Paper Money Scam

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Coinlover, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Coinlover

Coinlover The Coin Collector

check out this seller on ebay. he is trying to sell an "error 1988A note". thats clearly an uncut sheet he just took some sissors too. just look at the serial number clearly an uncut sheet. for the new people this is what to look out for. ;)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. DJP7x0s

DJP7x0s Sometimes Coins Arouse Me

Hum??? I believe that an uncut sheet is likely the case. But how can you tell by the serial numbers??? Wouldnt they be numbered the same whether its an uncut sheet or if its genuine??? I really dont know how anyone could tell the difference.

4. clembo

clembo A closed mind is no mind

Good eye Coinloveer!

I just contacted the seller very politely and told him. This is my message to him.

"This is not an error note. It was hand cut from an uncut sheet from the Bureau of Engraving and Printing.
    Any 1988 note with a serial number higher than 96000000 comes from an uncut sheet.

The difference in serial numbers is from the way a sheet is printed.

I am not implying you were aware of this just letting you know and I would suggest you terrminate the auction.

Sincerely,

my ebay name here"

5. adelv_unegv

adelv_unegv New Member

http://www.uspapermoney.info/serials/f1988as.html

The highest circulation-issue for that note would be A 96000000 B. Except, of course, the uncut sheets sold to collectors. The serial on the ebay note A 99954041 B.

6. DJP7x0s

DJP7x0s Sometimes Coins Arouse Me

Alright, thank you.

7. Daggarjon

Daggarjon Supporter**

this note is nothing but post-mint damge IMHO

8. cesariojpn

cesariojpn Coin Hoarder

Hmmmmmm........

9. clembo

The response I got was

"thanks for the info"

Really hope the guy ends the auction.

10. gatzdon

gatzdon Numismatist

Definitely cut from an uncut sheet.

Now the real question for you guys. Say you were at the bank, the teller found this note, and offered to let you have it at face value, would you

1. Buy it and keep it?
    2. Pass on it?
    3. Tell her it's post BEP damage and it should be put in the mutilated pile?

11. Daggarjon

Daggarjon Supporter**

honestly, for face value - i would of course keep it. Knowing how it was made would be noted on the holder - same is true of my counterfeit notes - but i would buy it for face!

12. ziggy9

ziggy9 *NEC SPERNO NEC TIMEO*

if it isn't removed by close of day today it should be reported to the powers that be (nicely) so they have time to look into it before the auction ends. I find that if you give E-Bay information like that quoted above you have a better chance of them listening.

Richard

13. clembo

Bidding up to $61 and he has been told it's fake. Time to report it I'm afraid.

clembo

14. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

"Q: Did you cut this pair of bills from the uncut sheet this way?"

He has posted this question in the auction, bidders have plenty of time to retract their bids if they would like. If they are foolish enough to bid so high than I say fine, let them Clembo. As long as bidders have been made aware I see no problem with the auction. If he was really trying to be a fraud than I doubt he would post a Q&A like that. BTW Coinlover, did you get my PM reply that I sent a couple of days ago?

15. clembo

Ok,

My bad was that I didn't see this addition to the auction. However, he does NOT tell that people have pointed it out as a fake without a doubt. He's walking a thin line here.

Yeah - Caveat Emptor but he has been told the truth and now knows it's the truth but failed to put my little remark in there which was very polite and informative by the way.

I have not reported this auction at this time but will and suggest others do as well. He knows it's fake and chose the least "incriminating" question. Can anyone justify this as right?

16. Daggarjon

Daggarjon Supporter**

besides, i only read all the auction details BEFORE i bid. once i bid, i dontlook back unless its at the bid price. If there is a problem after the sale, i will re-read the auction details, but not between the time i bid the first time and auction end.

i agree with clembo here!

Draft saved Draft deleted