Part 4; Ancient Roman, "Money Chest Cover"

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by AdamsCollection, Jan 2, 2021.

1. AdamsCollection

AdamsCollection Well-Known Member

BEAUTIFUL and Elegant, this piece is true art. I have dated it to the roman empire, alot of nice roman motifs, and its simply beautiful. I have not however been able to find anything like it, or anything similar, I would be very interested in finding a good value for it, and possibly an actual identification and date.

zr0VYKI.jpeg 1ILGkAV.jpeg i6aJFvA.jpeg DydsnyK.jpeg HMIYFUk.jpeg h2LzosN.jpeg oUgES0A.jpeg zr0VYKI.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. otlichnik

otlichnik Well-Known Member

Beautiful item. I am curious abut why you dated it Roman though. The motifs do not appear to be particularly Roman. Roman did use the dot-and-eye decoration but often alone. The scalloping on the edges and the rays are not particularly Roman. While there is a chance it is Roman to me it look more medieval. Balkan or Byzantine as a guess.

SC

4. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

I was thinking byzantine and certainly don't believe it's a "money chest cover" (sounds just like the sort of thing a swindler would tell a tourist).
    Been holding off from commenting on this dump of posts as @AdamsCollection you have taken over the front page with your requests for help knocking others articles off and into the second page where not many look.
    A rule of etiquette 1 to maybe 2 posts in a day otherwise you will get ignored or worse still bad advised.

5. Gilbert

Gilbert Part time collector Supporter

Edit

Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
    capthank likes this.
  6. Archeocultura

Archeocultura Well-Known Member

Does NOT look Roman and some of the holes seem to be made for the use of screws...? If European, it could be Viking or nordic culture thereafter.

Frans

Draft saved Draft deleted