Part 3; Ancient Roman Ring, as I was told. Looking for help on identifying it exactly.

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by AdamsCollection, Jan 2, 2021.

1. AdamsCollection

AdamsCollection Well-Known Member

This ring is stunning, and very old. I just do not buy that it is roman. And Value no clue what its worth. ANY HELP is vastly Appreciated!

uWGuQaL.jpg KAiaqB1.jpg LGguCoW.jpg QPqKeEd.jpg zkb2sEA.jpg OF0KiSU.jpg zESMc9w.jpg

+VGO.DVCKS, Andres2, ominus1 and 2 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

I know nothing about ancient rings except that fakes are extremely common and you have to be very careful to avoid them. I'm not saying that yours is fake, just that I would have no idea one way or the other. And it certainly does not look Roman to me.

Here are links to two websites/forums that discuss the many fake ancient rings on the market, and might be helpful to you in telling fake from real:

http://www.collector-antiquities.com/real-or-fake/fake-rings.html (note at the bottom the link to subsequent pages).

http://ancientartifakes.net/smf/index.php?topic=1227.0

4. otlichnik

otlichnik Well-Known Member

This form (shape) of ring did exist in late Roman times and was also used well after. Stylistically the engraved decoration appears to be post-Roman.

The vast majority of rings sold today in the antiquities trade are not Roman, even those labelled as Roman. Roman rings, while not rare, are not actually super-common. They were famously worn by wealthy and important people but, unlike fibulae (cloak and dress pins) and necklaces, they were not common among the entire population.

Nice gold and silver rings exist. But Roman bronze rings are often much thinner and flimsier than the medieval ones.

SC

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  5. kevin McGonigal

kevin McGonigal Well-Known Member

Pretty much "ditto" on what DonnaML has said above. There is no way for the average collector to distinguish between genuine and fake ancient jewelry. I have a few of these rings of simple design, little more that a few swirls, and they are so simple that they must have been worn by plebeians and peasants rather than Patrician senators and their kind. I like them, however, because of their simplicity and their connection to people of the past and the almost glow of ancient bronze patinated by centuries of waiting to be rediscovered. Now, how do I know they are genuine? I don't, except that I purchased them, all of them from from a recently deceased University professor who had made it his life's work to preserve as much of the world of antiquity as he could. He travelled extensively and somewhere along the line acquired a good eye for authentic material. I am sorry he is no longer with us as I learned to trust his judgement regarding artifacts and coins. Genuine ancient rings are fairly common, the simple ones, anyway, and not expensive. it is possible to find really nice ones in the $30-$40 price range, especially at shows (when they come back) as long as you know the dealer you are buying from. Below are four rings, sized on a candle. Most of the rings seem a bit small on a male hand, unless worn on a pinky finger. One, however fits comfortably on my ring finger. In addition to the rings i have placed a buckle, probably a late Roman or early Byzantine military buckle to show readers how beautiful ancient patinated bronze can look.

IMG_1877Ancient Rings.jpg

6. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..i'm not familiar with the symbols on it...perhaps a later era(byzantine +) fertility ring?...i have bracelet as such...idk...its neat, whatever it is :) articfacts 010.JPG

Draft saved Draft deleted