Paper money

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Marites Foertsch, Jun 3, 2020.

1. VistaCruiser69

VistaCruiser69 Well-Known Member

Is that Tagalag?

Marites Foertsch likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Marites Foertsch

Marites Foertsch Honey bunch

Bisaya you understand

4. Marites Foertsch

Yes before I got here in the US people already know I like to buy like jewelry or appliances. But here I change my hobby and like to start Buying, collecting valuable coins.pass time and I like it while I’m bored in my work..

5. VistaCruiser69

A little bit. I lived in the Philippines as a civilian for a few years when I was in my 20's.

Back then I could get better exchange rates with larger US bills when I would go to the little currency exchanges out in town. Perhaps these large bills are from one such currency exchange. But I wouldn't buy them from overseas, because they may be counterfeit. And that would make perfect sense on why they want to sell you $300 USD for only $50. I may be wrong about that, but....I wouldn't rule it completely out.

6. Marites Foertsch

Yes that’s why I’m thinking if it’s this a real money.

7. Marites Foertsch

that’s nice you live in my country. I’m sure you try all Filipino’s dishes and sing karaoke you know that’s our nature..

8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

The 3 $100 bills are only worth face value. So is the Dollar coin.

9. VistaCruiser69

If it were genuine why wouldn't the seller just go to the bank and exchange it for pesos? They would definitely get a lot more for it than $50USD.

I got word after the fact that they preferred large bills at the little local exchanges because it had something to do with counterfeiting and the black markets. This was like a year or two after I had already exchanged lots of larger denomination paper currency. I never found out if that was just a rumor or if in fact it was true.

10. Marites Foertsch

Good morning sir thank you so much...

11. Marites Foertsch

Exactly that’s why I am telling her I will show you.why you sell me that price that you can go to the store to exchange 5000pesos in $100 and then that’s $300 total of 15thousand pesos..that’s why I said is this real paper money because I even doubt too..

12. VistaCruiser69

Of course I tried many foods there. I used to do a lot of traveling around the entire country so I tried many foods. I was a singer in a band so we hardly ever did karaoke, unless we were at a party or something without all the equipment and they wanted us to participate in singing.

13. Marites Foertsch

Wow nice we’re both singer then. We love singing like in my jungle place everyday had karaoke...

14. VistaCruiser69

"Jungle place"? Are you saying that you lived out where there was no electricity? I know about all that as well. We used to do a lot of parties out in places that didn't have electricity. So we had a few large generators as part of our equipment that we used to take with us.

Anyways, Good luck with the purchasing of the US currency. Hope it all works out well.

15. Marites Foertsch

Correct no electricity until I was 18years old only rich people had electricity because they can afford to buy generators..yes sir, its complicated unless I will learned. I lost a lot already for buying that’s why Im finding error so hard all the coins I buy isn’t that funny lol ...

16. Marites Foertsch

17. VistaCruiser69

You can buy that coin for $5.00 through your "friend" plus shipping fees, or....you can go to the bank and get five, probably brand new ones, for only $5.00, if you are in the states (US). What would you rather do? It's up to you.

18. Marites Foertsch

That’s right cost me more money but I don’t know why I am very easy to convince is like I’m hypnotized hahaha .Yes bank is good idea lots of member here advice me that. I already had some rolls tomorrow I will be busy checking it lol

19. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

The $100 notes look real to me. One of the reasons they may be offerring them at a discount to face value (but that is a huge discount) is because the currency exchanges may refuse to accept them. Due to a fear of counterfeit notes many places will only accept $100's if they are brand new. Worn or wrinkled notes are looked upon with suspicion. Then you have the added problem here that these are older notes. They don't have the large portraits, no security strip, no watermark, no color shifting ink, and the first note is a 1934 that doesn't have IN GOD WE TRUST on it (plus the ink is darker than on current notes) And with most countries once a currency is changed the old currency is demonitized. They may worry that these note are no longer any good. Put all that together and it would not be surprising to have the notes refused for exchange.

20. Marites Foertsch

She was replaying my questions you are right sir that’s what she was explaining me...

21. goossen

goossen Senior Member

It looked fishy AF at the beginning, but after reading Conder101's explanation it started to make sense.
    So my question is, can you get in trouble with law if the notes are counterfeit? Let's say if you go to the bank and try to deposit them.

If it's possible to have them verified I would totally take the risk of losing $50.

But that's me, I'm a gambler :) And not US resident, so unfamiliar with the laws. Take my advice with a grain of salt.

Draft saved Draft deleted