Parameters for your collection

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by AncientJoe, Jan 23, 2019.

1. AncientJoe

AncientJoe Well-Known Member

With the recent threads about your personal preferences in coin selection, I thought it might be interesting to ask the forum what (if any) plans/parameters everyone has for their collections. Some of these have been discussed in the later pages of various old threads but it would be useful to have everything in one place.

In US coins, a complete typeset is roughly 137 coins, depending on how you count it. In ancients, a typeset from Greece to Rome could be anywhere from a few thousand to several hundred thousand different coins with many types only being available in museums or represented by unique examples.

So, everyone's collection is ultimately down to personal preference.

A recent trend in US coins has been more minimalist, focusing on a "Box of 20" where you limit your collection to only 20 coins. This would be excruciating for ancient collectors but it fits with a popular trend, especially those who may have watched the recently released "Marie Kondo: Art of Tidying" on Netflix (and in book form), promoting a minimalist lifestyle.

I'd pose this as a poll but the software isn't quite flexible enough for multiple questions:

- What metrics do you choose to add coins?

- Do you have a rough size of a collection in mind (10, 100, 5000, 1000, 50,000 coins?)

- Do you work off of a "wantlist"? How has your wantlist changed over time? How rigid are you with following your wantlist and plans?

- What's the longest you've waited to find a coin you've wanted? How long have you been waiting for your current target?

- What portion of purchases do you make privately vs from auctions?

- How often do you handle your coins or look at your pictures?

- How much time do you spend searching for lost pedigrees?

- How many books/catalogs do you own or have easy access to?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

I really like the Roman Empire, so my focus has been during that time period, but I often stray. More specifically, my current focus is Roman Antioch (though that's growing to include general Syria). I've also become more fascinated with Roman Egypt recently. But Roman Imperial is my general baseline (but I get distracted easily :().

- Do you have a rough size of a collection in mind (10, 100, 5000, 1000, 50,000 coins?)
    No, not really. 1000 seems like a lot to me right now, but talk to me an about a couple years and at that point 5000 will probably seem like a lot.

- Do you work off of a "wantlist"? How has your wantlist changed over time? How rigid are you with following your wantlist and plans?
    I have a non-standard or unofficial want list... Just mentally and watching coins on vcoins and ebay as a way to remember. I'm not rigid really in any way to it.

- What's the longest you've waited to find a coin you've wanted? How long have you been waiting for your current target?
    I've only been collecting for almost 2 years, so... But I'm generally impatient and will probably buy a lesser grade coin or get distracted with another interesting coin while waiting for a coin. So far my waiting has been relegated to only a few months.

I'd say 85% from eBay, 10% vcoins, 3-4% big auctions, 1-2% private deals.

Handle: Daily or weekly. Look at pictures: daily.

Not really any time at all as most of my acquisitions are from individuals and may never have passed through an auction house. Maybe the provenance starts with me as it's first documented owner?

I have a few books, mainly one official reference book with plate cons. Otherwise I use what's available online or the gracious help of those wise members with the books (thank you!).

4. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

I’ve been mulling some of these questions in the last year, and my current plan is this:

The albums I use to store my coins hold 60 coins comfortably. So this has been the parameter I am now working with. 4 albums total, two will be my “focus” areas. One album for medieval Norman coins, and the other for the coins of Caracalla. One album will be general medieval coins, and another for General Ancient Coins. When the general albums reach 60, I will need to sell something to make room for something else. Once the “focus” albums are filled, I intend on selling them and using the proceeds to start another focus, preferably with higher quality coins. After Caracalla, I think I may go for Roman Republican. After the Normans, I’m not sure where in the Middle Ages I’ll go!

(And I guess I have a fifth album where I keep coins that I use in my classroom - those I won’t sell unless I decide to upgrade, or get out of the teaching biz...)

5. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

#1Does the coin depict an interesting historical figure?

#2. Do I like it?
    #3. Is it a coin I have wanted for some time?
    #4. How will the target coin fit into my collection?
    #5. Is it a coin I will still like 10 years from now?
    #6. Does the coin have an interesting history (provenance)?

Currently I have 107 coins

12 Caesars= 51 coins
    Mediaeval= 42 coins
    Other Roman coins=19
    Coins that do not fit the above categories=5

I do not have a specific target but I am fairly particular about what I add so I could imagine adding another 50-100 coins in the next few years.

I have loose want list. For my 12 Caesars I am especially interested in usual or rare reverse types. For my mediaeval coins I have 2 areas of focus: The family of Eleanor of Aquitaine, and Historical figure dramatized by Shakespeare.

I have had several coins in mind since I began collecting in April 2015. So the longest I have waited is about 3.5 years. I have wanted a nice denarius of Cassius for about 3 years. I simply have not found the right one yet. It is a similar story for Richard III.

95% are from auctions

I look at my coins everyday. Try to imagine who held them and what they used them for.

I do this whenever I get a new acquisition. If I cannot find much information at first try I go back a few days or weeks later and try again.

I have at least 50 references available. To me they are a good investment for a collector of ancient coins.

NLL, galba68, Marsyas Mike and 11 others like this.
  6. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

If they speak to me, or they contribute to a story told by other coins curently in my collection. Sometimes I just buy a coin for the heck of it if it only costs me less than 50 cents.

No, but it has to be manageable. I'm focusing on quality over quantity, so coins are being added much more slowly than before. I sold off a good portion of my collection, so it is much more manageable now.

Not really. There are several types which I know I am after, but I only act on them when the opportunity presents itself. Sometimes (like for my set of coins from each city I visited) I do create a vague wantlist. Sometimes I have a few coins that I am on the hunt for and everything else takes the back seat.

From filling in holes a few years ago to now being very open-ended.

Not at all. I feel being rigid wastes many valuable opportunities.

I'm still waiting on a type I have been after for a few years. I can't seem to find one I like at a time I can afford it.

I had been waiting to get the florin I just bought for several months.

About half and half.

Every day.

I don't, but I should.

Many.

7. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Cost, I look for coins that catch my eye and tend to go unnoticed. Many times this yields me many bargains for comparable coins on Vcoins, dealers, or over price regular auction houses that tack on high fees/shipping.

No

Not too much. I have a mental list and most of it consists of Roman Imperials, Medievals, Alexandria/Syria Tetradrachms.

But I often stray to Persian, Byzantine, Sasanian.

I also love World Moderns equally as much as Ancients. So when ancients/medievals go in a dry period, I drift to world moderns.

A couple of years.

I still have 2 wants. One is rare, other is expensive but I await a cheap version to appear.

Mainly ebay, follow by Vcoins and couple of other dealers.

Private not so much unless a fellow CT has something I like & priced right.

Literally 3 times a week. It's relaxing. Plus some I always watch for bronze disease.

Not much at all. Honestly don't care. If I find an old auction or something that has a coin I got, great, if not, o well.

4 & whatever is online.

8. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

I generally collect Roman Imperial and Provincial coins. In some cases I collect provincials when an equivalent imperial coin of a ruler is difficult to acquire. I also have been specializing recently in coins of Roman Egypt, inspired by the great coins shown here on Cointalk. @TIF 's examples come to mind.

I have 739 coins currently including several hundred late roman bronze pieces acquired from uncleaned hoards, which is how I got started back in the hobby in 2016. I expect I'll eventually have 2,000-3,000.

I have a definitive wantlist - a Tiberius tribute penny, an elephant Caesar, various solidi and so forth. Right now I am trying to finish out the third century - have yet to find a good quality Etruscus, Hostilian, and Saloninus that is up to my standards - good strike, clean metal, good condition.

I have been waiting for the right tribute penny for about six months.

Approximately 50% privately and 50% from auctions. I actually enjoy the auction process because of the action and the ebbs and flows of the results.

Since I am active on Cointalk I look at pictures pretty much daily, and on average I inspect coins in my collection every few days. I'm still attributing my coins. I've been looking at several monogrammed 5th century coins that I have been unable to attribute so far. The portraits and legends are more or less no help, so the particular design of the monogram is probably the best clue to an identification.

I haven't gotten into that very much, but it sounds highly interesting.

I have a number of coin-related books but most of my efforts are online so far.

9. Silver Rider

Silver Rider Member

I see a coin I like, of I have the money, I buy it. I buy coins by the lb
    And go through they, if I like it, it in my collection, if I don't sell
    It at a flea market. Life is simple for me.

jamesicus, AncientJoe and Theodosius like this.
  10. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I buy coins that speak to me. I try to avoid coins I already have but I make mistakes in that department.

I was very proud of myself finishing 2018 with the same number of coins I had on January 1, 2018. To do that, I gave away (and sold a few) as many coins as I bought. This year I am being more realistic and going to try to stay under 3500 total. So far this year I have 3 new coins and am really trying to cut back on the addiction.

No.

Since I don't work from a want list, I should not have an answer for this one but I do. I have wanted a liberal Aes Grave as for over 50 years and a denarius of Septimius Severus overstruck on a denarius of Pescennius Niger for 25 years. Neither is very likely to happen. I could but the as and not buy much else for the year but I would not enjoy it enough to make that the right thing to do. I will get the denarius as a sleeper if luck is with me.....or not.

I'd guess 90% from shows or privately from dealers and 10% from auctions.

I touch some coin daily and try to touch every coin at least once a year. All of my coins have not been in the same place all at once for about three years when I repackaged them to fit the bank boxes and home trays better. Now I have a lot of trays that are empty. Pictures: Every day! I probably shoot some coin on average once a week when I discover photos I can't stand. Some I improve, some make me want to get rid of the coin so it stops bothering me I can't get the photo right.

None. If I see one of my coins when looking at old sales, I'll note it but most of my coins did not qualify for photos in the pre-digital period so I won't find as many as people who collect $four digit coins might. There was a time it was likely you would find as many denarii of Pertinax and Pescennius Niger illustrated in some catalogs as you would those of Septimius Severus in high end sales.

I estimate a couple thousand of which over half are in the attic untouched since I moved 16 years ago. I really don't know what to do with them since postage would exceed the value of some. There was a time that the mail brought a new catalog at least 3-4 days a week. Now I am lucky to get that many a year. A friend gave me a bunch of his a couple years ago and I looked at them and the better stuff I keep on shelves but rarely find time to think about the attic material. I really should before I pass away and all go to the recycle unsorted. Can I count my letters from other collectors received back in the pre-internet days when we had to stick stamps on envelopes to talk coins? Some of them are interesting and deserve to be reread but that is like the attic catalogs. I'd get more of that done if I stopped spending so much time online

11. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

The primary goal for my Flavian collection is to systematically collect silver and representatively collect bronze.

No. Last year I acquired the largest safe deposit box my bank offers. I am set for a long time to come.

For silver I do. With bronze I just add coins that appeal to me one way or another, whether historically or numismatically.

10-15 years for some of the rare ones. My latest coin I watched for 4 months before pulling the trigger.

60% from dealers, 40% from auctions. A small percentage from private deals with other collectors.

Everyday.

Not as often as I should. I am sure there are some lost pedigrees residing in my collection.

I have well over 1000 books on ancient Rome (a good portion centred on Flavian Rome), a large number of auction catalogues, and all the major Flavian numismatic references. Plus, hundreds of academic papers and journals concerned with different aspects of Flavian Rome.

That approach goes against every fibre of my being! Quite horrifying actually. lol

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
  12. Carausius

Carausius Brother, can you spare a sestertius?

My focus is Roman Republic, so whether I need the type is the first parameter. While I make exceptions, I try to buy the best condition I can comfortably afford with attention to centering, strike and surfaces. Style is a factor, though often less so for Roman Republic than for Greek coins. Finally, I try to buy coins that look like they've been above ground for many decades - i.e. old collection toning - and that may have an old, undiscovered provenance.

Not really a major concern. Since I keep my collection in a safe deposit box, I'd like to remain within a size that will fit in my box.

I try to avoid want lists. Instead I try to buy opportunistically as good coins (meeting my above criteria) are available. Want lists cause me to make concessions that I sometimes regret or to skip other buying opportunities that I might regret.

Not applicable - see above!

Presently, I'd say 70-30 in favor of auctions. 20 years ago, it may have been the other way around. The internet and frequency of auctions has changed the dynamics.

Daily. My coins are in the Bank, but I maintain a collection database with photos. I'm often working on the database, inputting new coins or updating old ones.

Quite a lot of time, actually. It's become a virtual second hobby for me. I do this partly out of interest in knowing the collectors and dealers that have handled and appreciated my coins in the past, and partly out of concern about governmental interference with collecting ancient coins. I generally buy coins for which I think I can find an old provenance Then the hunt is on!!

I own many many numismatic books and old auction catalogues. I have all the current "standard" references for my areas of interest, as well as many historic references (such as Babelon, Cohen, Sydenham and BMCRR for Roman Republic). I also have books on ancient history for my periods of interest - i.e. certain vols of Cambridge Ancient History, Plutarch, Livy etc. I have a large library of ancient coin auction catalogues to aid my provenance hunts. Most are pre-1970 and contain strong offerings of Roman Republican coins. I sometimes use online sources for auction catalogues also, though I really prefer working with books. I even have books about numismatic books, such as bibliographies and numismatic literary histories, that can be very useful as well.

13. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I'll try not be contrary here, but that's too much for my old mind to think about. When I see something I like and can afford, I'll buy or bid on it. Yes, I have several focus collections, i.e., MA Legionary denarii, twelve Caesars, etc. But in fact I don't think about the questions posed when I look to buy. I'm a simple guy who likes Ancient Greek and Roman coins. I try not to make my life complicated. It's complicated enough. Not sure if I made any sense in this short paragraph, but there you have it. Not complicated.

14. Nvb

Nvb Well-Known Member

I also keep it simple.

I buy coins that grab the eye and have some sort of unique/ interesting quality to them that pulls me in.

Greek coins seem to strike me most often - followed by Celtic (when they are good they are great),roman, and eastern coins.
    I don't have a plan, other than to have a totally awesome collection without having to eat cat food in retirement as a consequence.

I want to keep a small-ish hoard of only pieces I LOVE.
    There are far too many merely likeable examples out there, one must keep a high standard. Already planning to sell a few that don't make the cut.

Collection around 50 pieces total for now. 50% vcoins/ Ma-shops 40% auctions, 10% ebay.

My want list is short but scarce and expensive so I will surely be waiting months/ years for the right examples to come my way.

15. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

I collect Historically, not numismatically. I have been in manufacturing of consumer products for over 40 years, so the minting / manufacturing and their nuances really does not interest me. That is why I abandoned modern coins - too much concern about a mint error or nuance, especially since Ancients being hand made. Hence, my Historical approach to my hobby, and not me worrying about how coins are made. (I have a pretty good idea generally, but am not going to claim being an expert.) I am not a scholar, rather I am an average guy that appreciates History and the coins that are their placeholders.

I focus mainly on the Roman Republic, and those entities that interacted with them. Particularly Carthage, Italia, Capua, Etruria, Samnium, etc. I also enjoy Achaemenids, Diadochi, Ancient India, Ancent China, and Ancient Historical figures. I would like to venture into Celtics, but want to immerse myself into their History first, especially since I am of Celtic lineage. I enjoy the eclectic vs. “what everyone else has”.

I have over 1,000 Ancient coins and do not care how many I capture. I am collecting as a Journey, not as an end... it enables me to enjoy amassing as a hobby, as a diversion, not as a strict discipline.

I do not focus on the Roman Empire, but I have somehow, slowly accumulated over 150 Rulers that I plan to pass on to my Grandkids. That was a surprise to me, and had been an afterthought. Now it is fun to add a coin from a Ruler as a new placeholder.

I also enjoy small artifacts from Ancient History. Further, I collect Egyptian Scarabs, mainly Pharoahs and Royalty.

Probly have over 50 Ancients books.

Have captured coins from many different sources, including friends, auctions, coin shops, online dealers, mugging people in back alleys, and stealing baby’s piggy-banks. :)

I don’t handle my coins, I fondle them, imagining their use, transactions, and their historical milieu. I view pics as needed.

I try not to obsess over my collection, rather I enjoy it as a welcome diversion.

tibor, Marsyas Mike, GregH and 9 others like this.
  16. Nvb

Nvb Well-Known Member

I work in manufacturing too -semiconductor - and yes the occasional failure of mass production equipment is hardly something to get excited about with regards to 'mint errors'.

17. jamesicus

jamesicus Well-Known Member

Like Bing I do not want to come across as a contrarian, but I just can’t fit what I want to say in Joe’s framework. So here is my response:

I prefer coins that have been circulated and show the wear and tear of everyday use - but well struck with complete and readable inscriptions if possible. I do enjoy looking at very high quality coins however.

I have disposed of most of my coins but not all of them. I have kept back a few coins that I have a special fondness for so that I may continue to pursue this hobby (in a more relaxed and limited way) that has provided me so much pleasure and enjoyment for most of my lifetime. I have planned this for some time and now that task is well on the way to completion. Paradoxically, I have recently purchased a few coins - but only to upgrade (in accordance with my criteria) one’s in my residual collection. Along the way I have disassembled my Britannic Tetrarchic and London Mint reduced folles collections almost entirely, along with most of my British Usurper Augusti coin collection plus several Julio-Claudian coins.

I decided to keep a collection of twenty of my very favorite Roman Imperial coins - an Abafil tray full - mainly because I simply couldn’t bear to part with them (and I want to conduct more research on them). I have retained twenty coins that are especially concordant with my long-time criteria:

1. Significant historical association

2. Reasonably well centered strike

3. Clear and complete inscriptions (as much as possible)

4. Elegant and well formed inscriptional lettering

5. Roman Britain (especially Claudian) connection

My main goal has been to retain a very small “swan song” collection of coins that I can fondle and admire (which I do almost daily) and read about in my “golden years”. But the coins I have disposed of live on - on my web pages that is - that I frequently browse to renew acquaintances with old friends.

To reiterate, I have always sought out and collected coins with significant historical association rather than just aesthetic appeal or completing sets of coin types. Condition of coins and appearance of surfaces has always been of secondary importance to me - and I do admire elegant inscriptional lettering.

Added via Edit:

I have reduced my reference library considerably - As with my coins, I have retained a “hard core” selection of books I especially treasure.

My selection of twenty coins has nothing to do with current “minimalist thinking” - it is just coincidental.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
  18. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

As a recipient of one of your books I must thank you again James.

jamesicus and Alegandron like this.
  19. jamesicus

You are most welcome - I hold it to be very important that my no longer used reference books end up in good hands where they will be appreciated and used by dedicated collectors.

Orfew likes this.
  20. jamesicus

Here are the Julio-Claudian sestertii I decided to keep:

[​IMG][​IMG]
    RIC Vol. I, CAIUS (CALIGULA), SESTERTIUS, Rome, No. 51, 40-41AD, (35mm, 26.2gm)
    Obverse depiction: Personification of Pietas, seated left
    Obverse Inscription: C CAESAR DIVI AVG PRON AVG PM TRP IIII PP In exergue: PIETAS
    Reverse depiction: Caligula standing left holding patera over altar - attendants (victimarius) on either side holding bull for sacrifice - hexastyle temple of Divus Augustus festooned
    with garlands in background.
    Reverse Horizontal Inscription: {small lettering} DIVO AVG and below: S C (left and right)

[​IMG][​IMG]
    RIC Vol. I, NERO, SESTERTIUS, Rome, No. 356, 66-67AD, (36mm, 24.8gm)
    BMCRE Vol. I, NERO, SESTERTIUS, Rome, No. 114, 66-67AD,
    Obverse depiction: Nero, laureate head facing right
    Reverse depiction: Personification of Roma seated left on cuirass
    resting elbow on shield and holding spear, helmet behind

[​IMG][​IMG]

Sestertius, RIC, Vol. I, Tiberius, No. 68, AD 36-37 (35mm, 22.6gm)
    Cataloged in Wildwinds under Augustus - Sear 1784
    Coin obverse depiction: Augustus, radiate, togate, holding laurel branch in r. hand and long sceptre in l., seated on throne, placed on a car, drawn l. by four elephants, each bearing a mahout on its neck. The side of the car is ornamented with shields (?)
    Inscription across top in three lines DIVO AVGVSTO SPQR
    Coin reverse depiction: Large, centered S C
    Inscription clockwise from top: TI CAESAR DIVI AVG F AVGVST PM TR POT XXXIIX

[​IMG][​IMG]
    RIC Vol. I, CLAUDIUS, SESTERTIUS, Rome, No. 112, 50-54AD (36mm, 28.2gm)
    Obverse depiction: Claudius, laureate head facing right
    Reverse depiction: Civic Oak Wreath
    Inscription in four lines:
    EX SC
    P P
    OB CIVES
    SERVATOS
    (within wreath)

[​IMG][​IMG]
    RIC Vol. I, CLAUDIUS, SESTERTIUS, Rome, No. 109, 42-43AD (38mm, 28.0gm)
    Obverse depiction: Nero Claudius Drusus (father of Claudius), bare head facing left
    Reverse depiction: Claudius seated left on curule chair holding olive branch,
    panoply of weapons and armor beneath

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
    Paul M., NLL, dadams and 9 others like this.
  21. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

I have realized over time that my interest is in certain historical personages or eras that I deem important and extremely interesting. Not in minor variances or mints (I admire those who collect this way - just not my thing). I am trying to collect better coins than I previously purchased but if the option is to get a VF coin of one ruler - but I could maybe obtain 3 slightly lesser coins (that I deem quite acceptable and catch my eye) I would rather own coins of those 3. That is a general statement and not always true - but all I care about is if the coin is an acceptable and handsome example to me .. not to anyone elses grading system or purchased to get the ooohs and aaahs ... I do not spend as much on coins as many here - but do I ever love looking at great examples! I think all of us here are in a wonderful position where we can spend money on a hobby that we love and not have to worry about our next meal. Sometimes that is a great thing to reflect on.

- Do you have a rough size of a collection in mind (10, 100, 5000, 1000, 50,000 coins?) - I have maybe 60 coins... my issue is that my answer includes the word "maybe".. one of my goals in 2019 is proper organization and documentation. I think maybe 200 - 300 would be a good number.. but who knows how this will grow?

I recently started setting goals and working to attain them. I am learning not to just grab everything that looks like a deal or is pleasing in the moment. One thing I have learned is that there are thousands of coins for sale.. another will come around - no reason for panic buys. Of course I have "dream" coins I would love and holes to fill - if they come around at the right moment I will jump at those.. but I am learning restraint. Its hard.

Maybe 3 months on attainable coins that I wanted.. the dream list may take years or never arrive. I am learning patience.

I have purchased maybe 8 coins at shows.. maybe 20 on online auctions and the other 30ish from online trusted sellers.. a couple from private purchases - but just coins posted on CoinTalk as for sale. I don't really know anyone who sells coins.

Handle them daily .. maybe a couple of times a month for pictures (I am behind on that).

Zero. I do not find any interest in this subject... I would love to know who used the coin in antiquity, what they spent it on and the work they conducted to earn the coin.. how far the coin traveled, etc.. but to know that some businessman or previous collector owned the coin or what shop sold the coin? Why does that even matter? If we all know the coin is a legitimate ancient coin who cares who owned it over the last 3% (mostly less) of its existence? No thanks - adds nothing for me.. But to each his own. If the coin is legitimate I see no need for any provenance. The coin itself is what matters to me. Just my opinion and not meant to upset collectors who value this. The great thing about this hobby is how you can personalize it: collect the way you want and how you want.

I have 3 books on the subject of ancient coins.. 2 of which were gifted to me from the good people here on CoinTalk - this is something I will never forget and will ensure that the books are forwarded on in time. History books make up the bulk of my reading material.

Draft saved Draft deleted