilews megalou] Arsakou ([Of the Great King] Arsakes), monogram in front, in exergue date [173]. Sellwood 13.8, Shore 38, Sunrise 264. This coin: Frank S. Robinson Auction 108, lot 92 (April 9, 2019).

Mithradates I (reigned c. 165-132 BC) was one of the most successful Parthian kings, and he vastly increased the size and strength of the empire. He initially fought against the Bactrians under Eukratides I (whose name should be familiar to any fans of Bactrian/Indo-Greek coins), extending the Parthian eastern border all the way to India. He then turned west, defeating the Seleucids to add Media, Atropatene, Elymais, and considerable Mesopotamian territory including the cities of Babylon and Seleucid-on-the-Tigris (the latter city captured in July 141 BC). In 138 BC, Parthian forces even captured the Seleucid emperor Demetrios II alive. That same year, Mithradates suffered a stroke that left him unable to rule, and the affairs of state were handled by a regent (apparently his own brother, Bagayash) until Mithradates died in 132 BC, passing the crown to his very capable son Phraates II.

This coin obverse type (Sellwood 13) was struck at Seleucia-on-the-Tigris in both tetradrachms and drachms; the tetradrachms feature a standing Heracles instead of enthroned Zeus, and adds an extra line of legend Philellenos (loves the Greeks). Earlier coins of Mithradates featured the standard Parthian reverse of seated archer; the use of Zeus and Heracles, and the epithet Philellenos, are probably intended to appeal to the Hellenistic population of the newly conquered cities of Mesopotamia. The coins were issued undated (presumably the first year of 141 BC, and dated SE 173 (140/139 BC) and SE 174 (139-138 BC); all varieties are fairly rare. Here is a complete drachm of the same variety (Sellwood 13.8) as my coin (image borrowed from the VCoins seller Cyrus Coins):
    qP8K5JFyDbb68r3ET2YerPd7Z9Qown.jpg
    And here is a tetradrachm just for comparison (image courtesy Classical Numismatic Group):
    3970238.jpg

Of course, my coin is unusual in that it has been cut apart, presumably in ancient times to make small change. The natural way to cut would be in half, but my coin seems to have less than half the design left, and the weight of 1.30 grams is more like a third of what the full drachm should weigh. I don't know if this was supposed to be a 1/3 drachm (which is a very strange denomination to make), or if the person cutting the coin made a mistake, or if they were trying to cheat by passing off a 1/3 drachm as a full 1/2 drachm. I have seen ancient and medieval cut coins before, from various cultures, but I do not recall ever seeing a cut Parthian coin prior to this specimen. I haven't done a thorough literature search yet, but my research for this post did not find any reference to cut Parthian coins in published collections or the standard works. (I would greatly appreciate if any readers can refer me to any previous published references to cut Parthian coins.) While it is a shame that a beautiful coin was thus defaced, it lends insight into the economic conditions of its time. It also means I could afford this rarity in the Parthian series; my winning bid on my coin was $121, while the complete drachm shown above, even with the date off the flan, was sold for $1200. This is a very interesting coin that merits further research. Please post your coins of Mithradates I, or other ancient coins that were cut in ancient times to make small change.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

An interesting "fraction" and an engaging writeup, @Parthicus. Here's my Sellwood 11.1 of Mithradates I.
    Mithradates_I_Drachm.png
    AR Drachm, Parthian Kingdom, Mithradates I, ca. 171-138 BC
    Mint: Hekatompylos
    Obv: Diademed and draped bust of Mithradates I left
    Rev: Archer seated right on omphalos, holding bow
    Size: 3.92g, 19.2mm
    Ref: Sellwood 11.1; Shore 24
    Note: Hecatompylos, or Ἑκατόμπυλος by about 200 BC it is referenced as the capital of the Arsacid dynasty by Pliny, Strabo, and Ptolemy. The Greek name Hekatompylos means "one hundred gates". Regarding this name, Polybus writes: "The king having traversed the desert came to the city called Hecatompylus, which lies in the centre of Parthia. This city derives its name from the fact that it is the meeting-place of all the roads leading to the surrounding districts"

Parthicus, tenbobbit and Johndakerftw like this.
  4. Bob L.

Bob L. Well-Known Member

I'll spread some examples across denominations.

Mithra I three denom b.jpg
    Top:
    Mithradates I, tetradrachm
    Sellwood 13.2; Shore 35

Center:
    Mithradates I, drachm
    Sellwood 13.6 or 13.10
    Ex-David Sellwood Collection

Bottom:
    Mithradates I, obol
    Sellwood 12.4
    Ex-Pieter Anne van’t Haaff Collection

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
  5. tenbobbit

tenbobbit Well-Known Member

This one is certainly no looker but it is all I have.
    The Reverse is almost gone but there is enough left to identify it in hand.
    @Bob L. was kind enough to confirm it for me.
    Mithradates I, Tetrachalkous ( I think ? )
    Sellwood 12.12
    Mint, Ecbatana
    IMG_5269.JPG IMG_5268.JPG

6. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Super coins and write-ups @Parthicus !

Here is my humble Mithradates I

upload_2019-4-21_11-24-13.png
    Parthia Mithradates III 58-55 BCE AR Drachm 3.9g 20mm Rhagae mint star archer bashlyk throne bow Selwood 41-12

And here is the God he is named after:

upload_2019-4-21_11-25-12.png
    Bithynia Kios 250 BCE AE11 1.06g Laureate hd Mithra r Kantharos 2 grape bunches hanging K-I below within a wreath SNG Cop 382

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
Draft saved Draft deleted