Parent Company of PCGS (CLCT) to Sell for $700 Million

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Gallienus, Dec 10, 2020.

?

will baseball /football card certifications continue to surpass that of coins?

1. yes

2. no

3. they will be equal

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Gallienus

Gallienus coinsandhistory.com

Who buys the initial cards though? This one was autographed so it apparently was some sort of special release. Do kids come up to Mr. Trout after the game and get him to sign their cards? Or does some business entity give him a box of 1,000 cards to sign which are then released only to investors? If option #2 is the case then this sounds like manufactured rarities.

But aside from cards what I was curious about was the impact of this boom on rare coinage? I've noticed rampant grade inflation on dates of Bust half dollars that I was trying to buy in the ms range. When I go to the Heritage website I don't see coin pictures on their splash page; I see pictures of certified baseball/ football cards. I wanted to know what does this portend for numismatics?

Last edited: Dec 12, 2020
    GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Both except they aren't released to investors, they're randomly put in packs or sold individually. The super special ones are generally in random packs

GoldFinger1969 and Gallienus like this.
  4. Scuba4fun777

Scuba4fun777 Well-Known Member

Going to, or even watching a ball game on TV used to be an escape from politics. Pro sports are dying because this is no longer the case. IMO, actors, athletes and politicians should stick to what they each know best. Just like a biology lab, where cross-contamination usually leads to unintended and undesirable results.

5. John KENT

John KENT Member

My goal is to get kids into collecting. I like coins and stamps that illustrate history, but I am open to other type of collecting. Collecting can be a passion, and develops skills of acquisition. It also becomes investing and knowledge building over time. Most kids I talk to have huge digital collections that involve video game characters and game currency. Some kids have a lot of music and videos collected.

GoldFinger1969 and Gallienus like this.
  6. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

No idea, but Pokemon cards are going through an insane boom right now. I guess people have decided that 2020 was a great year to throw away money. Or maybe savvy business owners/investors who made out like bandits this year just need an outlet for their newfound wealth

Last edited: Dec 12, 2020
  7. Scuba4fun777

It seems like a lot of the big names that were once at PCGS are no longer, however PCGS still seems to be leader over NGC. With the acquisition and privatization of CLCT, along with their apparent focus on cards over coins, I wonder how long that will take to change.

8. baseball21

So PCGS going private is supposed to hurt them yet everyones ignoring the fact that NGC has been private the entire time?

There's no reason to believe that gap will change. They aren't ignoring coins or shifting focus both divisions operate separately and really don't interact. While the President/CEO of CU came from the card side, multiple innovations and changes have happened on the coin side and more have been announced for next year already.

9. Scuba4fun777

I don’t think it has anything to do with the shift in type of ownership (private vs. public), but more to do with the owner(s) focus. Time will tell.
    My favorite series is the Franklin Half. I prefer NGC’s definition of Full Bell Lines (both sets of bell lines must be ‘full’) over PCGS’s, which only looks at the lower set to determine the FBL status. However PCGS coins of equal grade seem to command a premium.

10. baseball21

I doubt they’re going to be very hands on. Successful investors don’t buy something successful to completely change it. Even if their focus was more cards PCGS has a very capable team running it already and doesn’t need to be micromanaged so it wouldn’t really change anything.

Given that Cohen owns the Mets I wouldn’t be surprised to see some exclusive Mets stuff like official labels or something like that. Is PCGS was bleeding money then yea there’d be more of a concern, us they’re profitable

11. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

On any given day sports are upon us through Media, TV, newspapers, radio. Coin and currency collection seems to be hobby oriented not to be seen as every day news, out of sight out of mind, if you will. That is the way I see it, in my opinion.

12. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

CLCT may spin out the coin division.....it's best hope would be to become a steady dividend payer. There's a paucity of small-cap/micro-cap stocks that pay dividends.

Since the coin side is slower-growing but presumably less cyclical, then it would make a good chief asset to be housed within a dividend-yield investment vehicle. And with rates so low, you wouldn't need to pay out something too high or reckless. Maybe 4-6% or so.

13. GoldFinger1969

Did you ever read that famous thread over at CU about the Franklin FBL upgrades ?

14. GoldFinger1969

If Cohen is putting in $350 MM, then CLCT is 3% of his net worth ex-Mets.

He has more $$$ at stake in Point72 Asset Management and his Family Office...and more enjoyment (hopefully ! :D) with the Mets.

I expect he's going to be very hands-off with CLCT and leave it to the guys with industry knowledge.

15. GoldFinger1969

The card companies learned....they're restricting supply and creating artificial demand like with big IPO pops on Day 1 of trading. 30 years ago, they just kept increasing the supply of cards, all cards.

We'll see how long it lasts.

16. baseball21

That's my impression as well. I doubt he approved the sale thinking he wants to run it or have any major impact on the product. There's significant year to year money just getting all of the dividend and still holding an asset you could later put back on the stock market

It's not really any different than anything else such as cars that have like 5-10 or a lottery expect if you miss out you at least still have the cards that weren't. It's certainly an easy way to boost sales and get people excited and in no way unique to them.

17. Scuba4fun777

No, I haven’t. Do you have a link?
    I suppose I could just go there & look myself, but for others that may be curious and too lazy.

18. GoldFinger1969

Google it, I also posted it here somewhere. If you can't find it, let me know. I think it's in a "Gradeflation" thread here at CT or something like that.

19. serdogthehound

serdogthehound Well-Known Member

It is a 1 of 1 special ed that was inserted into packs at random the do for alot of players. The company also will insert autographed cards that are not super factors, but ya Sports cards are crazy right now. For example Heritage had another card (Wayne Gretzky Rookie PSA 10) hit 1.2 million last night.

https://sports.ha.com/itm/hockey/19...0031-58423.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

JCKTJK and GoldFinger1969 like this.
  20. TONYBRONX

TONYBRONX Well-Known Member

Is it time to get out old stored sport cards? Who is giving the best values other than pcgs? I have not been at it for over 10 --12 years!

Draft saved Draft deleted