Paper Wave... What is it?

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Endeavor, Mar 25, 2016.

1. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

On a few occasions I have read some collectors writing about paper wave. They speak of it as if it's something good. I always thought the flatter the better, so long as the paper was crisp and unaltered. So what is this paper wave thing that seems to be desirable?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

Unless it occurs as part of the production process, and is therefor an error enhancing it's value, it's post production damage and can't be considered positive or good. I have never heard it described any other way.

Endeavor likes this.
  4. Dave M

Dave M Francophiliac

Most notes printed in France in the 20th C. have a natural wave in the paper. If you find such a note that's perfectly flat, it's been pressed.

Endeavor likes this.
  5. lettow

lettow Senior Member

When referring to US paper money, paper wave was a product of the wet printing process that was used by the BEP until the early 1950s. It is considered a sign of originality on the paper if a note exhibits paper wave. It is not an error.

6. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

I can't say I have ever run across one. I am prone to collect large size currency. Is this something related to just the small sized notes?

7. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

Endeavor likes this.
  8. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

It is tough to get old guys. As soon I thought about it a little more, the words WEB Offset Printing came to mind. Bells, whistles and sirens went off in my head. I think I have watched this process demonstrated by the mint at every ANA Money Show I have attended. The mind comes and goes when you least expect it. Thank goodness it still comes back for me and this condition isn't permanent......yet. :>)

Endeavor likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted